EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   instant improvement in my ZX2 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/instant-improvement-my-zx2-21667.html)

radar4077 04-28-2012 01:05 PM

instant improvement in my ZX2

i deliver pizzas, anyone who's ever read 1 of my threads or post of any sort knows this even though sometimes i think they are totally ignored which is fine by me i guess but anywho, i went to Wal-Mart yesturday n got a set of Kumho Solus KR21 185/60/15 tires put on w/ tire psi @ 32 in front n 35 in rear (manufacturer recomendation) btw total out the door cost was 364.16, sure they don't have road hazard n i had to get rid of my tires myself (which thankfully i have a friend that owns a junk yard) n bring in my own valve stems they were gonna charge $10, i got em from PepBoys for less then $5 n so far i'm @ 110miles n i've burned just barely over a 1/4 tank which might not be as good as others but considering just 1 day ago that same mileage would've left me @ 1/2 a tank or less i'm really happy n i still have plenty of things that i can do to it, my next mod is gonna be a K&N cold air intake n maybe a fart can muffler, which might not help MPG too much, but it will boost my HP a lil (very lil i know) which may get my deliveries to their destination a lil sooner, after those 2 i will b saving for a CF trunk n a CF hood n a lightweight flywheel n a underdrive pulley which will make it lighter thereby increasing MPG

graesack 04-28-2012 02:33 PM

Good to hear you're having fun. Look and listen to what others are doing and think about what'll get you the most bang for your buck. Look forward to hearing more.

All the best.

moorecomp 04-28-2012 03:10 PM

The SR intake and exhaust are already way better than a K&N and a fart can. Don't bother changing them. Guys over at teamzx2.com will confirm this. You will never recover the cost of the CF hood and trunk in fuel savings, so I would not throw money away on that either. Go with proven, cheap mods to get the most efficient use of your money. Empty your trunk, remove the weight from your glove box door, install a grill block, air dam, rear wheel well covers, pizza pan covers (you can probably get some cheap in your line of work:)) and go easy on the right foot.

Regenerit 04-28-2012 03:20 PM

If you're doing local delivery with a lot of stop and go, you will benefit more from weight reduction than aeromods. (Although aeromods can also help out a lot) Consider pulling out the seats if you are solely using this car for pizza delivery. You can remove anything from your trunk except saftey equipment (spare tire, jack, etc), make sure you have all of the junk taken out of your car (anything non essential like clothing, etc). All of this removing is free. From there, you can move onto more expensive stuff like replacing your battery with a lighter lithium one, replacing the gears on your car with taller ones, and other expensive mods.

Vman455 04-28-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar4077 (Post 303758)
i deliver pizzas, anyone who's ever read 1 of my threads or post of any sort knows this even though sometimes i think they are totally ignored which is fine by me i guess but anywho

I think I see your problem:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/...t/Untitled.jpg

...if you've been posting, they haven't shown up!

I would also advise against the carbon fiber hood and trunklid--you'll only save a few pounds for almost $1000 expenditure, and there are much cheaper ways to save a lot more weight.

radar4077 04-30-2012 11:33 AM

@moorecamp i have the Iceman setup which TeamZX2 has said is the lesser of the two, if i had a 99/the Rousch version the thought of replacing it wouldn't even cross mind mind (btw r u a member there n r u going the meet in TN in June, I'll be there, btw my name there is the same as it is here) the K&N says it should boost HP by 4HP the Iceman is realistically only giving me 2 or 3 n the Borla "Exhaust System" is only a muffler, sucks but that's all it is (it's just for sound dif is all), the Fart can i'm getting is cheap but a less restrictive muffler, n yes to all i know the CF hood n trunk r expensive but as well as good gas mileage when @ work i like to go fast @ times too n i know those r conflicting interest so sometimes my mod "hopes n dreams" (that's all they r til i actually bolt them to the car) won't really make any sense as far as mpg goes n yes is it local delivery but i have no where to store the seats n i'd have to put them back in once a week due to i have passengers in the car once a week, i never thought of replacing the battery w/ a lighter 1, cuz i didn't know that was an option, i do wanna put an optima in it @ 1 point but i'm unsure as to if this would be lighter or not

Regenerit 04-30-2012 08:28 PM

If you're looking into replacing your battery with a lighter one, I suggest you look into Braille Batteries. You will probably want a "no-weight" battery somewhere around 9 to 15lbs for everyday use. A typical car battery weighs around 30 to 50lbs I think so you could easily shave off 20 lbs depending on what battery you get.
Go to "Motor Sports" to get into the battery selection for cars. Braille Battery USA &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lighter • Stronger • Faster

Edit: It looks like they reccommend a 15lb no-weight battery for daily driving for a 4 cylinder or v6 and $168.

radar4077 05-01-2012 08:29 PM

@ Regenerit, I tried lookin on their website, can't figure out format, can u get me a part number n a link plz, btw to all especially other ZX2 owners former or prior doing some work to the ZX2 this "weekend" (Wednesday n Thursday, it's my weekend) interior has to stay in tact, won't have a bunch of money, already gonna be cleanin the K&N Air Filter n changin the oil to Penzoil Hyper, was gonna go w/ Mobil 1 0W-30 but fugured i need to get some gunk outta the motor if i can (that's bound to help MPG, that is if it actually does what it says) n trying to get the junk that i don't absolutely need out of it, n i plan to wash n vac it too, not that that'll help much n i gotta a few dents that i'm gonna "take a wack at" lol

johnunit 05-01-2012 08:45 PM

underdrive pulleys will pay off more than CF stuff. I don't know ZX2 performance mods, but generally speaking they're a great place to start. Why fart can muffler as opposed to just a straight pipe or maybe glasspack/s? Less weight, less cost, less annoyance, and less restriction.

radar4077 05-01-2012 09:45 PM

i've been thinking of doin an o/d pulley but gotta b able to afford it n a new belt too 1st, can't do straight pipe due to strict emissions n i'm sure the cops around here would pull me for noise, not sure y but they seem to hate me, which considering i stick to myself n obey the law idk y, n though a glasspack would/could/should work it's really not that much cheaper n in my opinion a glasspack on a 4cyl car would seem pointless n extremely pointless but still a good suggestion was somethin i was considering before