EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Hypermilers in Calgary? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermilers-calgary-19061.html)

Green Eggs and Sam 10-06-2011 05:15 PM

Hypermilers in Calgary?

Hey everyone!

I am a reporter and photographer for a community newspaper, The Calgary Journal. I am a third year university student, and I am interested in writing a journalism story about Hypermiling and it would help me fill a requirement in one of my Natural Sciences class! I would like to talk to someone from Calgary (preferably) or even Alberta about why they hypermile, and what techniques they use.

I would love to get some photos of you and your wheels!

It would be ideal that I can get in touch with someone sooner than later, and it would make my life.

Thanks!

redyaris 10-06-2011 09:16 PM

Read everything on the home page, try the recomendations, keep a Journal of your progress and write about that.

Green Eggs and Sam 10-06-2011 10:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, my requirements for the story don't allow for me to undertake this endeavour in that way.... Which sucks. I'm working on a 2-week deadline, and I can't use myself as a source. Journalism ethics... kind of. :)

Once again, someone from Calgary, or Alberta would be ideal!

Kodak 10-06-2011 10:41 PM

Not located there, but have you done any Google searches for hypermiling user groups in your area? Sometimes there are user groups or in rare cases classes (I think a guy from Seattle does this).

Is 'hypermiling' in the AP Style book? :thumbup:

Green Eggs and Sam 10-06-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodak (Post 264472)
Is 'hypermiling' in the AP Style book? :thumbup:

Hahahaha, I don't think so. Thanks for the tip though!

*Goes off to join more car forums*

Green Eggs and Sam 10-14-2011 01:35 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm still looking for someone to talk to in Calgary about Hypermiling. Is there anyone out there interested?

euromodder 10-15-2011 05:12 PM

You can chat about hypermiling with the entire world here buddy :)

Green Eggs and Sam 10-16-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 265704)
You can chat about hypermiling with the entire world here buddy :)

Haha, Thanks. I know that I could discuss it to my heart's content on the forums, but I am looking for someone in the Calgary (or Alberta) area to discuss it over the phone or in person. Unfortunately, the requirement I have to meet for my degree means I can't just grab quotes off of the car forums, I have to actually interview people... Which isn't the most convenient, but hey, I do what I have to do.

Another question: Is there a Calgary club for Prius owners? I thought that would be a good place to check out as well, in what feels like my never-ending search for a local hypermiler.

Once again, if anyone wants to help me out, that would rule.

Kodak 10-16-2011 10:41 PM

I'm not sure what your degree requirements are, but can you take a different angle?

So you're writing an article about hypermiling as a method to save gas. You are having difficulty finding people who actually employ these techniques, but I bet it would be pretty easy to find a few people who are disgruntled by their poor mileage (relative to their expectations).

You could introduce low fuel economy as the local problem, and then branch out to say "Hey Calgary, check out what this person from [Some city] is doing to improve fuel economy." The local pitch would still be plenty relevant, and may even better reflect the reality of the situation: regular people looking for better gas mileage out of their current ride.

But again, I could be way off. I'm not sure if your interviewees have to be hypermilers or if they can just be citizens dealing with high gas prices, but I hope this at least gives you some ideas.

If you're writing an informative piece, may I suggest informing SUV and truck owners of the MPG Illusion? It really puts mileage in perspective. Maybe it fits your needs.

Good luck with your work.

puddleglum 10-16-2011 11:44 PM

Just noticed this thread. I'm not in Calgary but Red Deer isn't too far away. I don't know if I truly qualify as a hypermiler or not since I don't use a lot of the advanced techniques that many on the forum do, but I would be happy to talk to you if you want. PM me.