EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   how much I spent on ecomodding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-i-spent-ecomodding-21333.html)

mcrews 04-06-2012 05:01 PM

how much I spent on ecomodding

(mod, feel free to create an appropiate title)

a recent 'hater' said that we waste $$$ on modding for eco.
so I want to start a thread where we post the cost and the gain.
If each poster will then that the rolling total from the last post and add there numbers.

2002 Infiniti Q45 Sport
Total cost of all mods (for eco from beginning to now) $433

miles driven 55,000
epa 18/22mpg
overall improvement 20%
average gas price (over total time eco-ing)$3.00/gal

my savings over the 55,000 miles is $1650
(cut & paste & add your results

THREAD TOTAL:
COST TO ECOMOD.......$433
SAVINGS...................$1650
NET SAVINGS.............$$1217

jsatter 04-06-2012 05:13 PM

I've spent about $50 on materials and maybe 5 hours of time in labor for 30% gain. I've saved $564 since I started tracking my mileage on the site. Winning, I say.

Frank Lee 04-06-2012 05:24 PM

Well lessee...

coroplast = free.
lowered via cut springs, using stock replacement struts = free (yeah the struts cost but that's no ecomod as the car needed them regardless).
high tire psi = free.
Tempo accessory drive rework around $23 but I'd never replaced the belt in the 12 years I've owned it so that was going to happen anyway. I'd call that cost $10 for the two pulleys I bought. BUT WAIT! The new belt was about half the length and half the cost so I "made" $12.
What am I up to? -$2? Not even counting any fuel savings...

mcrews 04-06-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsatter (Post 298674)
i've spent about $50 on materials and maybe 5 hours of time in labor for 30% gain. I've saved $564 since i started tracking my mileage on the site. Winning, i say.

thread total:
Cost to ecomod.......$433 + 50
savings...................$1650 + 564
net savings.............$$1217 + 514

thread total:
Cost to ecomod.......$483
savings...................$2214
net savings.............$$1731

mcrews 04-06-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 298678)
Well lessee...

coroplast = free.
lowered via cut springs, using stock replacement struts = free (yeah the struts cost but that's no ecomod as the car needed them regardless).
high tire psi = free.
Tempo accessory drive rework around $23 but I'd never replaced the belt in the 12 years I've owned it so that was going to happen anyway. I'd call that cost $10 for the two pulleys I bought. BUT WAIT! The new belt was about half the length and half the cost so I "made" $12.
What am I up to? -$2? Not even counting any fuel savings...

Frank Lee,
try to come up with a fuel savings and the edit you post with the ##:thumbup:

oil pan 4 04-06-2012 06:16 PM

Where was this h8ter last sighted?

On a diesel nearly every eco mod boosts power and performance, a lot of power and preformance mods boost fuel economy.
So have I been ecomodding or something more sinister?

Sven7 04-06-2012 06:20 PM

If I drove more it would make more of a difference... only 3400mi since August, mostly on small road trips.

Thread total:
Cost to ecomod.......~$50?, mostly duct tape
savings...................$203
net savings.............$150

thread total:
Cost to ecomod.......$533
savings...................$2417
net savings.............$$1881

some_other_dave 04-06-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 298669)
a recent 'hater' said that we waste $$$ on modding for eco.
so I want to start a thread where we post the cost and the gain.

You realize you can't win, right? If you do lots of home-brew stuff that doesn't cost much money, you "make your car look like ****", and if you invest the $$ and time and effort it takes to make a really slick-looking mod "you waste money".

I think that all of Basjoos' mods have run him a total of something like $650? That's including the engine swap. But the "h8rs" call it "ugly" because he didn't spend $15,000 on a carbon-fiber body kit that doesn't actually do anything beneficial for the car...

My mods? So far, the only one that has cost any money is the ScanGauge. I get my coroplast for free (from local campaign HQ!) and compressed air is free at the gas station.

-soD

cbaber 04-06-2012 09:15 PM

I had to replace the engine and I am getting ready to replace the tires, but those would have happened with or without ecomodding. So really the only thing I have bought for the car is the Arduino R3 for my Mpguino. I already had the other parts required laying around.

Cost: $35
Saved (5 tanks of gas since I started tracking): $36
Savings: $1 lol

And I should also point out that just by modifying my driving I was able to gain 17% of EPA. Thats free ecomodding!

jtbo 04-07-2012 12:14 AM

I have used mostly garbage to power my modding needs, gains were from ~5l/100km to ~3.6l/100km last summer, costs were more or less 0 as attachment bits I would needed anyway as well as paint etc for bumper patching, but to be bit on a safe side let's say a tenner.

If I round up a bit and put 1l/100km for difference it would be 22.51l saved when I drove with full mods, maybe around 30€ savings from that alone, but there are savings from partial mods too, which add bit to that.

If I would driven all the time with full mods, then savings would of been lot more of course, but my car is still at developing stage, doing experiments etc, so I should really while those to development savings.

I hope to get more permanent mods installed relatively soon so that I could make more savings, but as it is of now, there is very small amount of driving that I need to do and it will take long time to do even a fill up, even longer with mods.

I used to get around 1000km with a tank, with mods 1500km, so that much is change in reality, but some of that comes from hypermiling too, so there is no very definitive answer to how much truly because of mods, however savings are more than costs put to mods.