EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   I can "fix" our healthcare, stimulate the economy, & end welfare! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-can-fix-our-healthcare-stimulate-economy-end-11085.html)

ATaylorRacing 11-20-2009 04:15 PM

I can "fix" our healthcare, stimulate the economy, & end welfare!

I have the solution for healthcare costs and I know how to stimulate the economy....and get rid of welfare, food stamps, and etc.
Fact, the US population is a shade under 308 million people. About 307 of us are millionaires. Stop the remainder of TARP money and do not pass a healthcare bill. Give every man, woman, and child $10,000 each and the total cost to stimulate the economy AND have people buy their own health care will be under $3.08 trillion. Who here disagrees? So what if a "welfare" mother with no job skills and 7 kids gets $80,000, she should never get a dime from the government ever again. I know that THIS IS redistribution of wealth, but the price tag iskind of small compared to what is going on now!

tasdrouille 11-20-2009 04:35 PM

You're missing a couple of zeros. 308 million people times a million each equals 308 TRILLION. For reference the US debt is 12 something trillion.

Canada is about to hit 500 billion.

ATaylorRacing 11-20-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 140592)
You're missing a couple of zeros. 308 million people times a million each equals 308 TRILLION. For reference the US debt is 12 something trillion.

Canada is about to hit 500 billion.

Yep, my math looked like the same that Congress uses for awhile...I have edited the figure down to $10,000 each.:thumbup:

NiHaoMike 11-20-2009 04:51 PM

Deny health care coverage for those who have smoked in the last 2 years, to take effect in maybe 3 years. ("Sorry, but we have determined that your disease is caused by tobacco, which voids your health care coverage.") Increase cigarette taxes to subsidize stop smoking programs. That will reduce the amount of pollution the environmentalists would have to put up with in addition to reducing costs.

tjts1 11-20-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing (Post 140588)
I have the solution for healthcare costs and I know how to stimulate the economy....and get rid of welfare, food stamps, and etc.
Fact, the US population is a shade under 308 million people. About 307 of us are millionaires. Stop the remainder of TARP money and do not pass a healthcare bill. Give every man, woman, and child $10,000 each and the total cost to stimulate the economy AND have people buy their own health care will be under $3.08 trillion. Who here disagrees? So what if a "welfare" mother with no job skills and 7 kids gets $80,000, she should never get a dime from the government ever again. I know that THIS IS redistribution of wealth, but the price tag iskind of small compared to what is going on now!

Dumbest thing I read all day. Thanks for the laugh.

pstrbrc 11-20-2009 08:48 PM

I'm giving serious consideration to just do my part. I accept responsibility for me. I'm giving serious consideration to "dropping off the radar". Yes, I have things to lose, but I am beginning to think that it is a moral imperative to not be an enabler of this elitist oligarchy. Government of the elite, by the elite, and for the elite.

mcrews 11-20-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrbrc (Post 140665)
I'm giving serious consideration to just do my part. I accept responsibility for me. I'm giving serious consideration to "dropping off the radar". Yes, I have things to lose, but I am beginning to think that it is a moral imperative to not be an enabler of this elitist oligarchy. Government of the elite, by the elite, and for the elite.

"WHO'S JOHN GALT?" (or was it "WHERE IS .....")
read "Altlas Shrugged" the week before I graduated from college. That book already 20+ yrs old in 1979 factually predicted the failure of government intervention and regulation to 'level' the playing field.

mark

Christ 11-20-2009 11:50 PM

I doubt I'll ever go completely off-grid, unless my wife dies or leaves me, and I lose contact with my Son, and the rest of my family as well. In that case, I'll just be a hermit, probably live in a cave, and fall back on hunting with a knife and whatever traps I can create.

I guess, to that end, if I die, I die.

Being completely honest, healthcare already sucks major. The government can't really screw it up anymore than it already was, they can just put it slightly further out of reach for reasonable families. Eventually, people will figure out that they don't need a PhD to diagnose the common cold, which is probably what got us where we are to begin with, not the government.

pstrbrc 11-21-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 140704)
"WHO'S JOHN GALT?" (or was it "WHERE IS .....")
read "Altlas Shrugged" the week before I graduated from college. That book already 20+ yrs old in 1979 factually predicted the failure of government intervention and regulation to 'level' the playing field.

mark

It was indeed "Who is John Galt?" I think my wife is within a year of being willing to "go Galt". I've got plenty of manual labor skills, and a pretty minimalist set of "needs", so moving to the barter system or odd jobs for cash is not out of the question. When my wife finally accepts a converted 26' U-Haul as our home, we're there.

Christ 11-21-2009 09:38 AM

We're working on going about as close as we're going to get to being completely "unreachable" as it were, in the house that I'm building. My ultimate aspiration is to be able to survive year to year by my own means, and that includes supporting my family.

Unfortunately, my wife has a typical consumerist attitude, but she's learning. She's already unlearned the lessons her Father taught her about being frugal, and how you can't have anything if you don't spend money. Hell, I don't even have to work hard for most everything we've got. I just wait for the proper opportunity. There's something to be said for being patient, ya know?