EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Igor the Aygo (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/igor-aygo-19201.html)

Sykomor 10-19-2011 11:17 AM

Igor the Aygo

Home from work today I got 3,30l/100km=71.3mpg! I just hope the UltraGauge is accurate. Before I left work I made a quick lower grill block: Just taped on a piece of carpet over the intake. There was a strong tail wind but I believe the block had effect. Yesterdays mileage was 3,5l/100km with a wind about the same as today. I'm definitley going to make the block permanent.
Coolant temp was mostly steady at 90C but occasionally went up to 95C. It's usually steady at 85C. Intake temp was about 18C while ambient was 9C. I will probably make a special cold air intake. (The fan has since long been disconnected.) This is promising. I thought 3,5l/100km was a bit too much to ask but it looks possible after todays commute.

I will continue this thread with the mods I have done and fill in with new ones as they are completed. Nothing fancy or different from others but it could maybe be of interest to other Aygo owners. George needs a role model :)

Sykomor 10-19-2011 01:07 PM

Actually I bought the Aygo new in 2007 and have been very pleased with it ever since. The mileage has been a bit of a disappointment though so after a trip to Köln on german autobahn -- no speed limit -- this summer I decided to do something about it. I soon discovered Ecomodder.com and learned a lot.

Acceleration has always been like very short time in first gear and up to 6500 rpm in second an quickly in high gear, and I have had decent mileage that way. Now I'm more careful and use engine ON coasting as soon as possible. I also tend to drive slower. Acceleration is still a big problem for me. I just don't know how to deal with it.

The first thing I did when I bought the car was to take out the spare and jack and all tools etc. This autumn the rubber carpets followed and the rear wiper was a bit of a struggle before I could get it removed. I took out the rear seat but it really doesn't weigh much so I put it back. I'm thinking of getting a smaller battery but maybe keep the one I have and go without generator. Haven't decided yet.

The single front wiper was an aerodynamic mess. I tested it with tuft (correct expression?) It was replaced with a 20 cm shorter aerodynamic one. Much better. I'm thinking of maybe make it stop at a vertical position instead of the horizontal. Don't really know how though.

I have always driven with the side mirrors folded. I wonder what the police says if they see it. I have been stopped a couple of times but they have never said anything about it. Maybe they don't see it because the taped body and wheel covers take their attention. Wheel covers were made from self adhesive plastic. Wonder how long it will hold. I don't want to make anything too permanent till I have decided on wheel size. Maybe I will go for 135/70-15. This would lower rpm by 2% and give 2cm narrower tires. The Michelin Energy 155/65-14 are very good though pumped up to 3,0 Bar. Maybe I'll go up to 3,3 and se what happens.

Radio antenna keeps coming on and of. Hard to decide. But right now it's off and the radio unused. Thinking of removing it together with the six speakers. There must be a lot of weight to be saved.

Lowering springs have been purchased and coming on Igor within a few weeks. There is some rubber thing hanging under the front which I plan to make bigger to better keep air from under the car.

LED:s as front parking lights will hopefully function as daytime running lights and LED:s replaced rear/brake lights. You can find them if you search eBay for: 2 X T1O W5W 28 LED SMD LED Side Wedge Light Bulbs Lamp and *
2 T25 1157 P21/5W Red 45 LED Tail Brake Light Bulb Lamp

Electric defroster disabled and I never touch the AC.

Added DENSO Iridium (eBay: DENSO IRIDIUM POWER Performance Spark Plug IKH20) and Castrol EDGE 0W-30 oil up to between the markings (not too much) to get the best performance form the little 998cc engine.

My house is at a nice slope so I always clutch start in the mornings. The neighbors probably feel sorry for me.

And today I did the quick grill block and it was an immediate success.

As soon as my UltraGauge is calibrated I'll go back to 5 liters fillings to keep weight down.

Pictures to come.

(Sorry about the spelling)

More suggestions are more than welcome.

Arragonis 10-19-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykomor (Post 266250)
...Before I left work I made a quick lower grill block...
Coolant temp was mostly steady at 90C but occasionally went up to 95C. It's usually steady at 85C. Intake temp was about 18C while ambient was 9C. ...

Usually 87 for the WT (on the SG2) and ~23 for the intake. This guy did a test of intake temps with the standard intake (I'm only reading your first post so excuse me if you have changed it in the second) and found a CAI to the standard filter makes no difference.

I've been going WAI - although its unproven, but the test above suggests no difference anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykomor (Post 266250)
...George needs a role model :)

He needs all the help and advice he can get from older folks :D

Arragonis 10-19-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykomor (Post 266271)
...2nd post...

Comparisons for George -

Acceleration - Agreed, its an issue to work out the best approach. The guy with the highest MPG I know of (a C1) uses < 2500 rpm always. But I do sometimes go higher experimenting with P&G.

I have no spare or jack. I thought about the rear seat removal but it weighs less than my shoes ;)

Rear wiper is still on mine.

I thought about a vertical front wiper but AeroModder has a nice wiper deflector I intend to copy instead. He advised vertical would put something with drag onto a nice flat surface which seems logical.

I have tried passenger mirror folded, but not brave enough for both :D

Pics would be superb, I have a "How To" for images in the, er, "how to" section. :thumbup:

EDIT How to images : http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...der-18279.html

EDIT 2 - 52.74 (US MPG) for my new tank (filled today) - so Igor is way ahead of George.

Sykomor 10-19-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 266294)
Usually 87 for the WT (on the SG2) and ~23 for the intake. This guy did a test of intake temps with the standard intake (I'm only reading your first post so excuse me if you have changed it in the second) and found a CAI to the standard filter makes no difference.

I've been going WAI - although its unproven, but the test above suggests no difference anyway.

He needs all the help and advice he can get from older folks :D

This is interesting: WAI > less power > less fuel consumption. I'm not convinced.

Arragonis 10-19-2011 03:13 PM

I haven't managed to raise the intake temp (as reported on the SG2) from standard anyway, so still no idea - it may work, it may not or any change may not be noticeable.

At least my upper grill is blocked ;)

Sykomor 10-19-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 266295)
Comparisons for George -

Acceleration - Agreed, its an issue to work out the best approach. The guy with the highest MPG I know of (a C1) uses < 2500 rpm always. But I do sometimes go higher experimenting with P&G.

I have no spare or jack. I thought about the rear seat removal but it weighs less than my shoes ;)

Rear wiper is still on mine.

I thought about a vertical front wiper but AeroModder has a nice wiper deflector I intend to copy instead. He advised vertical would put something with drag onto a nice flat surface which seems logical.

I have tried passenger mirror folded, but not brave enough for both :D

Pics would be superb, I have a "How To" for images in the, er, "how to" section. :thumbup:

EDIT How to images : http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...der-18279.html

EDIT 2 - 52.74 (US MPG) for my new tank (filled today) - so Igor is way ahead of George.

I still have the feeling that a quick acceleration is more economical but not sure. It seems everyone suggest slow with low rpm. I have tried it the last weeks and appears to work but it's painful to watch the gauge for the long slow acceleration. I will have to do more tests.

The wiper is really much too long. I found that 45 cm is quite sufficient. And I think I agree about the vertical wiper. I'll leave it horizontal. The deflector sounds interesting. Mine is good but not perfect.

My center mirror is always dark so I won't have to see too much of the line of cars following me but still give a bit of guidance to how the situation is. I only use the side mirrors in big cities. I wouln't remove them. I hope they are fairly good aerodynamically but I shall make some turf tests.

In the weekend it will be time for pictures -- and a permanent grill block. Big thanks for the howto.

Sykomor 10-19-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 266298)
I haven't managed to raise the intake temp (as reported on the SG2) from standard anyway, so still no idea - it may work, it may not or any change may not be noticeable.

At least my upper grill is blocked ;)

I will keep my lower block and maybe also try the right upper. These both should be able to raise the intake temp. It's worth a try. (The upper left will have to stay open.) But I'm still not shure about a positive effect of WAI ... theoretically, that is.

Arragonis 10-20-2011 05:57 AM

I measured the lower opening this morning, may get to block it on Sunday if it has such a positive effect.

Why does the upper left have to stay open, and do you mean left looking at the front or from the driving seat ?

Sykomor 10-20-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 266423)
I measured the lower opening this morning, may get to block it on Sunday if it has such a positive effect.

Why does the upper left have to stay open, and do you mean left looking at the front or from the driving seat ?

The UltraGauge keeps measuring surprisingly good figures so I will make it permanent as soon as I can.

I will let the upper left (from the drivers seat) be open because the radiator (?) has it's upper part behind it. The right one seems to mostly let air in to the intake.

I unplugged the fan to be sure it doesn't run too cool the engine. Instead I keep an eye on the temp with the UltraGauge. I will make an opening in the grill block if it should it to high. I'm sure it would be sufficiant to keep an eye on the regular warning light but since I have the UltraGauge I set an alarm for 100C. Anyway it will not be a problem till next spring if it ever will be.