Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

GeeOh - '97 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 33.41 mpg (US)
Metro EGR passage cleanout needed -- any tips?

I have not had a functioning EGR circuit for several years. They way I used to drive I would have almost never been closed-loop anyway, so I wasn't to worried about it. My new mileage-conscious self is spending a lot more time under lean conditions at low RPMs, though, so I am fearing for my exhaust valves and such. Of course, if nothing else, it is hurting my mileage and spewing bad gases.

When the light first came on and I had the code read, I went right out and bought a new valve. That wasn't the problem, as I know now is pretty standard on these cars. I also know that what is pretty standard is the passages through the head and manifolds getting completely plugged, so that's my plan. There is no shortage of info about dealing with this on the 'net, but I thought I would ask here for any suggestions before I go ahead. I am hoping to get this done this weekend if my damn cheap-o harbor freight torque wrench and vacuum pump show up, so I can test and reassemble properly. Anyway, the plan:

Pull the EGR valve, obviously.

Unbolt the exhaust header and lower it to lay on the ground. No need to unbolt ('specially since I don't have bolts there anymore ;--) the header from the rest of the exhaust. Will need a new gasket to replace this. Good idea to get new hardware, too. That all seems straightforward enough. Then I can clean out the passage through the head and the little bit through the exhaust manifold, using the method of a bit of coathanger or stiff stranded wire spun in a drill. Carb cleaner if necessary, but I understand that turns ugly real quick. Then blast some compressed air through.

The intake side I am a little less clear on. Do I need to pull the throttle body and/or manifold, or can I just work my cable up there from the EGR valve's intake port? For that matter, could I just do it that way for the exhaust as well?

Thanks for any info.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Most people have luck with various sized bottle brushes and coat hangers. If you get the exhaust manifold off, the head port should not be a problem. After clearing the port, start it up with the EGR valve off to blow out loose pieces.

On the TB side, it would be much easier to do the job with the TB out, but you can still get lucky with wire or pipe cleaners.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

GeeOh - '97 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 33.41 mpg (US)
Okay, great. Thanks.

Reply  Post New Thread