EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Improving Mpg with my 1998 honda civic si (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/improving-mpg-my-1998-honda-civic-si-16699.html)

Vtecsauce 04-04-2011 03:44 PM

Improving Mpg with my 1998 honda civic si

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for way to improve the mpg on my d16y8 motor

I've installed a contactor to enable or disable alternator this brough my mpg from 37- 42 mpg which i'm happy with for my first mod!

I'm looking into these things for some added mpg..

-advace the timming a tad for better low end torque
-remove p/s belt and maybe loop p/s rack

I was wondering where i could find some more info or help on how to do these mods...

-Eoc Switch

-how does this work... so it cuts the car ignition without shutting of the scanguage... and right before i run out of speed .. do i bump start the car back in gear ... (i have a 5 speed).. should i use it when i pulse and glide... that would be annoying bump starting every half a kilometer ... ...

-dpf delete.. i head about it .. gota read more on what it is.. if any info please post...

-moon covers & removing my si spoiler .. (never really lliked my spoiler) for added mpg

fyi i have 98 honda civic si coupe (canadian version)

thanks

jedi_sol 04-04-2011 03:57 PM

Kill Switch - Try this
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...c-12075-3.html

wiring info is on page 1, PGM-FI location for your car is on page 3

This mod cuts off your fuel injectors/ignition/fuel pump instantaneously. It leaves the ECU on, therefore, the car's odometer/trip meter/scanguague will continue to log miles.

You use this essentially with pulse and gliding...except now, you glide with the engine OFF. Basically its.

1) get up to speed
2) shift to neutral, flip the switch to kill the engine.
3) then bump start in 5th gear to start the car up again.
4) yes, that means you have to bump start every single time. But technically, you dont HAVE to bump start it, however, bump starting saves wear on your key/ignition.

On my usual commute to work, normal driving i get about 28-30mpg. When using engine off coasting, i get 38-40mpg. So, this REALLY helps.

jedi_sol 04-04-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtecsauce (Post 229795)

I've installed a contactor to enable or disable alternator this brough my mpg from 37- 42 mpg which i'm happy with for my first mod!
thanks

What's this "contractor to enable or disable alternator?" I'm very interested in that!

Daox 04-04-2011 04:15 PM

A contactor is just a crazy beefy relay. He must be cutting the power line from the alternator to the battery instead of killing the field generating wire.

Welcome to the site.

Can you tell us a bit more about your commute? That'll help tell us what mods will work better than others.

Vtecsauce 04-04-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 229803)
A contactor is just a crazy beefy relay. He must be cutting the power line from the alternator to the battery instead of killing the field generating wire.

Welcome to the site.

Can you tell us a bit more about your commute? That'll help tell us what mods will work better than others.

thanks for the welcome :thumbup:

i average a commute of 25km to work .. 80% highway.. the rest city...

the bad days stuch in traffic on the highway for about 50-75% of my commute... (happens 1 - maybe 2 times a week)

Vtecsauce 04-04-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_sol (Post 229802)
What's this "contractor to enable or disable alternator?" I'm very interested in that!

It is basically a heavy duty contactor that is cutting the power generated from the alternator to the battery...

i tried disconnecting the field generating wire from ecu ... i belive its pin 17 on the 2nd or 3rd connector... and is made no difference ... the alternator woud still stay on...

i will post a ecu pinout ... maybe i had the wrong wire disconnect when i tried doing this..

ecu pinout added.. if anyone can point out the right wire to enable and disable the alternator .. i can get rid of my contactor heheh ! thanks!
http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...schematics.gif

Vtecsauce 04-04-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_sol (Post 229800)
Kill Switch - Try this

wiring info is on page 1, PGM-FI location for your car is on page 3

This mod cuts off your fuel injectors/ignition/fuel pump instantaneously. It leaves the ECU on, therefore, the car's odometer/trip meter/scanguague will continue to log miles.

You use this essentially with pulse and gliding...except now, you glide with the engine OFF. Basically its.

1) get up to speed
2) shift to neutral, flip the switch to kill the engine.
3) then bump start in 5th gear to start the car up again.
4) yes, that means you have to bump start every single time. But technically, you dont HAVE to bump start it, however, bump starting saves wear on your key/ignition.

On my usual commute to work, normal driving i get about 28-30mpg. When using engine off coasting, i get 38-40mpg. So, this REALLY helps.

thanks!

Creeper 04-04-2011 06:05 PM

You could try to help your motor breath better a CAI will help as long as you stay away from WOT it will work as well as an exhaust system whyle this may seem like steps in the wrong direstion think of your motor as an air pump breathing in from a restricted inlet (CAI frees this up) and exhaling through a stra (a decent size exaust that will not cause too much pressure loss) a CAI is good in the summer when it gets hot and switching to a shot ram in the winter. I'm assuming you drive on the 400/401 for you to hit traffic.

Daox 04-04-2011 06:11 PM

Creeper, please do a search for cold air intake testing here. You'll find much info showing they do not increase fuel economy. The same goes for opening up the exhaust on naturally aspirated engines, turbocharged engines are an exception to the rule.

twelvevoltman 04-04-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 229823)
Creeper, please do a search for cold air intake testing here. You'll find much info showing they do not increase fuel economy. The same goes for opening up the exhaust on naturally aspirated engines, turbocharged engines are an exception to the rule.

I may be the lone exception to this. My car has an AEM CAI, cheap header and a Greddy MX exhaust, from my ricer days...:o and with me doing my part I am knocking on the door of 40 MPG. These are the only real mods I have done to the car. It is a 1990 Acura Integra. When I the snot out of it, 80+mph with the AC blowing I will average 33 MPG. Before these mods, which was at least 7 years ago, I averaged in the upper 20's.