EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   If your car died, what would you buy? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/if-your-car-died-what-would-you-buy-3706.html)

rjacob 07-11-2008 10:37 AM

If your car died, what would you buy?

If your current car died beyond repair (maybe it was totalled in a wreck or something), and you needed a new car, what would you buy? Be realistic about how much money you would actually spend, and whether or not the car is actually available (ie: a Prius might have a long wait). Would you buy a new car, or a used one?

Just curious.

Daox 07-11-2008 10:56 AM

I'd really hope nothing happens to any of my cars. As it is now there are replacements I'd rather have, but they are a lot more expensive (Paseo -> Insight, Matrix -> Prius). I don't really have a wasteful/excessive vehicle (that runs at least), so my current vehicles I'm very happy with and are quite ideal. However, I'll play along. :p

If the Paseo died on me I probably wouldn't replace it right away. It gets driven very little lately. Last time I filled it up was about 3 weeks ago. I could probably get away just working on getting my '93 Tercel (not fully assembled currently) back on the road.

If the Matrix died on me I'd seriously look for a used Prius, but I doubt I'd find one. Other than that, I'd consider downsizing to the Fit if it met size requirements for hauling the wife's work equipment. If neither of those worked out it would be another Matrix with a 5 speed without a doubt.

BTW, list of current vehicles:
03 Toyota Matrix
97 Toyota Paseo
93 Toyota Tercel
82 Honda CM400
73 Jaguar XJ12 (restoration project)

i_am_socket 07-11-2008 11:02 AM

I'd hook myself up with a little used CRX or somesuch and bank the insurance money for a few years till the new crop of MPG/electric monsters comes around.

SuperTrooper 07-11-2008 11:14 AM

If my Honda van died I'd look for a used Toyota Highlander hybrid 4WD. I need to haul 6-7 people on a fairly regular basis and I need to be able to get to work even in a blizzard. If I couldn't find a Highlander hybrid I would buy a Toyota Sienna AWD.

Replacing my wife's Ford Exploder would be a used Ford Escape hybrid 4wd. Since she started driving the taller SUVs she hates driving cars because she can't see. Almost all her driving is city so the hybrid would really help and she loves the confience 4wd gives her in the winter.

If my Beetle got whacked I'd take the money and head down to the local auction where I got her. Buy something small with a 4 cyl and less than 100K miles.

azraelswrd 07-11-2008 11:36 AM

Stick with Toyota and go Yaris hatch (or something similar). If I get that job with the USDA, get on a wait list for a hybrid sedan. Prefer new but I'll go used for both options.

cfg83 07-11-2008 11:46 AM

rjacob -

Prius' are a minimum 2 months wait in LA right now.

(All of my choices would be with a manual transmission)

1st Choice - I'd make an attempt to get another S-Series Saturn, an S?1. The reason is that I have invested a *lot* of time in researching the car. I have FSMs (Field Service Manuals) and parts I could just "swap in". It should also be easy to get for a good $.

2nd Choice - Honda CRX.

3rd Choice - Used Pontiac Vibe (don't like the new model)

4th Choice - Honda Insight.

5th Choice - Honda Civic Coupe HX

6th Choice - New car. I'll have to think about which ones I would look at. Saturn Astra 5 door (looks like the old *classic* Vibe!!!!), Honda Fit, or Honda Civic Coupe come to mind.

CarloSW2

Tango Charlie 07-11-2008 11:53 AM

Three words:
Geo Metro, Baby!

SVOboy 07-11-2008 11:54 AM

Another CRX!

steensn 07-11-2008 12:02 PM

A Geo Metro for sure! Old school for 500 bucks!

Red 07-11-2008 02:09 PM

If the Heep was totalled, I'd buy it back and make a trail rig out of it.

If the Insight went, I'd go for either an 04 Vibe or an Mazda3 hatch, 5 speeds all.