Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honda Insight IMA issues

Hello there. Forgive me if there are other threads with this topic, but I really need some advice that a lay person like me (i.e.totally ignorant about anything that goes in under the hood) may understand.

I have a 2000 Honda Insight. The first IMA battery was replaced by the original owners, under warranty, in 2008. This second battery has now lasted about 4 years. The IMA and malfunction lights came on 2 weeks ago while driving one Sunday. (I think this is part of the problem: that I only drive one day a week.) The auto stop ceased working, and the IMA charge indicator was still at full. A week later, I took the car to an O'Reillys to have the 12v battery tested, and ended up replacing it that day. Immediately after replacing the 12v, the auto stop began working again, and the car appeared to be trying to balance itself out over the course of the next 10 miles or so. Then, the charge indicator dropped to 2 bars, and the auto stop ceased working again.

Yesterday I tried to find somewhere that would read Honda codes for free, but was told that in the state of CA, it is illegal for auto-supply stores to perform this service. (I wish to avoid paying the $135-150 that it will cost to have the problem officially diagnosed at the dealership or elsewhere, if at all possible.)

The car drives fine, only the hybrid functions are not working. However, while accelerating quickly last night to merge onto the freeway, the battery light and the brake lights came on, and stayed on until I got home about 10 minutes later.

I know that there is a problem with the IMA pack, but I cannot afford to replace it at this time. Can someone please advise me of the simplest and most cost effective way to deal with this issue? I will not drive more than one day a week regularly for at least another 6 months, but do need to drive the car from San Francisco to Seattle and back 2 separate times before the end of the year.

Thank you kindly for any guidance that someone who knows nothing about cars (me) may understand...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...0-a-19975.html

This about covers it as completely as possible. You should see if you can learn enough to do it yourself or maybe someone close could help you.

regards
Mech
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks very much! I plan to work on it this weekend, and I will post the results to hopefully help someone else with a similar problem...

Reply  Post New Thread