EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Jetta TDI or Prius? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/jetta-tdi-prius-22489.html)

Xist 07-01-2012 09:48 PM

Jetta TDI or Prius?

Okay guys, I claim excuse on the fact that until two months ago, I had not had a car in three years! I am still catching up on all of this!

I found this site when I wondered how the Jetta TDi compared to the Prius. I guess that I need to find a "Dust to Dust" discussion here.

Xist 07-01-2012 09:48 PM

Okay guys, I claim excuse on the fact that until two months ago, I had not had a car in three years! I am still catching up on all of this!

I found this site when I wondered how the Jetta TDi compared to the Prius. I guess that I need to find a "Dust to Dust" discussion here.

euromodder 07-02-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 314762)
I found this site when I wondered how the Jetta TDi compared to the Prius.

What sort of driving do you want to do with it ?

Xist 07-05-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 314869)
What sort of driving do you want to do with it ?

Oh boy, sorry this took so long! From what I understand, the Jetta does better on the highway and the Prius is much better in the city. Also, I read that the Jetta requires periodic hard driving to blow the carbon out of the turbo. I do more city driving than I would like and my highway driving includes some hills that are too big to coast down, so it sounds like the Prius would suit me better.

How correct am I? :)

MetroMPG 07-06-2012 06:27 AM

(Moved the Prius/Jetta discussion to a new thread, hope you don't mind.)

user removed 07-06-2012 08:02 AM

For city driving the Prius would be your better choice.

regards
Mech

PaleMelanesian 07-06-2012 10:54 AM

Yep. Highway is the only place the TDI has a chance of matching the Prius. Anything else and the Prius will be better.

PaleMelanesian 07-06-2012 10:58 AM

Hybrid: Reality - Article - RoadandTrack.com

Quick summary: in ALL the tests, highway cruise included, the Prius beat the Golf TDI's mileage. Highway was the closest, with Prius at 57 mpg and the TDI at 53.

euromodder 07-06-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 315527)
Also, I read that the Jetta requires periodic hard driving to blow the carbon out of the turbo.

If you get (a new) one with a diesel particulate filter, it needs to be able to run for some extended time once in a while to clean out the DPF.
It doesn't need to be driven particularly hard during that DPF-cleaning though.

Modern diesels with DPF and what not are getting too complex and can have serious issues.
Mine certainly isn't the only one, and VW / Audi hasn't been spared either.

Soot buildup in the EGR-ducts, EGR-cooler and control valves is just one issue.

Quote:

I do more city driving than I would like and my highway driving includes some hills that are too big to coast down, so it sounds like the Prius would suit me better.
Sounds like the Prius is for you.

I think I'll be going with CNG - possibly even a hybrid converted to CNG.

UFO 07-06-2012 01:55 PM

Get an older VW and run it with 100% renewable biodiesel, the Prius still uses some gasoline.