EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   I hear good things about... hobbies... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-hear-good-things-about-hobbies-29247.html)

Xist 06-15-2014 03:42 PM

I hear good things about... hobbies...

Aside from ecomodding and discussing ecomodding, what do you guys do in your free time?

mcrews 06-15-2014 04:03 PM

My Infiniti was my 'hobbie' while I had it!
Now I ride a bike and read......yeah, a little dull.

ecomodded 06-15-2014 04:47 PM

Gold prospecting , I am heading out next month when the rivers and creeks are dry and go pick up some gold from cracks crevices and above and below the waterfalls.
I often get much more exercise then gold..

I renovate my houses when living in them..am 49 semi retired, kicking back with a small pension.

I also love Landscaping , and do it as a past time side income designing and constructing beautiful yards , concrete steps and garden retaining walls / tiered banks.

Xist 06-15-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 429977)
Gold prospecting , I am heading out next month when the rivers and creeks are dry and go pick up some gold from cracks crevices and above and below the waterfalls.
I often get much more exercise then gold..

How much would you say that exercise is worth? :)

My family was discussing the place with the highest incidence of autism, which was an old mining area, and my aunt said that when it rained, mercury from tailings flowed into water sources. I remembered a documentary of some third-world country where they scooped gravel into a pan, added mercury, worked out the gravel, and the mercury bonded to the gold.

They torched the mixture and only the gold was left.

Please tell me that you do not torch mercury! :)

RedDevil 06-15-2014 05:17 PM

I play pinball.
I've got 3 pinball machines at home: The Addams Family, The Getaway and Revenge From Mars. My 6 year old son (mild Asperger) is totally crazy with the machines and at times shows uncanny skill. My 4 year old daughter is quite enthousiastic, talent may show later.

Some friends of mine were crazy with pinball, went out on a weekly basis to play just piunball. I joined them at times, and when I found out that you can just buy them I did. :)

Before I met my wife and moved I used to get the highest scores in all the west of Holland. As I lived on the 18th floor of a highrise. They weren't the best scores, I'm not that talented. But the highest, sure by several tens of meters ;)

ecomodded 06-15-2014 05:21 PM

You will be happy to hear I do not use use mercury , I use 2 propane torches and a crucible, much like this guy below although my crucible is made from high temperature ceramic materiel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRsXXflC3k

user removed 06-15-2014 05:27 PM

I used to play a decent round of golf, 5.6 handicap on a 6800 yard course. Still play occasionally but no where near where I was 20 years ago.

Used to shoot fairly well, got to 99 out of 100 on the skeet range, but 200 shotgun shells a week can get expensive, even reloading.

Rebuilt a couple hundred salvage cars, first one was 1973, last one (not done by me) is my Fiesta.

Built two houses, drew up my own plans, did a significant part of the work myself, no house payments for the last 18 years.

The patent was a lot of work and the trike is coming along, maybe not as fast as I would like, but it will get there.

Edited a book for Pop.

regards
Mech

Baltothewolf 06-15-2014 05:53 PM

Computers for me. I build them/play games. If I had my own lift or even a garage I would definitely be under my car more then on the computer but, not how life turned out.

Xist 06-15-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 429992)
Computers for me. I build them/play games. If I had my own lift or even a garage I would definitely be under my car more then on the computer but, not how life turned out.

Who posted a picture of his car on a "lift" that was just 2x4s leaning on a stump? :)

Gealii 06-15-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 429995)
Who posted a picture of his car on a "lift" that was just 2x4s leaning on a stump? :)

i remember that pic but not by who :D

As for my hobbies,
overclocking/upgrading my custom built computer
cycling
offroading (currently with bro but plan on buying a Cherokee within the next month)