EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Just hit my worst tank ever on my Insight. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/just-hit-my-worst-tank-ever-my-insight-37280.html)

NoD~ 02-19-2019 12:57 PM

Just hit my worst tank ever on my Insight.

With no IMA (so all ICE) with the cold of winter and plenty of short drives (3.5 miles on average), I just hit my worst fuel average on a tank ever: 64.35MPG

Funny enough, not really even 1% sad about this! :) This car is pretty amazing. Despite having no electrical assist, it runs great all winter long and still managed to best the vast majority of cars out there with their top game.

Guess this is a thank you to this website into making me want this car. It being so slow and full of rattles and noise, I smile every time I drive it, go around a corner, coast to a stop, hit lean burn just right, etc.

:thumbup:

mpg_numbers_guy 02-19-2019 01:01 PM

It's the Insight love!! ^_^

If it weren't for this site I'd be driving my Civic getting only 40 MPG.

Is your IMA bypassed or removed?

NoD~ 02-19-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 591493)
It's the Insight love!! ^_^

If it weren't for this site I'd be driving my Civic getting only 40 MPG.

Is your IMA bypassed or removed?

Bypassed AND removed :) I used the arduino to bypass. But I only go off-roading in it, of course.

Working on building up a trunk again. Got about 1/2 way done and kinda lost motivation, but once it warms up, I'm sure ill find it again.

The weight difference and the gain in trunk space, IMO, is well worth it. The wiring for the arduino and meanwell power supply isn't too terrible.

mpg_numbers_guy 02-19-2019 01:21 PM

Nice! and I agree. I'm currently running it on the bypass for better highway fuel economy, plus the hills here wreak havoc on the IMA.

I'll be doing the meanwell + arduino bypass, of course for offroading only, this spring.

What was/is your plan for flooring and carpeting in the back?

NoD~ 02-19-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 591496)
Nice! and I agree. I'm currently running it on the bypass for better highway fuel economy, plus the hills here wreak havoc on the IMA.

I'll be doing the meanwell + arduino bypass, of course for offroading only, this spring.

What was/is your plan for flooring and carpeting in the back?

I decided to pull mine out around the same time Ecky did his, but he was far more motivated and did hit trunk first. So I copied his ideas a little by using some foam (XPS, the pink stuff) to build up the floor a little, then I used 1/8" ply and made a frame with 1/2" ply for the door for the spare tire. The flooring is mostly done, but I still have to do the walls and carpet it all. I'll get some pics at some point. I have an 8" subwoofer that sits inside the spare tire and bolted down there, facing up through some grill material in the door to the spare. If I need the spare, I'll have to pull the subwoofer out (I think 8 screws?) first. But, seemed like a good compromise to not eat up trunk space otherwise and sounds great.

I also had to use a modified arduino code as I couldn't get lean burn with the original. You can find details on that in the thread over on insight central. Do the normal way first and see if you need the modified way, first.

Edit: 1/8" is a bit flimsy, I'd recommend 1/4" for anybody looking to do the same thing. I can put in some heavy stuff and it's fine, but it definitely could be a bit beefier as it bows in.

mpg_numbers_guy 02-19-2019 02:17 PM

So 1" foam board on the bottom covered by the plywood? I'm assuming you're using foamboard for the sides as well?

NoD~ 02-19-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 591512)
So 1" foam board on the bottom covered by the plywood? I'm assuming you're using foamboard for the sides as well?

I think I neded up with 2" to make it high enough to make it fairly level. I originally wasn't going to keep the aluminum support bar back there, but Ecky pointed out that it may help with handling, so that created a little more height as well. May be able to get away with 1", but I'd say 1.5-2" is the better plan.

Sides, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I want to use the stock mounting tabs and use some 1" wooden dowel, then use velcro or magnets to hold panels in place (so they will be somewhat floating). I'm also trying to keep in mind isolation for noise. If any of the wooden panels are directly touching the chassis, it will put those vibrations through and greatly increase in-cab noise. The foam helps isolate the panels and I believe the velcro will do a decent job.

I did a small road trip on the interstate at 70mph with nothing in the trunk. I ended up stopping at a hard ware store on the way back and getting a bag of insulation because it was UNBEARABLE on how loud it was! (rear tires at 60psi). So you definitely have to have something in place to keep the drive tolerable! With just the floor in the back that I've done, it's a huge difference and is decent, but will be better when finished.

AJI 02-20-2019 03:25 PM

That's pretty impressive. Worst ever in my old Insight was 53.3mpg over a tank. That was also in cold weather, but with the IMA working!

I put it down to the battery not being in complete health, which led to it cycling more often, and because my commute was fairly short the engine spent more time trying to charge the battery than it did benefiting from assistance.

Still, I wasn't too disappointed by it either - a bad day in an Insight is still more frugal than most people's good days in other cars!

Ecky 02-22-2019 06:12 AM

I've been mid 50's lately. :(

Roads are usually deep slush or when it's too cold, packed snow the salt can't melt. It was -3F (-20C) yesterday when I left for work, sometimes I idle the car a bit before leaving because at those temperatures the steering wheel burns my hands even though the thin gloves I like to wear. We've also had a few days where the ice has been bad and it has taken me 3.5 hours to make it the 10 miles / 20 minutes to get home, a lot of accidents and roads closing down. Idling 3.5 hours certainly can't help economy.

Still pleased to be getting this economy.