EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   I'm convinced a (Chinese) CF Moto EFI scooter is the way to go... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/im-convinced-chinese-cf-moto-efi-scooter-way-17064.html)

Kincurd 04-27-2011 04:14 PM

I'm convinced a (Chinese) CF Moto EFI scooter is the way to go...

I basically am setting out with very basic criteria for my scooter. I want it to be just big enough for the highway, fuel-injected, and affordable.

For my fair weather commuter, the CF Moto seems to be the most logical option. If it weren't 2k cheaper than the Japanese equivalent, I wouldn't think twice before choosing the Japanese bike over it. But it seems like if you are careful in your selection, Chinese machinery can be just as reliable.

The only problem I foresee, is that I don't know of any CF Moto dealers near me. So I will have to go with a reputable online dealer. The problem that entails is getting support for my scooter. I plan to do my own work, since it fits in my apartment's living room, but even so, I haven't ever delved much into being a mechanic, without the help of something like a Hayne's manual, so I could really have my work cut out for me. I don't expect the thing to fall apart under my feet, but I don't expect it to never need parts replaced, especially with how many miles I will end up putting it on it for my work commute.

The models I was looking at in particular, are the CF Moto Glory, or Charm (same 150cc engine, and fuel injection). Haven't made up my mind between those two very similar models. Seems like the glory is best, but I like the idea 2inch bigger wheels on the Charm.

Seriously though, it's like only $2,000 for one of these fuel-injected Chinese scooters. CF Moto seems to be among the best, in terms of Chinese machinery. For about 4k, I can get a brand new, equivalent Japanese scooter, but since the whole idea is to save money, it seems to defeat the purpose (maybe 3k if used, or 2.5k if I'm really lucky; thinking about the 125CC Yamaha Zuma, in particular as a desirable option).

Again, there's the whole support network that is lacking for CF Moto, at least in my area. There are plenty of Chinese scooter dealers where I live, but strangely enough, none of them seem to dabble with CF Moto. I will check again with a couple dealers and see if that's really an issue. I still have until about August until I have enough money in savings to justify getting a scooter, so there's plenty of time to think about it and do more research. At this point though, I should basically plan on studying how to work on these puppies.

dcb 04-27-2011 04:48 PM

I need a clutch and a shifter myself. I sorta like the suzuki tu250 once you get into motorcycle prices and if efi is important. Except then I would be afraid to mod it :) I don't have that problem with rat-bikes ;)

Kincurd 04-28-2011 01:27 AM

My old 76' Honda always had shifter problems that needed attention, it got old, for me. Especially because I had no place to really work on it, in the winter. Had to rely on the shop.

I cross my fingers that my brand new Chinese bike would have less problems than that. Actual owners of the EFI line of CF motos seem to say nothing but good things. Negativity is mostly centered around general skepticism towards Chinese products, but so far, I have not come across any real horror stories.

I would prefer a manual-shifting bike. It's what I'm familiar with, and I've come to learn through here, it's better for fuel savings. It doesn't seem to be a readily available option in the scooter market though. Converting it to semi-automatic also is out of my realm of expertise. However, general aero-mods and things a simpleton like me can grasp, I am willing to do.

Small displacement with EFI really narrows the options. If I did go for a 250cc, the Suzuki TU250X, and the Honda CBR250R are very appealing. Problem is, cost. Being newer models, it's even harder to find them for a good price. 3k isn't so bad, I guess, but it's still 1k more than I would otherwise pay.

I'm not ruling out having a more fun bike though. A dualie/enduro would be a blast. But for my commuter bike, it better be cheap, and fuel efficient.

With EFI, I can theoretically make it flex fuel, and have a MPG gauge on it without as much hassle (I did this with the Corolla, but I admit, things are more readymade for such a common car; flex fuel is kind of a gamble still, in terms of savings; haven't used e85 in ages, because it hasn't been cheap enough).

kawboyCAFE 04-28-2011 03:56 PM

uhh, dude, bikes have come a long way since 1976. most bikes on the road nowadays are ultra-reliable. i have put over 25000 miles on one of the bikes i owned, and all i had to do was change the oil, filters, and plugs when they needed it. for 2 grand, you can find a few year old smaller motorcycle in great shape. with a chinese bike, you take a chance that you will be working on it before the engine is even broke in. i know they arent all bad, but alot are. and good luck getting parts for one. but its your money. just my thoughts.

War_Wagon 04-28-2011 05:08 PM

I'd buy a used Japanese scooter over a new Chinese one without hesitation. I have never owned one, but I have seen a lot of various brands of Chinese motorbikes / scooters go through the auctions I attend, and the quality is lacking. Even on brand new pieces I have seen fuel leaks, broken parts, etc. And just little things like the quality of any cast metal parts (brake levers, controls etc) is shoddy. I can't say this applies to all Chinese manufacturers, but of the variety I have seen I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole.

user removed 04-28-2011 08:33 PM

2004 Johnny Pag motorcycle

I just don't see Chinese machinery as a viable option. Seen sprockets that were not even drilled true. Look at the forums for feedback from owners.

But hey if you think 2k is worth the gamble. Personally I would look for something used in good shape.

FI is nice but I like my bikes simple.

regards
Mech

Kincurd 04-29-2011 02:30 PM

I am not saying that all skepticism and criticism towards Chinese bikes is unwarranted. That's why I've been really picky with what I set my eyes towards.

I also do not want to get this bike if getting parts for it is too much trouble. I want to establish contact with a parts supplier before I commit to actually buying.

Some people who don't trust the Chinese bike as a whole, trust the engine at least. It's true that they are putting more and more Chinese engines in scooters all across the board. Even the Europeans are enjoying the CF Moto engine.

Also, I do agree bikes have come an awfully long way since 1976. That much is obvious. One thing that doesn't really make sense to me, is to count on a vintage Honda as being more reliable than a Chinese bike, because it's a Honda. No one has tried to make that point here, but I've run into it elsewhere.

Anywho, the plan is to still take my chances with CF Moto. Still saving up money. I won't feel as bad taking this bike apart, if it's cheaper up front. Putting in my living room and modding it this winter sounds fun.

Ryland 04-29-2011 05:10 PM

I stopped in at my local motorcycle shop today and he was working on a Chinese scooter and had another sitting waiting for parts to show up, the owner said that the one nice thing about the Chinese made bikes is that the parts are cheap but that nothing on them lasts very long and they are not built to be serviced and finding service books for them is a pipe dream so all of your repairs are made blind, people bring the Japanese bikes in to get oil changes, carbs cleaned and tires changed, people bring the Chinese bikes in to have the whole thing riped apart to take care of issues from poor design and lack of quality control.

Kincurd 04-29-2011 06:24 PM

That information is useful perhaps, but did you happen to catch what brand of Chinese bikes they were?

They aren't all the same, from what I've gathered.

All my local Chinese scooter dealers lack CF Moto, which is strange. I think it's because CF Moto is pricier up front, and people expect to pay a lot less if it's Chinese, and of course there's less profit margin there if they price CF Moto the same as say, Keeway.

kawboyCAFE 04-29-2011 08:57 PM

dude, you have obviously already made up your mind about this. i am really not trying to make you mad, but if you aren't going to take any of our advice, then why did you post in the first place? just curious.

and yes, 75% of them are crap. are you really willing to take a chance at getting one of the good 25%? 2 grand is alot to throw away on a bike that wont have a resale value of 1/10 what you paid. sorry, but its true.

anyway, whatever you decide to get, i hope you are happy with it. i have seen several people get ahold of a crappy bike, and it wind up turning them off of mototrcycling. i hate to see that happen, motorcycles are too much fun.