EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   I Could Use All the Help I Can Get (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-could-use-all-help-i-can-get-4793.html)

TacoDog 08-27-2008 09:20 PM

I Could Use All the Help I Can Get

Hey Everybody,
I feel like I'm finally home. I've found a bunch of neat folks into saving gas, and getting the most out of their vehicles. My friends think that I am nuts, with the records I keep, and the way I preach about saving fuel, and ecodriving. For those of you that might remember the time, I began driving around the time of the first oil embargo, and have been driving accordingly ever since. Man...I am no spring chicken.
I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma, with which I am already beating the odds. My mods to date are: synthetic oil, tonneau cover, tires to 39 psi, partial grill block(top portion), and ScanGaugeII. I have a set of smoothie hub caps due Friday 8/29. I have been researching lowering kits, one which takes 3" off the front, and 4" off the back...someday! My overarching goal is 40 mpg.
My question, for right now is: If I do a partial grill block, what is the best way to vent the air that I let in? I have looked on the underside of the hood(bonnet), and it seems that there is a structure there that seems as though it were meant for a form of ventillation. I am thinking that this might be a good place for a rearward facing scoop. The resulting vent holes would be just aft the radiator. Are there any rules for hole size, other than Area in =Area out? Tricks?
Are there better gains to be had?
I have 13 Airtabs. What would be the ideal placement on a Tacoma? I have my doubts on a vehicle of the size and shape. It seems they might work well on a box truck, or semi-trailer. I tried them at the rear end of the cab with no effect. I now know why. My next try is just above the tailgate. Does anybody have any real world results,data?
Is there anybody out there from Greenville/Greer SC?
I look forward to hearing from y'all.
Best Regards,
TacoDog (Doug)

RH77 08-28-2008 12:13 AM

Hey Doug-

Welcome to EM...

Check out the 104+ Mods section and try a few things out. Plus, there are lots of Taco drivers here that can lend a hand.

Best FE to ya...:thumbup:

RH77

MetroMPG 08-28-2008 09:10 AM

Hi Doug -

You're doing very nicely with the Tacoma so far. As for "venting" air that enters for cooling, is it not already venting beneath the truck?

Airtabs: I've done a very limited amount of testing which has NOT removed my skepticism that these reduce fuel consumption. See: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...olla-2390.html

If you do a fair amount of highway driving, I'd be looking at constructing an aero shell bed cap - far greater gains to be had from that than anything else at higher speeds.

Welcome to the site!

Darin

bikin' Ed 08-28-2008 09:28 AM

Here's my plan for my Dakota, if time ever allows. Upper grille block, air dam/ spoiler directly under radiator, smooth underbelly housing a duct to move underhood air to the rear into the drag zone behind the truck. This should (at least I hope it does) clean up a lot of the turbulence.

whitevette 08-28-2008 10:49 PM

39 psig? Too low, be brave!

Hi, Taco !
39 psig? Hmmm.... keep going. Some people stop at 40psig, some go over ( I use 44 pgig, and the ride is plenty firm), some go way over! I'm not afraid of 50 psig...but old habits ( and good results) are hard to break. Be brave...they won't pop! But they'll roll much easier at any speed ( less HP).

cfg83 08-29-2008 03:14 AM

TacoDog -

Welcome to EM! Lots of good MPG Tacos here. I had MPG spreadsheets starting around 2002, but now Ecomodder does that for me!!!!!!

What does MPG mean for a Taco? Menudos Per Guacamole?

CarloSW2