Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Original VW Bug tested backwards / forwards

While reading some more about the A2 wind tunnel, i saw they had some new videos up of tests they had run. This is busting the myth of the original Beetle being more aero backwards :

They also have some new tech info on the tunnel :
A2 WIND TUNNEL DESIGN:

Tunnel design: Subsonic, full-scale, closed-jet, contoured walls and adaptable ceiling test section, with an open return.

Air Flow: 30-85 mph. The power section of the tunnel consists of three 72-inch 200HP and one 42-inch diameter 40HP, electric fans (640HP) individually speed-controlled by means of variable frequency drives.

Reynolds Number per foot: 8x105/ft ( I thought you guys might like that bit ! )

Boundary layer control: Stationary floor with passive test section leading edge to "thin" out the boundary layer along the floor..

Balance: External 6 component load cell balance; 4200 lbs capacity.
Wheelbase range: 40-240 inches, Track range: 40-76 inches. Motorcycle wheelbase range: 40-80 inches.

Data acquisition system: 18 channels available for customer
Output to Excel, with default layout or customer-supplied layout. Anemometers (flow meters) are also available upon request for radiator, oil coolers, and tubes (3”- 4”).

Flow Visualization: A2 has a smoke wand available for flow visualization use. Teams can also install tufts on the model surfaces, which can be photographed through viewing windows along the left and right side of the test section walls

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-11-2014), gone-ot (10-11-2014), Piotrsko (10-16-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2014, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
The power section of the tunnel consists of...electric fans (640HP) individually speed-controlled by means of variable frequency drives.
I've been hanging out in the Fossil Fuel Free forum too long. I wonder more about how they implement Field Oriented Control than in the VW video.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
a2 wind tunnel, beetle volkwagen, vw bug