EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Introducing GreenCarAlbum.com!!!!! Pimp thou eco-ride (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/introducing-greencaralbum-com-pimp-thou-eco-ride-8981.html)

SVOboy 06-29-2009 10:01 AM

Introducing GreenCarAlbum.com!!!!! Pimp thou eco-ride

I know I got everyone's hopes up with my thread the other day, so here I am delivering.

Currently in Beta-testing phase, that means there will be bugs and issues. Particularly with the video section, which I only decided to code in the last few hours and is in progress.

To drop suggestions, comment here or in the suggestion box on the top right of the site. Hope you all enjoy it. Will get blabby about it later, but I want to code more before I sleep tonight.
GreenCarAlbum
Import your EM Garage
:turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle:

The GreenCarAlbum Mission Statement

The purpose of GCA is to give people a place to share their car where there focus is the car. Nothing more, nothing less. Look at cars, pictures of cars, movies of cars, etc. Not much talk besides comments. EcoModder is clearly the king of fuel economy chat, :)

I love EVAlbum, but I dont have an EV, so I thought, lets make a site for EV, ecomodders, and everyone else. So, I went for it. Besides being all inclusive, GCA will do more than sites like EVAlbum (ie easy embedded videos and communication) to accommodate all the wild media we use these days.

Dunno if I can say more, but I have high hopes!

QuickLTD 06-29-2009 10:10 AM

WOO HOO! Good job.. I'm in.

SVOboy 06-29-2009 10:24 AM

I realize all the redirects are broken, they worked fine on my local machine, trying to get a solution for that. Grumble :p

QuickLTD 06-29-2009 11:14 AM

Hey,
Are the galleries going to be open for anyone to look at? Meaning non-members can look around and get interested. Or will it be strictly a member viewable only site?

Tango Charlie 06-29-2009 11:16 AM

Much more interesting than a birthday cake. (As much as I do like cake...)
What's its mission statement?

SVOboy 06-29-2009 11:16 AM

Open for everyone to browse :)

SVOboy 06-29-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 112798)
Much more interesting than a birthday cake. (As much as I do like cake...)
What's its mission statement?

After I sort out bugs with the redirects that make the site smooth I will answer you that :)

SVOboy 06-29-2009 11:56 AM

Currently powering through thousands of lines of code to fix the redirects :)

QuickLTD 06-29-2009 11:58 AM

No worries <wink> thats what the word "BETA" is for.

SVOboy 06-29-2009 12:04 PM

Hopefully I won't be pulling a gmail with this one ;)

SVOboy 06-29-2009 01:01 PM

Updated the original post with my manifesto!

QuickLTD 06-29-2009 01:15 PM

I suggest you put this or similar somewhere on the registration page. "It is suggested that Ecomodder.com users create their account with the same username on GCA" That way we can link to things and know who we are talking about LOL I dunno?

SVOboy 06-29-2009 11:08 PM

Actually, part of the plan is to offer companion buttons on both sites (sync your profile and garage information with EM/GCA) to keep them duly up to date. I could have just programmed a better garage (that is coming) but I think there is a whole other market who wants the simplicity of just having a site to show off their car and browse others etc.

QuickLTD 06-29-2009 11:10 PM

Dude you're on it.. Great plan. Thanks

SVOboy 06-29-2009 11:14 PM

Yeah, hopefully I can have that running in a few days, in the next few hours I hope to get the backend (admin) a little more powerful and flesh out the video section better.

Feel free to drop any ideas in the suggestion box: GreenCarAlbum Homepage - GreenCarAlbum :)

UfoTofU 06-30-2009 12:54 AM

Is this in The Lounge because it's more popular than Forum News & Feedback?

QuickLTD 06-30-2009 12:57 AM

Oops I voted for the test message while trying to learn my way around. LOL I need to go to bed.

SVOboy 06-30-2009 01:40 AM

It isnt really site news, anyway.

Everyone loves a good test message. Gonna upload some new features here in a few minutes.

SVOboy 06-30-2009 01:54 AM

Fixed up the my videos section and worked on some backend. Going to work on some more features in the next few hours.

Piwoslaw 06-30-2009 02:03 AM

Wow!! I'm with Terry, this is better than cake!!
(BTW: I baked a chocolate cake this weekend, everyone's invited to drop by for piece, though Ben deserves the largest piece :) )

What does 'Vehicle Class: Electric' mean? Is Vegan Powa! a convert?

SVOboy 06-30-2009 02:17 AM

I haven't really fleshed out the vehicle class stuff yet. The EPA has its own system I am going to need to mesh with since I am planning on having vehicle specs autoload from the EPA/personally generate REALLY FREAKING BIG database that I am working on currently.

Anyway, it should read gasoline but at the time the add garage function was borked and I put it in wrong, :)

Also, I just fixed the album rating feature, so now you can leave ratings on people's albums, which will eventually be used to create a "Best of GCA" type page and also used in search etc.

:)

Tango Charlie 06-30-2009 12:27 PM

I entered my car, even though it's blue, not green. ;)

Tried responding to your message, SVOboy. Dunno if it worked. It told me I couldn't modify the header or something.

SVOboy 06-30-2009 12:43 PM

It worked! I have to fix that redirect, I knew I would miss one of them...

Anyway, please go ahead and add yourselves up and let me know what you think, etc. I would like to make the next steps improving the site to be exactly what you all want the most, :)

SVOboy 07-01-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 113004)
I entered my car, even though it's blue, not green. ;)

Tried responding to your message, SVOboy. Dunno if it worked. It told me I couldn't modify the header or something.

Fixed the error! Sent you a PM to confirm.

Also, added a simple search you can get to from the garage home page here: "" - GreenCarAlbum All you need to do is click one of the stats and it will bring you through to a search. Next up for search is a detailed, multi-parameter search like I made for EcoModder a while back.

Also added: put videos into user and vehicle profiles to get them thoroughly linked. Think that should be all I need for linking them around.

Next up on the chopping block: Improving the commenting system and adding email notifications for things like comments on user profiles etc. :)

Thanks all for looking and helping. Working hard, I am :D

SVOboy 07-01-2009 02:35 AM

UPDATE: the video profile embedding is broken. Ill get on that soon. Luckily it seems to be working for garage pages

Piwoslaw 07-01-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 113102)
Thanks all for looking and helping. Working hard, I am :D

Very hard. We appreciate all the time you're putting into this:)

SVOboy 07-01-2009 05:31 AM

Currently working on the commenting system. Hopefully will look pretty with chat bubbles and stuff and include a subscription feature.

SVOboy 07-01-2009 10:01 AM

Updates: Commenting engine much improved, now shows avatars, has better formatting, etc.

Next task: Importing vehicles

After that: Email notifications

robbiewt 07-01-2009 11:18 AM

Cool site!

Sometime last night my car went from gasoline to electric. And the friends page is missing.

SVOboy 07-01-2009 11:24 AM

Good point, I forgot about the friends feature entirely.

I will also try to fix the bug about the editing fields and it snapping back to electric soon.

Right now I am working on the import feature, which works, but isnt pretty or integrated.

SVOboy 07-01-2009 11:51 AM

For people who like to tried things out before they are done, you can play with this: GreenCarAlbum Profile - GreenCarAlbum

I need to put it together so you cant steal other peoples garages and such, as well as give a better opportunity to upload a new image with it, but I will work on that tomorrow I suppose.

:)

Tango Charlie 07-01-2009 01:01 PM

I tried uploading a half dozen pictures into an album. It got one in before it said, "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/greencaralbum/public_html/addphotoalbum.php on line 82"

Oh, and don't even think about forgetting to enter an album name! Yikes!
I'm sorry!I'm sorry!I'm sorry!I'm sorry!I'm sorry!I'm sorry! :)

SVOboy 07-01-2009 01:35 PM

Well, that is a new error...I will look into it tomorrow. I am being an insomniac since I am making my Japanese radio debut tomorrow and am a bit nervous.

SVOboy 07-01-2009 01:40 PM

I actually found a few more bugs in the photo section just browsing around. Some things from the local system didnt translate well. I think the error you got mightve been file size since I was able to upload all those smart images, so I will add some file size error handling et cetera to try to smooth that out.

Thanks for helping track down the bugs and give suggestions, :D

bgd73 07-01-2009 02:20 PM

hey this is great idea. The obvious and not so obvious has a place. My car in particular at ALL other sites is in 3 feet of mud with a lift kit and heads smacking themsleves off the engine..all forgetting it is less than 1.8 liters and twice the epa. I uploaded one experimenting (beta tester?);)

SVOboy 07-01-2009 07:56 PM

What did you do to upload it without it becoming listed as yours!? I wonder if you were intentionally trying to trick it or not, either way, I clearly need to fix that.

The joys of ground up web development :D

Also, programmed a rudimentary friends system last night that allows you to add friends and displays a list of yours. Currently not too powerful but I plan on adding more features to it, as well as creating a related "groups" feature

UfoTofU 07-01-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 113179)
I am being an insomniac since I am making my Japanese radio debut tomorrow and am a bit nervous.

Don't be nervous

SVOboy 07-01-2009 09:56 PM

Made the friends function live. Still up on the chopping block are email notifications and cleaning up the import function.

QuickLTD 07-01-2009 10:34 PM

Hey,
Can you change the default in "vehicle class" to gasoline and "fuel economy instrument" to factory installed. Whenever I try to do it, it bounces back to electric and mpguino while refreshing after hitting the submit button.
Thanks

SVOboy 07-01-2009 10:55 PM

Yeah, that be an issue. I am heading out right now but I should be done by nightfall (which happens to be daybreak in florida). :)