Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maximizing MPG driving 10k miles in a rental (minivan or SUV)

I am planning on taking a month long cross country road trip this summer with several friends as one last adventure before we all turn 30. The route we are looking at taking is just over 7k miles but I imagine with local driving and side trips that the entire trip could come close to 10k miles in total.

There are 5 (possibly 6) of us going and we all either drive small cars or big inefficient SUVs. In addition to not having enough space the depreciation on a car after adding 10k miles just isn't worth it for any of us to drive our own cars so we are looking at rentals. Based on size requirements it is pretty much required we either get a mini-van or SUV with a mini-van being the most fuel efficient but even they get fairly poor mileage. We checked the rental rates for cities close to our starting point (Lexington, KY) and found the best deals on monthly rentals in Louisville.

Anyway, I'm posting here to try and figure out how to maximize our MPG and reduce our overall fuel cost so we can put that money towards more rewarding expenses. Considering the difference between 14-15 mpg and 20-22 mpg could be a savings of $1000 over the length of the trip it is definitely worth it to invest a couple hundred in modding/tuning the car in the beginning. So I'd like everyone's thoughts on the mods I can and can't do with a rental. I'm willing to devote quite a bit of time into reading & prepping beforehand and willing to spend a day modding/testing at the beginning of the rental.

Requirements:
Has to be 100% reversible
Risk of damage to the mini-van should be almost zero
Can take up to 1 full day to do
Can't require buying model specific parts just in case that year/model isn't what we get
Willing to spend $100-300
Needs to increase efficiency by 10% to be worthwhile

My thoughts:
1) Fold in passenger side mirror (possibly drivers side on straight highways)
2) Remove antenna and store
3) Remove wiper blades and store?
4) DIY tire covers attached using new lugs with screws drilled
5) Use of scangauge (not factoring this into cost since it can be useful to me afterward)
6) Inflate tires to max sidewall
7) Quick partial grill cover (anything better than duct tape to attach it that won't leave adhesive residue?)
8) Tape over seams in lights, grill, front bumper, maybe even hood, etc (again anything better than duct tape that won't leave residue?)
9) Oil change - will definitely do at least 1 during the trip but unsure if I should invest in one before we start to make sure oil & filters are clean

Anything I'm not thinking of? Any of those sound like a bad idea?

PS: Efficient driving will be a top priority but I'm hoping to find a few mechanical things that may help as well

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Sounds like you got the basic easy to do and remove mods

as far as non residue duct tape 3M Scotch No Residue High Performance Duct Tape, 1.88-Inch by 20-Yard, 1-Pack - Amazon.com
If i ever do a kamm or wheel skirts i plan on grabbing this

If you use coroplast for wheel covers you could use zip ties to secure them, i had 5k miles on my covers held on by zip-ties b4 i removed the covers to repaint em

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
You should be able to use zip ties on a grill block too. Also, you might get away with screwing in an air dam, since it's underneath...ain't nobody gonna check there for little extra holes, and wouldn't know what they were if they did see them. I'd think your biggest factor will be the base vehicle...be careful, I once rented an Impala for the 31mpg thing....they gave me the Impala SS......25mpg.

Remember too, going 60mph giving yourself time to get there will put some money in your pocket rather than hammering to and fro at 75-80mph, that seems to be where a fair amount can be saved. But a challange for a bunch of younger guys, it is a definite mindset shift.

I don't think taping the seems would pay itself for the tape you'd have to use, this is an over rated aero enhancement.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

maybe a grill block, some seam taping. wouldn't bother with anything else, as i doubt it would be worth the effort
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

if it is available, gey an odyssey with cylinder deactivization. other may have it as well by now, but, not sure. i guess the toyota with the 4 cylinder would be good also
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I wouldn't mess with any of it beyond over-inflating the tires and getting agreement from everyone on board to chill and set the cruise at 50 mph.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gold Guzzler - '00 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 36.07 mpg (US)
Just check your rental agreement. Most of them start to charge you a high rate for the number of miles driven after a certain mileage. In the long run it would be cheaper to drive your own car and then you could do permanent Eco mods. Just a thought.

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”
― Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns Fifty

Change your frame of mind.
“driving at the speed limit--hideous thought.”
― Stephenie Meyer
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh I made sure to find a rental place with unlimited mileage and no geographical restrictions.

Considering most mini-vans are rated at 25 highway / 17 city and most of our driving will be highway what is a reasonable estimate of actual mpg without any modding and a reasonable estimate for mpg after modding?

Would a trip average of 28-30 mpg be an unreasonable goal?

While cost savings is an important factor I am also interested in seeing how far I can push the limit with cheap/temporary mods as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I would suggest;

1) Inflate the tires as high as you dare

2) Do a grille block & watch the temp. on your ScanGauge - block as much as you can get away with.

3) Test rear fender skirts. They may or may not help, depending on the vehicle.

4) Run a quick series of tests with the ScanGauge to see what your best MPG speed is. It might be ridiculously low, like 40 mph, but if you know this, and for every 5 mph increment up to 60 - 70 - whaterver you want to test to, you are then armed with knowledge. While you won't wanna be driving 40 on the freeways, I'm sure, if you happen to be on a street in town that has a speed limit of 30, 40, 50 - - - whatever, you can try to keep 'er at 40 at those times. (or whatever your best mpg speed happens to be). Even on the freeway, if you know you do 2 mpg better at 60 than 70, and even another 1.2 mpg better at 55, if you're not in a particular hurry, you'll know you can save gas at 55 if you're willing to drive that speed. (cruise control really helps keep from inadvertantly going faster than you want - set it & forget it) On the flip side of that coin, if you decide you ARE in a hurry & have to go 70 or higher, you'll at least know what it's costing you.

5) Taping seams and removing radio antennas is probably more trouble than it's worth. My experience with folding the mirror(s) back is the gains are real but very small - and losing the use of your mirrors can be a MAJOR hassle - especially as traffic increases. One day I tried to drive into Sacramento in the RAIN with mirrors folded back - - - WRONG!!! I pulled over quick to pop them back out. I was driving blind, traffic was all around me, and with the rain, I couldn't see squat!!!!

6) If it comes with a roof rack and you don't need it and you can get it off, THAT will save you some. - more than folding the mirrors, in my experience.

7) try to avoid loading it so the back end is "heavy" & "squatting down". This exposes more of the aerodynamically "dirty" underside to the oncoming wind and really increases drag compared to level or slightly nose-down.

They make stuff like "goof-off" that's good at removing the residue from duct tape & isn't supposed to hurt the paint. As long as you can count on it not hurting the paint, that could simplify your life. Laquer thinner is pretty good at removing that kind of goo too, but not sure what effect it would have on paint. I'm guessing you'd bo ok, but that's not the type of thing you wanna find out the "hard way"!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
Considering most mini-vans are rated at 25 highway / 17 city and most of our driving will be highway what is a reasonable estimate of actual mpg without any modding and a reasonable estimate for mpg after modding?

Would a trip average of 28-30 mpg be an unreasonable goal?

While cost savings is an important factor I am also interested in seeing how far I can push the limit with cheap/temporary mods as well.
Define "reasonable". HAH!!! You could probably reach that goal with modding AND serious hypermiling driving (20 mph below the speed limit on the highway, engine off & coasting up to all stoplights, coasting down all hills in neutral or engine off, etc.)

My 2000 GMC Jimmy has a combined rating of 16, I think (18 highway). I can get the ScanGauge to read 30, but that's at 40 mph with the roof rack off, mirrors folded in, full grille block, and tires at 60 psi). It would be pretty "hard-core" to do a 10,000 mile trip like that!!! But by bumping the speed up to 50 mph, I can still get, like 26-27 mpg, so that might be a better compromize. With that car, folding both mirrors only yielded about 0.15 mpg. - and losing about half my rear visibility is a pretty big price to pay for that!!!!

Reply  Post New Thread