Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gym uses excersize bikes for power

An early mentor of mine used to dream of every television connected to an excersize bike. Wanna watch the idiot box? Start pedaling, kid!

I saw this on MSN, it hit home since I'm gym spin class junkie
Pedal pushers power innovative gym - Frontiers - MSNBC.com

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
That's awesome. I was watching "Living With Ed" and he bikes in teh morning to create energy to make toast in his toaster. I thought the same thing when I saw it, what if gyms did the same and used the bikes/treadmills for energy.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
metromizer -

Yeah, this sounds like the way to go. I agree with finding a way to make TeeVee healthy for you, . I remember a similar thing from another post about a Chinese fitness club doing the same thing :

Fat-burning members power Hong Kong fitness club - Engadget - Mar 9th 2007
Quote:
So we've heard of dance clubs powered by fresh moves, but now California Fitness, a Hong Kong-based health club wants to jump on the sustainable people-power wagon too. As a group effort between inventor Lucien Gambarota, Wharton grad and entrepreneur Doug Woodring, and California Fitness, "Powered by YOU" will offer exercisers the chance to use their own energy to power lighting fixtures, with excess energy to be stored in batteries. The 13 step, cycling, and cross-training machines will be soon be rigged to encourage members to reduce CO2 emissions as well as their waistlines. According to California Fitness president Steve Clinefelter, someone running an hour each day on a machine can generate 18.2 kilowatts of electricity and prevent 4,380 liters of CO2 from being released each year. It's hard enough battling the bulge on your own, so we're glad to see that these explorations in alternative energy can provide some extra motivation for living a healthy lifestyle. We, on the other hand, will continue to remain seated for the rest of our lives.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I love the idea--especially since I bike train indoors thru the winter. Can anyone here hep me with wiring specifics. I'm comfortable with electricity, but not very well schooled in electronics.

Reply  Post New Thread