EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Intro, hard core diesel fan (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/intro-hard-core-diesel-fan-21551.html)

houseofdiesel 04-21-2012 09:35 AM

Intro, hard core diesel fan

I logged in here to see if I am missing anything...I drive for economy all the time and hyper mile when I have time! I am only into diesels for their simplicity and efficiency and the fact they keep on running and running and are easy to play with.
My mpg queen is a 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, it has 22000kms so far and averages 3.1L/100km very easily, so long as I keep to backroads.
Our daily driver is a 2000 Jetta tdi with 435000kms to date-12 years and still a champ but it automatic and averages around 5.5L/100kms
Our kid transporter is a 2008 Mercedes R320 CDI, and better on fuel then you would think for a 5000lb all wheel drive machine, so far 8.9L/100kms and going down as the weather gets warmer.
I have a fleet of old Mercedes diesels from the the 80s, 2.4 and 3.0 turbodiesels. Love the old things...
I run scanguages in whatever I can, it does help especially in the R320 it is so quiet and hard to realize when your actually accelerating vs constant load. I am really interested in benefits of deleting dpf or exhaust components etc on this machine, I have not found much info on the Mercedes forums most of them do not realize the potential for mpgs. I want to reflash the ecm but first want to know what I need to delete first then reprogram to keep the lights out!
I have always worked in the automotive field, parts, wash bay, mechanic, detailer etc there is nothing that I cannot accomplish but sometimes some guidance is needed or to learn from others mistakes!

larrybuck 04-22-2012 05:47 PM

Welcome! What is your best mileage with the older 240's??

slowmover 04-23-2012 07:47 PM

Look forward to what you have to post. I've picked up quite a bit starting from the same premise (have always driven for economy) in being around here.

Welcome!

UFO 04-24-2012 01:58 AM

Welcome. Lots of diesel enthusiasts here, like me for one.

euromodder 04-24-2012 05:08 AM

Welcome to ecomodder.
Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofdiesel (Post 302133)
I am only into diesels for their simplicity and efficiency and the fact they keep on running and running and are easy to play with.

WIth the current diesel models, that simplicity is gone I'm afraid.

Quote:

I want to reflash the ecm but first want to know what I need to delete first then reprogram to keep the lights out!
It's likely some option box to uncheck or a bit of software to be changed.

I've had that done to my Volvo, and it was literally 2 (euro)cents (+taxes) to implement it at the dealership :)

skyking 04-24-2012 08:39 AM

welcome from another diesel head. i have a load of diesel contaminated laundry to do, from changing filters and injectors :D

MetroMPG 04-24-2012 02:13 PM

Hi houseofdiesel - welcome to the forum

You're just up the highway from me.

Has anyone gone hardcore with aero mods on a diesel Fortwo that you know of? I keep waiting to see something (I'm thinking: tail or Kammback.)

amnonholland 04-30-2012 12:41 AM

turbo diesel

Interested to see your prgress. i have a 2.8LTD daihatsu rocky and am only getting 9L/100kms. its only 1.4 tonnes but with mud tyres and its not currently driven for economy. i am interested in modifying it for economy!!

Would i achieve better economy if i drive it so that it boosts higher? (thermodynamically that would be the case), but not sure practivcally whether thats the case?

cheers!

Sydney, Australia

houseofdiesel 05-01-2012 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes.
On the smart front most people just ease of the throttle and keep the tire pressures high, that nets 90-100mpg...no hardcore mods that I have followed yet, mine just ran out of warranty so the fun begins! Although it is a cabrio so no complex boat tails or anything that extreme, but interested in removing the wipers and blocking the grills etc. I hardly use the car so it is prime candidate for those kinds of mods.
The old Mercedes W116 and W126 turbo diesels would net 7L/100kms if trying, bone stock. I haven't had a W123 on the road yet, they are all works in progress...
The modern diesels don't scare me, yes more complicated but everything is nowadays there are no simple cars anymore and it was time for some luxury too hence the R320. I wanted some space and some luxury so the VW wouldn't fit the bill anymore and they are all equal in complexity!