EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   I have been thinking about getting a bike. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-have-been-thinking-about-getting-bike-30523.html)

Baltothewolf 11-19-2014 12:01 AM

I have been thinking about getting a bike.

I'm jobless right now (for the most part, 24 hours a week isn't enough to live on) but, when I finally do get a job, I'm highly considering getting some form of motorbike. I want an enduro, I will not buy a streetbike/any other form of bike that cannot go off-roading. The thing I am concerned about is, is it possible to get good MPG while maintaining off-road capability? I'm thinking 40-45 around town and whatever when off-roading. Am I thinking to illogically?.

Oh also, I want nothing bigger then a 150-175 at most. I have a little XL 80S that's just barely too small for me in the garage that won't run, no idea why, but it's to old and all the enduro parts have been ripped out of it. Besides that, it's too slow.

vskid3 11-19-2014 12:25 AM

How fast are you planning on going? A 250 might be a better size if you're not going to just be going around neighborhoods. A Yamaha WR250R dual sport is rated at 71MPG, you would have to get a pretty big bike to get 40MPG on the road. You already have the holy grail of MPGs, so using the gas mileage of a bike to justify it doesn't make much sense. Just use the Insight on roads as much as possible and save the bike for offroad.

Whether or not buying a bike is a logical decision regardless of mileage is another story. From what I can see, you have two cars and not much of a job/poor job market around you (going from your past posts). Adding a bike to the mix doesn't seem like a sound decision to me and I personally could only justify it if it would actually be ridden offroad most of the time.

Baltothewolf 11-19-2014 01:01 AM

I want to be able to do both. And never over 60mph. This will be around town with mostly off roading. I want to be able to enjoy the outdoors in the summer because it's so nice out.

2000mc 11-19-2014 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 455980)
Am I thinking to illogically?.

Yes

I can't think of any question relating to being frugal, where the answer is definately "dirtbike". Ive never had an off-road bike where fuel use was a real factor. Initial cost, modifications, maintenance, repairs, even riding gear, always eclipsed fuel costs. If you sold your toy car, to buy a toy bike, then it makes a bit more sense. I wouldn't limit myself to a 175 to save on fuel if I thought I'd have a little more fun on a 250

Baltothewolf 11-19-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 456005)
Yes

I can't think of any question relating to being frugal, where the answer is definately "dirtbike". Ive never had an off-road bike where fuel use was a real factor. Initial cost, modifications, maintenance, repairs, even riding gear, always eclipsed fuel costs. If you sold your toy car, to buy a toy bike, then it makes a bit more sense. I wouldn't limit myself to a 175 to save on fuel if I thought I'd have a little more fun on a 250

The thing with the bike size situation is based off personal experience. I rode a friends 250 dirt bike a while ago, and it was just to big for me. I like something I can manipulate with my body and I felt like I'm in control, and on that, I did not. I also rode a different friends 125 and it was almost perfect for me, it did feel slightly too small, but it wasn't too bad. That's why I think 125-175 would be perfect. I'm never going to sell my insight, I just want something to enjoy the summer weather in, while being able to off-road in it at the same time.

[Edit]: just buying a dirt bike is completely out of the question. I would have to buy a truck to haul it around and that's horribly inefficient.

vskid3 11-19-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 456019)
I'm never going to sell my insight

If that was in response to 2000mc saying to sell your toy car, I think he meant your Mustang.

dirtydave 11-19-2014 02:34 PM

Make the mustang the offroad machine.
How much is bike insurance in CA? :eek:

Baltothewolf 11-19-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 456095)
If that was in response to 2000mc saying to sell your toy car, I think he meant your Mustang.

Oh lol, same response. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 456107)
Make the mustang the offroad machine.
How much is bike insurance in CA? :eek:

Very cheap. A friend of mine is 23 and has 2 accidents and 3 tickets on her record, and she only pays 400 a year for her bike. For me it would probably be somewhere around 200 a year.

Daox 11-19-2014 03:40 PM

As the others have said, if you want a toy, buy one. If you're trying to save money, you're kidding yourself.

The only cost for my bike is the $100/yr insurance (no registration as its a 'collector'), and I couldn't make that up in fuel savings when I had my 30 mpg Sunfire. It is a fun toy, not a money saver.

mechman600 11-19-2014 04:56 PM

I agree with all responses. Most motorcycle purchases for the purpose of saving money are doomed to failure.

I know this isn't the same as your situation, but I sold my CBR929RR to a guy who was buying it to save money. I chuckled and took his cash. I could get 40 MPG in the city with it, riding nicely, but tire expenses over time were MORE THAN the price of fuel.