EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   I've Got It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Gotta See This!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ive-got-you-gotta-see-9479.html)

IsaacCarlson 07-31-2009 11:00 PM

I've Got It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Gotta See This!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I was on my way home from the chiropractor today and a garbage truck went by at a light. HE HAD WHAT WE CALL FRONT WHEEL SKIRTS!!!!! But get this, they were made of stiff bristles so the wheel could go through them and he could turn but at high speed when his wheels were straight ahead they kept the air out of his wheel wells!!! The green is where he had the bristles and the blue is what might work on the rear of a wheel well, if the bristles are stiff enough. the whole bunch of bristles was at least 3/8 inch thick. let me know what you think. SEE PIC

Attachment 3940

SVOboy 07-31-2009 11:11 PM

Something about that photo seems fake :D

Bicycle Bob 08-01-2009 12:10 AM

Unfortunately, there are considerable pressure differences across a wheel skirt, so you'd need good sealing between the bristles.

orange4boy 08-01-2009 12:55 AM

I believe those are mud flaps. If they were dense enough but still flexible enough to let the tire turn, might work.

jesse.rizzo 08-01-2009 02:17 AM

A garbage truck wouldn't really benefit from aero mods anyway. That thing probably spends most of its time at less than 10mph.

basjoos 08-01-2009 06:55 AM

That's likely to have been installed to reduce the amount of water spray being kicked up when driving on wet roads. If you watch any vehicle (other than mine) driving down a wet road, you can see the water mist boiling out of both wheel well openings.

Christ 08-01-2009 10:57 AM

I was thinking something like constant tire cleaning. I believe that's what WM said about them the last time I applied for a job there.

hyperyaris 08-01-2009 12:47 PM

I would imagine it scrapes garbage off the tires too.

IsaacCarlson 08-01-2009 02:51 PM

its the principle that i am trying to get at here.

The problem with putting front wheel skirts on a car is that the front wheels stick WAY out when you turn so it is a problem. I was not implying that he used it as a wheel skirt but that if the bristles were on a car and went all the way around the top of the tire that it would make a very nice wheel skirt that would not be damaged when you turned a corner. and i was unable to see through the bristles, VERY dense. Functional and neat looking.

Christ 08-01-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson (Post 119016)
The problem with putting front wheel skirts on a car is that the front wheels stick WAY out when you turn so it is a problem. I was not implying that he used it as a wheel skirt but that if the bristles were on a car and went all the way around the top of the tire that it would make a very nice wheel skirt that would not be damaged when you turned a corner. and i was unable to see through the bristles, VERY dense. Functional and neat looking.

Still, at high speeds, they'd probably deflect in the wind anyway, and might make an otherwise somewhat clean area become very aerodynamically dirty. Unlikely, but we can't say for sure that it won't happen, at least without proper testing.

So - You gonna screw some push brooms to your fenders?