EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   I wouldn't believe me either (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-wouldnt-believe-me-either-34490.html)

RandomFact314 11-01-2016 08:36 AM

I wouldn't believe me either

For QUITE some time now I have preached to people how fuel additive do not work and are useless.

This is NOT a "better fuel economy" type thing but I DID fix my car with it. I have been getting alot of stuttering out of my car especially when I first start it up where it feels like its misfiring. I was looking online and saw that people and mechanics were saying that carbon build up will cause this.

I looked up how to get rid of carbon build up, bla bla bla. "Chevron Techron" was labeled as the best one for "bang for your buck" aka, cheap but works. I did actually go out and get it with much :rolleyes: but I figured for $8, Screw it.

Im happy to say I ran that tank away and that stuttering hasn't been back at all. It's been only about 3 or 4 weeks since then and I dont know how long it will last but for now I felt like this would be the most fitting place for me to brag a little.

*I didn't put this in the "snake oil" section since it worked and was non-fuel economy related

elhigh 11-01-2016 10:13 AM

Were you getting a CEL on this? If so, what was the code?

RandomFact314 11-01-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 526037)
Were you getting a CEL on this? If so, what was the code?

Na, no code for the hesitations at first start up

puddleglum 11-02-2016 12:07 AM

Just tried some Redline S1 injector cleaner in my Echo for a similar problem. Hesitation, irregular idle and the occasional P0171 "lean" code. I'll have to wait and see. Glad to hear you're having success. Hope it's fixed for good.

oldtamiyaphile 11-02-2016 07:48 AM

Based on a few internet threads, I run Outboard motor oil as an additive that's said to do the same thing as Lucas UCL etc. UCL is cheap enough, but Outboard oil is much cheaper still. For around 10c a tank it's cheap enough to add to every fill.

My cars aren't old enough to be having injector problems but I'd like to see someone with said issues give outboard oil a go.

ksa8907 11-02-2016 07:22 PM

Chevron Techron is pretty much the best you can get for cleaning injectors. Millions of dollars and years of research went into that product. Now, if you want to clean the intake i would suggest Seafoam.

101Volts 11-17-2016 10:19 PM

I had something similar, my Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel was getting CELs from what was probably cheap fuel (fuel was occasionally igniting at the wrong time) and I ended up switching brands and using Diesel Kleen. I haven't seen any issues since then, I won't say it's because of the fuel additive but diesel fuel in America is said to have a ridiculously low Cetane rating with a minimum of 40 when it should be 50. D.K. has a cetane boost in it.

I'm also going to try reducing the emissions in the 84 Caprice and maybe solve pre-ignition issues by using Amsoil P.I. (Performance Improver.) Dunno if it'll work but it may have done something in the Wagon since I got 10% higher F.E. on the last tank. If that doesn't work I'll use Seafoam; it does clean piston cylinders if you literally pour it in and let it soak then remove it. I did that it in a snow blower as the engine had been pouring black smoke out on startup. I also changed the spark plug at the same time and it no longer smokes.

LittleBlackDuck 11-17-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 527358)
I had something similar, my Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel was getting CELs from what was probably cheap fuel (fuel was occasionally igniting at the wrong time)

How does this occur in a diesel that injects fuel when it is needed? Cheap, crappy fuel I can understand causing issues.

Simon

101Volts 11-17-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck (Post 527359)
How does this occur in a diesel that injects fuel when it is needed? Cheap, crappy fuel I can understand causing issues.

Simon

The shop manual said the code was for the fuel igniting when the piston wasn't at TDC. It wasn't happening all the time but the light would stay on for three consecutive starts until the code either stopped occurring or I cleared it with the ScanGauge II and then it would sometimes show up again while I was still using the same fuel. Maybe the Cetane rating was on the low side, making it difficult to ignite.

LittleBlackDuck 11-17-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 527364)
The shop manual said the code was for the fuel igniting when the piston wasn't at TDC. It wasn't happening all the time but the light would stay on for three consecutive starts until the code either stopped occurring or I cleared it with the ScanGauge II and then it would sometimes show up again while I was still using the same fuel. Maybe the Cetane rating was on the low side, making it difficult to ignite.

Interesting. Most likely the other way around - the higher the cetane number the faster it burns, thus producing peak pressure before TDC. How did the engine run on this fuel?

Simon