EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   If you could fill any car with Prius guts, which would you choose? :) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/if-you-could-fill-any-car-prius-guts-22479.html)

Xist 07-05-2012 03:13 AM

If you could fill any car with Prius guts, which would you choose? :)

It seems like vehicle size and weight have almost kept up with the advances in automotive technology; what could an old Civic HX, for example, achieve with modern hybrid components?

Just curious! :)

brucey 07-05-2012 03:21 AM

Chevy AstroVan w/4WD

niky 07-05-2012 03:49 AM

I'd do an MR2. Just for the hell of it. The Prius powerplant should be enough to get a first-gen non-turbo down to around the 7-8 seconds to 60 mph range...

Would also fit nicely in a second-gen. Sexy body, great handling, Prius economy...

euromodder 07-05-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 315362)
It seems like vehicle size and weight have almost kept up with the advances in automotive technology; what could an old Civic HX, for example, achieve with modern hybrid components?

Guess what one of the 1930s Stromlinien cars like the Schlörwagen would do !

jakobnev 07-05-2012 04:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtW-eMPnto

With wheel fairings, and maybe not quite as low. :rolleyes:

3n3rgystar 07-05-2012 08:10 AM

I'm boring I would put it in a Prius.

ksa8907 07-05-2012 08:46 AM

Pontiac fiero

Daox 07-05-2012 09:39 AM

1st gen Insight

ecomodded 07-05-2012 09:53 AM

A Chevy Volt ! kidding
a Ford ranger. I owned a 05 3L Ranger that got 21 mpg, other wise a nice lil truck.

UltArc 07-05-2012 10:51 AM

Nothing lol I'd rather make the prius all electric, with the Fusion or Sonata electronics, the Fusion body, a diesel power plant for recharge, rear wheel drive, and modify aero a bit.

Daox 07-05-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 315431)
The only negative about the prius is the insides. What one saves financially on fuel is nothing compared to the environmental damage and cost of the components and build process. I've HEARD that from life to death, most Land Rovers are more environmentally friendly. But I don't knw how that was measured, nor do I know how accurate the research is.

Total BS. Its been debunked over and over and over... Jeez, I hate the fallout from ONE horribly written bogus article STILL years later having people convinced. :mad:

mort 07-05-2012 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1969 Morris Mini pick-up.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1341505080

jamesqf 07-05-2012 01:23 PM

Well... I wouldn't. It'd mean I'd be stuck with automatic transmission, that insanely stupid "push-to-start and I won't shut off if I don't want to" ignition, and much else.

Now I've often thought of putting an Insight's guts into something fun, like the Del Sol, or an early Lotus (or replica), MG, etc.

ciderbarrel 07-05-2012 01:51 PM

A fiberglass body replica (to keep the weight down) of a 67-68 Mustang Fastback. This is just all theoretical, but what if you could fit 5-8 battery packs under the hood and/or in the trunk space/rear seat area to really extend the battery only range? Maybe slap a mid/high rpm turbo on the prius engine (like I've seen on youtube) to give it slightly more "oomph" when you need it for the freeway, and you'd have a nice prius with some classic style.

Or, if it is sacrilegious to put prius guts in such a classic body, you could use a Mustang II. No one would care that you gutted it. Or try to steal it. Or notice how much better you made the Mustang II. Top Gear would probably try to buy it to destroy it and get that eyesore off the road, lol.

euromodder 07-05-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 315434)
Total BS. Its been debunked over and over and over... Jeez, I hate the fallout from ONE horribly written bogus article STILL years later having people convinced. :mad:

There no arguing though that the mining of rare earth materials isn't exactly eco-friendly ...

Then again, neither is getting to the crude oil ...

We get to pick our poison.

NachtRitter 07-05-2012 04:40 PM

Nor is there any arguing that the difficulty of recycling the fuel made from the crude oil (after it has been burned) is significantly greater than recycling the rare earth materials from the batteries (after they are no longer usable)... :thumbup:

Daox 07-05-2012 04:41 PM

Quite true and of course one could quite strongly argue that no car is environmentally freindly. Its really just which one is environmentally friendlier.

NachtRitter 07-05-2012 05:03 PM

Well said ;)

Rokeby 07-05-2012 05:19 PM

I'd finesse the Prius HSD components into a rolling chasis from Smyth:

http://i.imgur.com/kcPzc.jpg

and then give the car to my son...

because while I could concievably get down and into the car,
there's no way I could get up and out of it. :D

sheepdog 44 07-05-2012 05:34 PM

+1 Insight. Only i'd keep the 3 cylinder and only mate it to the electric part of it's synergy drive.

Toyota's Hyrbrid system is so much better than Hondas. Granted it's cheaper, but the more you pay is worth it when it comes to mpg.

Rokeby 07-05-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 315467)
Quite true and of course one could quite strongly argue that no car is environmentally freindly.
Its really just which one is environmentally friendlier.

How true.

Toyota, to secure its place as the global hybrid segment leader has announced
the only truly carbon-neutral vehicle, The Gen iV Prius Solution.

cfg83 07-05-2012 05:48 PM

mort -

Quote:

Originally Posted by mort (Post 315442)
1969 Morris Mini pick-up.

I was thinking any 1980's small pickup, but the Morris Mini never occurred to me. How about a ...

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...ru_Brat_Ad.jpg

CarloSW2

sheepdog 44 07-05-2012 05:52 PM

Wait, but then when someone asks what's that nice looking car your driving? (no matter whether it's a morris mini, insight, or fiero) You will have to say, "yes, i drive a Prius." :(

PaleMelanesian 07-06-2012 11:03 AM

I'd go the Tesla route and put it in an Elise. :D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ise_R_2008.jpg

niky 07-06-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 315486)
Wait, but then when someone asks what's that nice looking car your driving? (no matter whether it's a morris mini, insight, or fiero) You will have to say, "yes, i drive a Prius." :(

Nonsense. Super Seven drivers don't call their cars Cortinas... Atom drivers don't call them Civics... Elise drivers don't call them Corollas... and Evora drivers don't call them Camries.

jamesqf 07-06-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 315480)
Toyota's Hyrbrid system is so much better than Hondas.

Nonsense. Honda's system is far better, if you want a car you can actually drive instead of just steer. Or do you think you can order a Prius with manual transmission?

Rokeby 07-06-2012 07:37 PM

Manual transmission, no. :(

But then with 50+ MPG, even on the "loaded" models, who needs one? :)-
Heck, I'll admit it; driving a Prius is the most true-to life virtual
world that you can game in. Gotta be careful though, there's no RESET button.
With a ScanGauge you can consistently win extra energy points.
You can even hack it with a PHEV kit.

I for one can live with it.

Of course, YMMV.

War_Wagon 07-07-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 315587)
I'd go the Tesla route and put it in an Elise. :D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ise_R_2008.jpg

I was waiting for someone to pick one of these, I was thinking the same thing! Plus they already have a Toyota drivetrain, so I am sure it's a very simple bolt in conversion ha ha.

Anyone else notice the THX 1138 plate on the Lotus? Must be a big fan of the movie. Millner's Coupe in American Graffiti had the same plate, but I have never seen it on a European style plate! :snail:

jamesqf 07-08-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokeby (Post 315667)
Manual transmission, no. :(

But then with 50+ MPG, even on the "loaded" models, who needs one? :)-

Me :-) And of course you can get 70+ mpg from an Insight.

Quote:

With a ScanGauge you can consistently win extra energy points.
You can even hack it with a PHEV kit.
The Insight's instant mpg display is far more accurate and responsive than the ScanGauge, which in my experience (I have one in my Insight) lags badly and is often wildly inaccurate WRT anything fuel-consumption related. (Though it has many other useful functions.) You can hack the Insight with MIMA, too. People have also done the PHEV hacking, though I don't know if there are kits.

LeanBurn 07-08-2012 07:31 PM

I would put it in a Prius, but then put a boat-tail on it, & a more aero front. Then I would look at the gas motor of the Prius and make it lean burn, or a diesel. I would put better battery pack in it to give it 300 mile range. Finally I would cover the entire hood and roof of the car with solar panels.

rmay635703 07-12-2012 08:55 PM

Honestly if I could get it to physically fit in a Subaru 360 :)

I could easily lift both wheels while getting 100mpg, do a little aero work on the tail and even better 900lbs and 13sq ft on the front rocks.

sheepdog 44 07-12-2012 09:08 PM

At more than 3X the power to weight ratio that would be a rocket!

mremaximus 08-07-2012 05:51 PM

I like versatile cars so I'd put it in the fit, or freed (of course we cannot get some cool cars in the US).

payne171 08-08-2012 09:53 AM

I would add the "guts" of a Honda Accord Hybrid to a 2nd gen Toyota Mr2. It would weigh about 6-800 pounds less than an HAH, so it could stay in 3 cylinder mode most of the time getting high mpg, but you could really go when you want to with 270 hp on tap.

Nevyn 08-08-2012 01:41 PM

Mazda5 as hybrid would be awesome. I'd drop it in there for sure.

gd420mj 08-15-2012 10:24 AM

Newbie here, but one year owner of 06 Prius. I hope no one steals my idea before I do it, but I would love to make my 74 volkswagen camper into a hybrid.

If I ever have enough money to get an old bus, and a wrecked Prius, I would so make this happen. I love my 74 camper, it's just enough for the family. But it's bad on gas and always leaking oil. (if there ain't no oil under em' there ain't no oil in em)

I could so boost mpg in a bus, even though its so flat in front. Down hills and stop lights my friends....

mremaximus 08-15-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd420mj (Post 321730)
Newbie here, but one year owner of 06 Prius. I hope no one steals my idea before I do it, but I would love to make my 74 volkswagen camper into a hybrid.

If I ever have enough money to get an old bus, and a wrecked Prius, I would so make this happen. I love my 74 camper, it's just enough for the family. But it's bad on gas and always leaking oil. (if there ain't no oil under em' there ain't no oil in em)

I could so boost mpg in a bus, even though its so flat in front. Down hills and stop lights my friends....

Have you seen the electric VW buss's ? I've seen a few on youtube, and other places they are sweet! I kept hoping VW would redo the bus someday, especially with a hybrid diesel or electric but doesn't look like it. Small versatile Euro vans are so cool but Americans just want fast guzzlers I guess.

freebeard 08-17-2012 09:29 PM

I'd come at it the other way. I'd gut the Prius and put in a 36 hp air-cooled VW drivetrain in. They got 35-40 MPG back then and when the CD drops from .41 to .26, I think you could equal the mpg , if not the 1/4 mile times.

gd420mj -- http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post322130

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-17-2013 01:03 AM

Reviving another old thread...

Well, maybe a 1st-gen Toyota RAV-4 would be a nice option if some higher ground clearance would be desirable, or a 7th-gen Corolla Wagon for a better balance between cargo space and aerodynamics. I also like the late-model MR-2.

pete c 03-17-2013 08:04 AM

Not sure if it would fit, but, it would be cool in an Edison2 VLC.