EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Hypermiling Technique Videos (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermiling-technique-videos-18618.html)

pletby 08-25-2011 11:50 AM

Hypermiling Technique Videos

I was just thinking it'd be very insightful if some of our top drivers from the % over EPA list were to post videos showing us their technique in everyday driving situations. Our top 100+ hypermiling/ecodriving tips and tactics thread is awesome but I think that having some videos from some people with RESULTS (ie: top 10 actually current drivers, ALSO including the top 10 who've done NO major aeromodding who are simply using advanced technique for mileage awesomeness) would really string it all together, and help those of us who've been working on this for a while pick up some things we may have missed or never even thought of. If a picture is worth a thousand words what's a video from an accomplished hypermiler worth?

Any takers?

Maybe you guys already have and I missed it?

ecomodded 08-25-2011 06:49 PM

I like the idea, maybe somebody with some good editing skills can piece varied clips together in a full feature hypermiling expose showcasing some tried and true SAFE ecodriving.I have a junky little cam corder that shoots in 720p, bout all I do is coast when possible.. for instance I coasted 6 km out of 17 km on a trip to the store today.
Not to sure how exciting a video clip of me coasting would be, there is the approach:)followed by the execution ;)then ending with a stop light or 5th gear 30 mph putt or if on the highway settle onto a 55 mph cruise speed:eek:.

99metro 09-07-2011 02:09 PM

This is something I have been meaning to do. I just bought a Looxcie, and have been playing with it some. I can keep both hands on the wheel, do my thing, and narrate. I don't always agree with what the "champion" hypermilers do, as it seems they rely on the vehicle rather than hypermiling skill. The videos I have seen they seem to waste lots of fuel. Anyway, glad someone started a thread on this - perhaps this will get my fanny in gear and make some video clips!

pletby 09-07-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99metro (Post 259984)
This is something I have been meaning to do. I just bought a Looxcie, and have been playing with it some. I can keep both hands on the wheel, do my thing, and narrate. I don't always agree with what the "champion" hypermilers do, as it seems they rely on the vehicle rather than hypermiling skill. The videos I have seen they seem to waste lots of fuel. Anyway, glad someone started a thread on this - perhaps this will get my fanny in gear and make some video clips!

Looking forward to it!:thumbup:

California98Civic 09-08-2011 09:10 AM

This is an idea. I will try to do it soon. Shots of my UG gauge and speedometer while I am driving would be useful for some folks, I'd hope. I just need an entirely safe way to take the video, which is hard to envision since my UG is mounted on the steering column.

TOOQIKK 09-12-2011 11:15 PM

I for one would greatly appreciate the videos! This would make it easier to learn how to properly learn how to do some of the techniques that are spoken of on here.

Diesel_Dave 09-13-2011 02:01 PM

I was just thinking about doing this this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a video camera.

Piwoslaw 09-13-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave (Post 260828)
I was just thinking about doing this this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a video camera.

Do you have a webcam and a laptop with some video recording software (Windows Movie Maker, for example)? Or maybe a digital camera which allows video recording?

I once used my laptop/webcam to record the GPS when coastdown testing, but at the moment my battery is so old that it would die before I boot up and leave the driveway:rolleyes: Excuses, excuses...

Diesel_Dave 09-14-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 260856)
Do you have a webcam and a laptop with some video recording software (Windows Movie Maker, for example)? Or maybe a digital camera which allows video recording?

I once used my laptop/webcam to record the GPS when coastdown testing, but at the moment my battery is so old that it would die before I boot up and leave the driveway:rolleyes: Excuses, excuses...

No, I don't have that. I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to technology.

Geo Metropolis 10-02-2011 08:06 PM

This is such a good idea! I could really benefit from this. I feel like I am a novice hypermiler despite a lot of effort to try many tactics. I think you're right that a video from some of the most successful hypermilers would be the most helpful. I could definitely shoot video and put something together that would be fun to watch but I honestly feel like most of my MPG gains have come from aeromods and my hypermiling isn't as efficient as it should be so it wouldn't be that helpful.
A video from a pro hypermiler would definitely help me understand how to improve.