EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   I cause more problems than I fix!!!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-cause-more-problems-than-i-fix-2598.html)

bennelson 05-27-2008 09:55 PM

I cause more problems than I fix!!!!!

Grrr! I did it again!

A while back, I broke my hazard button while removing the dashboard to install a radio.

Today, I went to change my fuel filter (to increase fuel economy of coarse!).
I ended up causing a leak in the rusty old fuel line that runs to it.

Now I have to cut the old stuff off and figure out how to replace it! I went to the auto parts store and got bits to fix it - assuming I can reach my hand up behind the gas tank and splice new hose into the old hose.

Gotta do that in the morning, hope it works, so I can drive to work in the afternoon!

Seems like I cause more damage to vehicles than I fix!!!

Arminius 05-27-2008 09:58 PM

It was broke already. You just found out sooner than you otherwise had to. Good luck, and be careful with those flammable areas.

reformed 05-27-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 28949)
Grrr! I did it again!

A while back, I broke my hazard button while removing the dashboard to install a radio.

Was this in the S-10? if so, you're not alone. I can't tell you how many of those I've broken off in those trucks no matter how hard you try to be careful it always happens.

Oh, and welcome to the club of "breaking everything on used cars":D It happens, but in the end you always learn from it so its not all bad.

MetroMPG 05-27-2008 10:18 PM

The knee bone's connected to the ... leg bone!

I can sympathize, Ben. I just spent a lot of time breaking stuff on the ForkenSwift while trying to fix other stuff.

RH77 05-28-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 28962)
The knee bone's connected to the ... leg bone!

I can sympathize, Ben. I just spent a lot of time breaking stuff on the ForkenSwift while trying to fix other stuff.

If I had a dollar for every time I've done this, I could buy a tank of gas :p

You almost have to take the medical Hippocratic Oath when working on vehicles. "First, do no harm". I know, it's hard to do. It's easy to get tunnel-vision with fixing the primary problem, and bust through other parts to get to it, only to repair those later.

It's easier to prevent than to repair. I have to adopt that mentality more often as well.

RH77

Nden 05-28-2008 02:41 AM

lol i'm feelin this thread! swapped vtec-E back into my Vx for mpg when it was running like a champ with the performance jdm sohc vtec D15B (= usdm ex/si 92-95 1.6L), now i'm struggling/scratching my head to get the idle adjusted/?need vx TB?/?need VX injectors? , and have expired tags cuz I couldn't pass smog with the 1.5L vtec (hook up is gone). Or how I tried diff injectors right after the swap & she wouldnt start. Breaking connector clips on plastic parts while doing maintenance yeah.. catch 22 bro =)

zjrog 05-28-2008 10:50 AM

My neighbor recently replaced his fuel pump in his 90 or 91 S10... His wife was driving it and it kept dying. He had fuel at the throttle body, so he thought it was a bad filter or such. I suggested dropping a couple gallons fuel in the tank... Vroom, started right up. He had managed to bend the fuel sender float. So at empty, it showed 1/4 tank... Luckily, the two tows home for the truck were under his towing plan.

bennelson 05-28-2008 11:12 AM

Well, I just got done crawling out from under the truck.

Seems like the piece of fuel tube, hose clamps and double-ended barb did the trick.

Truck starts up and I don't see any fuel spraying or leaking anywhere.

Now I just have to put a real tailpipe on it so I can go to the emmissions test center.

cfg83 05-28-2008 12:26 PM

bennelson -

Back in the mid 1980's I bought a Honda CB350F to take miles of my (Dad's) Karmann Ghia. I thought I could do the maintenance myself. The first time I changed the oil I cracked the oil sump when I was putting the oil drain plug back on. Sooooooo, I spent $80 on a new oil sump from a Honda motorcycle dealer. But, while looking for parts for my motorcycle, I crashed and totalled my (Dad's) Ghia.

How's that for irony?

CarloSW2

bennelson 06-01-2008 10:38 PM

New Problem I Caused

OK - the latest thing I screwed up.....

I was working on lowering the back of the S10.

I sprayed a lot of PB-Blaster to soak the back bolts to loosen them up. I guess I got some on the brake line and must have bumped it.

I got a slow brake fluid leak.
When I test drove the truck around the block to test it, sure enough, almost no brakes!!!

Now I have to replace that bit of rusted line, put in more brake fluid, and bleed the brakes I suppose!?!?

Doh, one more thing....

Now I have to share a car with my wife in the morning because my ride out out, and work is out of electric motorcycle range tomorrow.