EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   "Inflation pressure does not affect grip": Autospeed article. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/inflation-pressure-does-not-affect-grip-autospeed-article-11433.html)

orange4boy 12-13-2009 08:08 PM

"Inflation pressure does not affect grip": Autospeed article.

Except in aquaplaning where higher inflation reduces it.

Something I suspected but didn't have the info to back it up.

AutoSpeed - Tyres, Grip and All That.

Quote:

Myth 2: A larger contact patch = more grip

Okay, most people will come to the conclusion that if you have "more rubber on the road" you will have increased grip. Sorry to say this folks, but to very close to 100% accuracy, the size of the contact patch is irrelevant.

The actual grip that a tyre can generate is dictated by the coefficient of friction of the rubber compound used in the tyre.
Quote:

One issue to consider is that, for wet weather driving, despite what you may have heard, it is better to increase your tyre pressure, not reduce it. The reason is that there is a relationship between tyre pressure and the speed at which there is the onset of aquaplaning. In the Imperial system, the equation is 9 times the square root of the tyre pressure. So, if your tyres are at 25 psi, if you drive into a puddle that is deeper than your tread depth, you will aquaplane at 45 mph (72 km/h), whereas if your tyre pressure was 36psi, you would aquaplane at 54 mph (87 km/h). The advantages are obvious.
Quote:

The tyre pressure has no direct bearing on the level of grip (apart from aquaplaning), but it does have a bearing on the heating and cooling characteristics of the tyre.
ADDED: I'm putting all my links here for easy access:

According to these tests Higher inflation pressure reduced stopping distance and increased coefficient of friction...Scroll down for stopping distances.

FEA chapter III. tire pressure survey and test results

From NHTSA Passenger van tire inflation study.

Quote:

Analysis:
Good tire care improves vehicle
handling as well as fuel efficiency
and tire life. Proper tire maintenance
can prevent such events as tread
separations and tire blowouts which
may cause loss of control of a vehicle,
when not handled properly, and result
in a rollover. Low tire pressure can
also increase stopping distances and
the chance of hydroplaning on wet
surfaces.
http://www.maic.qld.gov.au/forms-pub...port-final.pdf

Found some interesting pages from a racing tire book. I have not had time to read the whole thing.

From excerpt#1

Quote:

Adhesion is a property of rubber that causes it to stick to other materials, as we see with adhesive tape. Adhesion is generally thought to be the result of momentary molecular bonding between the two surfaces. If bond strength is the same at all the bond sites the force that resists sliding is proportional to the total of all the minute areas of contact. If the two surfaces were perfectly smooth the true area of contact would be the same as the observed area of contact, but this is not the case. Real surfaces are actually very rough on the molecular scale and contact is limited to the highest protuberances on each of the two surfaces. The true area of contact depends on the surface profiles, properties of the materials, and the contact pressure.
http://insideracingtechnology.com/Re...s/vertload.gif

Tire Technology, excerpt from The Racing & High-Performance Tire

From excerpt #2

Quote:

At higher slip angles portions of the tire patch are sliding, and you get less increase in lateral force with an increase of slip angle. This is called the transition region. As the curve tops out, more of the contact patch is sliding and the tire produces less lateral force. After the peak of the curve, lateral force can fall off 30% within a few degrees of extra slip angle. At these high slip angles most of the contact patch is sliding, producing a lot of heat and wear.
http://insideracingtechnology.com/Re...bhvrcpslip.gif

Tire Technology, excerpt no. 2 from The Racing & High-Performance Tire

Tire Technology, excerpt no. 3 from The Racing & High-Performance Tire

SAE paper digested for us by Barry.

Barry's Tire Tech

Peak traction goes up and sliding down a tiny bit. ABS would like this. Also they found cornering response and cornering traction improves. The only downside was bruise resistance and puncture blow out got worse with higher pressure (not surprising.)

http://www.barrystiretech.com/sae800...tiongraphs.jpg

This is not advice. I'm just sharing waht I have found.

My personal opinion is that tire inflation to max sidewall is generally better for the following reasons:

1) Lower heat build up. Reduced risk of accident or rollover resulting from loss of control from heat related tire failure.
2) Reduced wear
3) Slightly increased peak traction, slightly reduced sliding traction. Slightly reduced stopping distances (may have to do with increased traction)
4) Reduction in hydroplaning (onset of hydroplaning happens at a higher speed)
5) Reduces slipping in snow* (depending on conditions, sometimes lower pressure is better)
6) Increases tire responsiveness in cornering.
7) Reduces body lean in cornering, improves steering feedback (subjective)
8) Reduces fuel consumption
9) Reduces steering effort

Downsides to max sidewall:

1) Slightly harsher ride quality.
2) May increase rollover tendency in already rollover prone SUVs
3) Harder on suspension components in rough road conditions
4) Increases risk of tire bruising or failure from impact with certain objects.

dremd 12-13-2009 08:19 PM

Heat, Now I get it (wide).
Thank you!

MadisonMPG 12-13-2009 08:20 PM

Cool link/info!

orange4boy 12-13-2009 08:59 PM

In fact, according to these tests Higher inflation pressure reduced stopping distance and increased coefficient of friction...Scroll down for stopping distances.

Unfortunately, higher pressures were not tested.

Quote:

These data indicate that stopping distance is longer with lower psi for every case except for two cases with the full depth tread with ABS on the Dodge Caravan.
(Poor Cara. Sorry Christ)

Piwoslaw 12-14-2009 01:32 AM

Orange4boy, thanks for a new weapon in the EcoModder arsenal :)

CoastRider 12-14-2009 01:44 AM

tire company in cahoots with oil company to keep making wasteful rollers?

I would run at 90 psi If they would wear evenly. screw ride comfort built into tires, thats what the suspension is for.

SVOboy 12-14-2009 05:25 AM

I wonder why the tire companies consistently disagree with this...

Edit: Something to note, this article seems to have no empirical testing, which I think is important in this kind of situation. Issues related to tires and fuel economy can often have the books cooked via mental exercises, which, while seemingly sound, are crucially lacking various pieces of the puzzle. Colour me skeptical.

CapriRacer 12-14-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147328)

1) Unfortunately, had they done a little research, they would have found this:

Fact or Fiction? Tire contact patch and air pressure.

That directly contradicts Item #1 - and has data to back it up. So it isn't a myth!

2) In item #2, they go with the classic friction formula F = µN. Unfortunately, that does not apply to tires.

Tires get a lot of their grip by penetrating the macro texture of the pavement. When pushed to an extreme, the rubber is torn off the tire - with subsequent increases in force. As a result, it is possible to get more than 1g forces.

If you read up about drag racing, you''ll find reports of well in excess of 1 g acceleration. You'll also find some skid pad testing over 1 g of regular production cars - albeit high performance cars like Corvettes.

So, the whole article seems built on an incorrect series of assumptions.

tasdrouille 12-14-2009 07:23 AM

You know, that is the exact reason why the standard for TPMS makes no provision for an upper pressure warning. It was determined it does not constitute a significant safety hazard.

shovel 12-14-2009 10:16 AM

Possibly not relevant to on-road discussions, but with regards to off-highway driving on extremely rough surfaces anyone who says inflation pressure doesn't affect grip can stop talking immediately if not sooner.

dcb 12-14-2009 10:48 AM

Lol, I think the jist here is on-road use. Letting the air out of your tires is a hokey way of approximating tank tracks, which of course is NOT a good choice for on-road, but which would be able to handle the extremes of offroad better than any tire.

vtec-e 12-14-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 147462)
1)

Tires get a lot of their grip by penetrating the macro texture of the pavement. When pushed to an extreme, the rubber is torn off the tire - with subsequent increases in force. As a result, it is possible to get more than 1g forces.

But wouldn't a tire with higher pressure push more into the road surface, due to there being more pressure per unit area between the tire and the road?

And anyway, if it were dangerous and grip was compromised at higher pressures, wouldn't there be a load of test data to prove it?
Instead all we get is people telling us it's dangerous.

ollie

thatguitarguy 12-14-2009 11:04 AM

"Except in aquaplaning", is a huge caveat. When you are sliding on ice, snow, or slush, you are actually hydroplaning. You can slide very easily on rough ice, while maintaining perfectly good traction on very smooth dry glass. The difference here is a microscopic layer of water between the solid ice and the tire. The pressure caused by the weight of the vehicle will "squeeze" or "melt" this layer of water from the ice, so that it will nearly always be present in those conditions.

It is why an ice skate will glide over the ice instead of digging into it.

thatguitarguy 12-14-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtec-e (Post 147492)
But wouldn't a tire with higher pressure push more into the road surface, due to there being more pressure per unit area between the tire and the road?

A vehicle with more weight or downforce will push more into the road surface. With weight and downforce being a constant, higher tire pressure only reduces the size of the contact patch.

Therein lies the argument of traction. Higher pressure = smaller contact patch, and vice versa.

Christ 12-14-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147342)
In fact, according to these tests Higher inflation pressure reduced stopping distance and increased coefficient of friction...Scroll down for stopping distances.

Unfortunately, higher pressures were not tested.

(Poor Cara. Sorry Christ)

Not quite. I don't have ABS. I can stop faster than similarly equipped vans with ABS, too.

At least in this case, ABS was an exercise in "Make it look good, and sell it for more."

jamesqf 12-14-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovel (Post 147484)
Possibly not relevant to on-road discussions, but with regards to off-highway driving on extremely rough surfaces anyone who says inflation pressure doesn't affect grip can stop talking immediately if not sooner.

But there it's a different mechanism at work. You're generally driving on something that's fairly loose - think dirt spinning out from under the tire - so a larger contact patch reduces the force on each unit area of the dirt.

Ryland 12-14-2009 11:54 AM

I thought it felt like my tires had better grip, my snow tires are rated for 51psi and I try to keep them at that, 3rd winter on this set and the tread wear is dead even.

orange4boy 12-14-2009 08:45 PM

Oh, for sure, off road is a different animal. There you often want to increase contact patch so you don't sink or so the tire can cover medium size bumps and not get stuck between two peaks of a rock, for instance.

On ice, you want a cold tire. The minute you spin and heat up the tire you lose most of your traction.

With chains, lower pressure so the car does not vibrate excessively.

Quote:

"Except in aquaplaning", is a huge caveat. When you are sliding on ice, snow, or slush, you are actually hydroplaning.
I think most people think of aqua planing as on a hard surface with liquid water. To slide on ice there does not have to be a liquid layer, but there often is.

There are a lot of "it depends" when it comes to tire traction and pressure. The best would be a variable pressure system. I think the Porsche 959 had this.

Christ 12-14-2009 08:48 PM

Variable pressure = something more to go wrong, waste fuel, and weigh more.

orange4boy 12-14-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Edit: Something to note, this article seems to have no empirical testing, which I think is important in this kind of situation. Issues related to tires and fuel economy can often have the books cooked via mental exercises, which, while seemingly sound, are crucially lacking various pieces of the puzzle. Colour me skeptical.
I'm always skeptical which is why I will keep looking for better and better info on this. Please post better info if you have it. My later post has actual data although they didn't test above max sidewall.

Quote:

1) Unfortunately, had they done a little research, they would have found this:

Fact or Fiction? Tire contact patch and air pressure.

That directly contradicts Item #1 - and has data to back it up. So it isn't a myth!
True, It does contradict item 1, but not the statement that inflation pressure does not affect grip. Obviously this is a general overstatement. Inflation pressure does not affect grip (very much). Let's find more info. I'm not completely satisfied by the AutoSpeed article or the one you posted.

orange4boy 12-14-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Variable pressure = something more to go wrong, waste fuel, and weigh more.
True but... I'd rather have variable tire pressure than A/C or Bluetooth, or an automatic, or an ICE, or 8 way electric adjust seats, or cruise control...

OK, I thought about it for longer than an nanosecond... it's a silly idea. Need lower pressure, Get out and let some air out.

Christ 12-14-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147660)
True but... I'd rather have variable tire pressure than A/C or Bluetooth, or an automatic, or an ICE, or 8 way electric adjust seats, or cruise control...

There's no "I'd rather have" in the marketing scheme of the publicly traded auto manufacturers... only "Here's what you need, here's how much more you're going to pay for it."

orange4boy 12-14-2009 09:14 PM

I know. *sigh* I'm just living in my little dream world here...Ya gotta have dreams.

jamesqf 12-14-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 147662)
"Here's what you need, here's how much more you're going to pay for it."

There's why your market share is down another couple of percentage points this year :-)

You know, I just realized something: 1) US automakers' market share is down to about 50%; 2) By definition, half the population has below-average intelligence. You suppose there's a connection :-)

orange4boy 12-14-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

You know, I just realized something: 1) US automakers' market share is down to about 50%; 2) By definition, half the population has below-average intelligence. You suppose there's a connection :-)
Have a similar theory about political affiliation but I'm too smart to elaborate.

gone-ot 12-14-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147700)
Have a similar theory about political affiliation but I'm too smart to elaborate.

...ah, a member of the Astute Party?

winkosmosis 12-14-2009 11:42 PM

Did someone just take high school physics? Yes the contact patch affects grip, because the rubber and the road aren't two perfectly smooth surfaces. The rubber conforms to the bumps in the pavement, and the more bumps the more grip.

If bigger contact patch = same grip, why do lawyers love staggered tire sizes?

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/...t_2/index.html

thatguitarguy 12-15-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkosmosis (Post 147731)
Did someone just take high school physics? Yes the contact patch affects grip, because the rubber and the road aren't two perfectly smooth surfaces. The rubber conforms to the bumps in the pavement, and the more bumps the more grip.

Perhaps someone should take high school physics. More bumps do not equal more grip. If this were so, drag racers, NASCAR racers, IRL racers, Formula 1 racers, etc., would want bumpy race surfaces. The very opposite is true. They put smooth grippy tires on smooth track surfaces. The reason street tires are not smooth like race tires, is that they have to be able to displace water.

Frank Lee 12-15-2009 12:40 AM

Pretty sure the "bumps" are teensy, at which point the rubber displaces around them, causing "traction". Ice is smooth, nope we don't want that.

orange4boy 12-15-2009 03:51 AM

All of these thing depend upon the rubber formulation, temperature, speed, application, road surface. Here I am talking about passenger tires on asphalt / concrete in normal driving conditions.

My intention is to find and present specific information regarding the relationship between traction and inflation pressure. Whenever this is discussed some people express extreme reserve at inflating to max sidewall and hysteria at inflating somewhat past max sidewall claiming all kinds of calamity and no proof of it. I think these people are misinformed. The AutoSpeed article is interesting, if incomplete, but generally sound, and gave me somewhere to start learning more. The study I posted shows a small reduction in braking distance between low and max sidewall.

My personal opinion on this, at this time, is that up to a point, and generally speaking, higher inflation pressure gives better FE (undisputed) and gives better or the same traction (unknown but suspected) up to and a bit above max sidewall to a point I don't know what that point is but I have a hunch it's somewhere around the point at which 90% of the reduction rolling resistance from slightly higher inflation has been achieved. This is not an extreme pressure. If I had tires that were sold as low RR, I might even just leave them at max sidewall but really, I would only run lower pressures if ride were my priority. Otherwise all other safety/traction,handling issues are better at max sidewall.

One of the biggest and most common dangers is actually underinflation which can lead to blowouts from temperature build up. Higher inflation pressures (not extreme pressures) reduce the possibility of blow out by reducing heat build up.

It is not my intention to give advise, just present information I have found and my opinion on it. My opinion is based on what I have read and some of it is extrapolated from that information. I am willing to change my opinion if I find credible evidence.

From what I have found so far, max sidewall reduces...
1) risk of rollover
2) failure from overheating*
3) stopping distances
4) hydroplaning
5) slipping in snow* (depending on conditions, sometimes lower is better)
6) body lean in cornering

* edited to increase clarity

The only disadvantage to max sidewall I can think of is ride quality.

markweatherill 12-15-2009 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguitarguy (Post 147496)
A vehicle with more weight or downforce will push more into the road surface. With weight and downforce being a constant, higher tire pressure only reduces the size of the contact patch.

Therein lies the argument of traction. Higher pressure = smaller contact patch, and vice versa.

My understanding of radial tyres is that the tread does *not* deform or bulge depending on tyre pressure.

CapriRacer 12-15-2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147794)

1) risk of rollover
2) blowouts from overheating
3) stopping distances
4) hydroplaning
5) slipping in snow
6) body lean in cornering

I think this is exactly why there are debates about the subject - there is contradictory data:

Let's take item #1: There are studies that say that increased inflation pressure INCREASES the risk of rollover.

Item #2: Blowout mean rapid air loss - and overheating leads to belt separations - which usually do NOT result in air loss. Theses are 2 separate issues.

To be fair, increased inflation pressure reduces the operating temperature, so the risk of a belt separation is reduces, but what happen as you continue to add inflation pressure? Obviously at some pount the tire explodes. Which brings me to the "blowout" issue.

We also know that increased inflation pressure also increases the risk of an impact failure. So where is the crossover point between impact failure and belt separation?

Item #3) In the study posted:

the inflation pressure is limited to a maximum of 35 psi. What happens beyond that? Does the data peak then drop off? This study doesn't say, so we need to be careful to make the distinction that we don't know what happens above 35 psi.

Item #5) Slipping in snow. Lots of folks have been debating this issue for years - and it always boils down to whether or not the surface is pure snow - or snow where is it possible to penetrate to the pavement. The former has lots of anecdotal evidence that lower is better, but the latter also has lots of anecdotal evidence - hence the debate.

But the biggest problem is that passenger car tires (with a couple of exceptions) are designed to operate in the 26 to 35 psi range. It makes no sense for the tire manufacturers or the vehicle manufacturers to test outside that regime. So there isn't going to be a lot of data to be found for pressures above that.

CapriRacer 12-15-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markweatherill (Post 147796)
My understanding of radial tyres is that the tread does *not* deform or bulge depending on tyre pressure.

I think you'll find that radial tires may be more resistant to tread arching, but they are not immune.

tasdrouille 12-15-2009 08:09 AM

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Parts 571 and 585
[Docket No. NHTSA 2005-20586]
RIN 2127-AJ23
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays

Final rule here

From the rule in the response to public comments section:

Quote:

15. Over-Inflation Detection

Table of Contents
ETV commented that, although requiring the TPMS to monitor high pressure is as important as monitoring low pressure, the NPRM did not consider or address this issue. ETV stated that manufacturers specify a safe maximum tire pressure, and that the final rule should address this aspect of vehicle safety. ETV�s comments recommended an intermittently flashing yellow telltale warning when the vehicle�s tires are within five percent of their maximum inflation pressure and an intermittently flashing red telltale when the vehicle�s tires have exceeded the maximum inflation pressure.

We have decided not to adopt a requirement for over-inflation detection for the following reasons. First, the TREAD required a rulemaking to detect a significantly under-inflated tire, not over-inflated tires, so such a requirement is arguably outside the scope of this rulemaking. Furthermore, we are not aware of vehicle safety data reporting over-inflated tires as a significant safety hazard. In addition, available information does not suggest that over-inflation has the same safety implications as under-inflation, which causes heat buildup in a tire, potentially leading to permanent tire damage and sudden failure.
Surely if inflation above placard pressure was dangerous the NHTSA would have addressed it no?

I also like to point to the following study comissionned by the Dutch Ministry of
Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment :The influence of tyre pressure on the comfort

Quote:

The best possible option is still the recommended tyre pressure, specified by
vehicle and tyre manufacturers. It provides the best combination of aspects like
handling performance, comfort, wear, noise, etc. To come to the requested
vehicle-tyre performance level, a lot of knowledge, objective and subjective testing
is required.
However, considering the goals of the “Uitvoeringsnota Klimaatbeleid” [their policy to control climate changes], a
contribution is expected from increasing the tyre pressure of passenger vehicles to
reduce fuel consumption and therefore exhaust gasses. According to this research,
this is not possible without affecting other aspects of the tyre. Nevertheless an
increase of 0.2 bar (advised tyre pressure plus 10% an all tyres) is not significantly
changing the handling behaviour of the vehicles and is therefore seen as
acceptable.
Considering the fact that low tyre pressures are worse because they can
negatively affect the behaviour of vehicles and lead to high tyre wear, the increase
of 0.2 bar can help to avoid these pressures.
If a government is suggesting people go with higher inflation pressures, they must be damn sure it does not pose a risk.

orange4boy 12-15-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Let's take item #1: There are studies that say that increased inflation pressure INCREASES the risk of rollover.
Please, show me them.

Quote:

Item #2: Blowout mean rapid air loss - and overheating leads to belt separations - which usually do NOT result in air loss. Theses are 2 separate issues.
Semantic issue. I should have said tire failure instead of blowout. Edited.

Quote:

the inflation pressure is limited to a maximum of 35 psi. What happens beyond that? Does the data peak then drop off? This study doesn't say, so we need to be careful to make the distinction that we don't know what happens above 35 psi.
I agree, but whatever happens there will very probably not be a drastic change within 10 psi.

CapriRacer 12-15-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147794)
1) risk of rollover

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 147802)

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange4boy (Post 147898)
Please, show me them.

I accept your challenge – with one provision. That you show data to support your original statement.

orange4boy 12-16-2009 02:57 AM

From NHTSA Passenger van tire inflation study.

Quote:

Analysis:
Good tire care improves vehicle
handling as well as fuel efficiency
and tire life. Proper tire maintenance
can prevent such events as tread
separations and tire blowouts which
may cause loss of control of a vehicle,
when not handled properly, and result
in a rollover. Low tire pressure can
also increase stopping distances and
the chance of hydroplaning on wet
surfaces.
Two birds with one stone.

CapriRacer 12-16-2009 06:41 AM

Headline: Rollover fear tied to tire warning

A Ford document shows the company urged low tire pressures to keep Explorers stable.

Worldandnation: Rollover fear tied to tire warning

Quote:

"When you increase the tire pressure, you increase the chance for a
rollover." ....... said Sean Kane, of Strategic Safety, an Arlington, Va.,
research firm looking into product liability claims across the country
dealing with Ford Explorers.

tasdrouille 12-16-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

"When you increase the tire pressure, you increase the chance for a
rollover." said Sean Kane
It should be appropriate to also mention that might only be true for the vehicle being discussed, if we take this guy's word for it. Honestly, there's not much meat to that claim yet.

Here's an interesting paper with a lot of info:

THE ROLE OF TYRE PRESSURE IN VEHICLE SAFETY, INJURY and ENVIRONMENT

Quote:

Table 7. Effect of under-inflation on rollover threshold

This simplified analysis suggests that moderate to severe under-inflation has
negligible effect on rollover threshold. Even extreme under-inflation of 100kPa
only results in a 3% reduction in the rollover threshold.
Under the dynamic situation the effects of under-inflation on rollover
propensity are likely to be more pronounced. This is because manufacturers
go to a great deal of effect to tune the suspension characteristics to match the
recommended tyres at the recommended pressures. Quite subtle dynamic
effects from under-inflated tyres can be magnified by the complex dynamics of
vehicle motion. However, this review could not find any quantitative research
findings on these dynamic effects.

dcb 12-16-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 148104)
Headline: Rollover fear tied to tire warning

A Ford document shows the company urged low tire pressures to keep Explorers stable.

Worldandnation: Rollover fear tied to tire warning

nooo... it isn't cuz Explorers are topheavy and should require special licensing as well as propery linflated tires, noooo. LOL!