EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Lean Burn Indicator (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lean-burn-indicator-18913.html)

Joe1234 09-22-2011 07:53 PM

Lean Burn Indicator

I'm looking for instructions on the cleanest, cheapest, easiest way to install a little lean-burn indicator LED on a Civic VX.

basjoos 09-23-2011 07:01 AM

Here's some threads on Gassavers where this topic was addressed.

VX lean burn monitor - enhanced how to desired - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum
Civic VX Lean Burn monitor - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum
Hello from across the pond! - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum

Joe1234 09-23-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks, but I've read them all. There needs to be something that can plug into the port under the dash and just light up a LED when it is in lean burn mode. It needs to be that simple. I think it can be that simple but for some reason no one has made one specifically for the VX.

silverinsight2 09-23-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1234 (Post 262601)
Thanks, but I've read them all. There needs to be something that can plug into the port under the dash and just light up a LED when it is in lean burn mode. It needs to be that simple. I think it can be that simple but for some reason no one has made one specifically for the VX.

How old is the VX? How many would they sell?

Monitor the O2 voltage with an Ultra Gage, or android torque, or this

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...110625_7lo.jpg

Browser Warning

When O2 votage drops to its lowest point, leanburn is upon you

Joe1234 09-23-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverinsight2 (Post 262645)
How old is the VX? How many would they sell?

Monitor the O2 voltage with an Ultra Gage, or android torque, or this

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...110625_7lo.jpg

Browser Warning

When O2 votage drops to its lowest point, leanburn is upon you

Ultra Gage:

A 95 VX isn't on their supported vehicles list AND there is no way to tell if o2 sensor voltage will even be displayed even if they supported the vehicle.

Android torque:
I don't like how bad smart phones are at pretending to be computers so I don't own one. Android torque is overkill when all I want is a lean burn indicator.

Automotive Voltage monitor:

I've read that too. The problem is that it is too generalized. Too much customization is needed. I need step by step instructions specifically for the VX or a kit made specifically for the VX.

tim3058 09-23-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1234 (Post 262495)
I'm looking for instructions on the cleanest, cheapest, easiest way to install a little lean-burn indicator LED on a Civic VX.

Hook up a $35 vacuum gauge to your intake tubing and mount in a convenient spot on the A-pillar. My experience shows 6in Hg vacuum or greater vacuum will permit lean burn. Anything slightly less vacuum than 6in Hg will knock the car out of lean burn. The vac gauge also makes it easy to drive with constant load, key to upping the mpg's. I like the gauge as you can see how close you are getting to dropping out of lean burn, vs a light or mpg readout...

Alternatively the MPGuino (like a $55 donation) shows instantaneous mpg's, easy to see when the car goes to lean burn when it jumps from 44 mpg to 56mpg cruising (but some wiring involved). Each very useful on its own - getting the pair is outright awesome.

Joe1234 09-24-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3058 (Post 262686)
Hook up a $35 vacuum gauge to your intake tubing and mount in a convenient spot on the A-pillar. My experience shows 6in Hg vacuum or greater vacuum will permit lean burn. Anything slightly less vacuum than 6in Hg will knock the car out of lean burn. The vac gauge also makes it easy to drive with constant load, key to upping the mpg's. I like the gauge as you can see how close you are getting to dropping out of lean burn, vs a light or mpg readout...

Alternatively the MPGuino (like a $55 donation) shows instantaneous mpg's, easy to see when the car goes to lean burn when it jumps from 44 mpg to 56mpg cruising (but some wiring involved). Each very useful on its own - getting the pair is outright awesome.

I noticed you mentioned the vacuum gauge on another thread. Looks like the best option so far.

I'm skeptical of the MPGuino's accuracy. How can you be sure that it is accurate?

tim3058 09-24-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1234 (Post 262688)
I noticed you mentioned the vacuum gauge on another thread. Looks like the best option so far.

I'm skeptical of the MPGuino's accuracy. How can you be sure that it is accurate?

I would definitely recommend the vac gauge, great learning tool, and as your foot gets better fine control it really helps dial in the mpg sweet spot.

The MPGuino just gets a pulse signal from your vehicle speed sensor (on the transmission) and a 2nd signal from one of the fuel injector leads. It's just counting injector pulses (and duration of each pulse) vs. the speed sensor pulses (miles/gallon). You take a long trip and compare starting and ending highway mile markers and compare to MPGuino's calculated distance by counting pulses. MPGuino has factors that it applies (x pulses/mile and x microseconds/gallon). If MPGuino's distance doesnt match the hwy markers, adjust the factor by the percent error. Same for MPGuino gallons used (once you fill up tank you'll know exactly how much you really used). Brilliantly simple technology that can be adjusted to match any car with any tires/transmission/engine combo. After averaging a few tanks (different gas pumps stop at different points, etc), the MPGuino will be pretty much dead-on. I was filling up at a particular pump at the same station every week for months - MPGuino was never more than like 1mpg off.

brucepick 09-24-2011 06:44 AM

I agree - a carefully calibrated MPGuino is extremely accurate.

Look at the notes in my recent fuel log entries. Generally I pump 8-9 gallons, and the Guino generally is accurate within about 0.1 gallon or less. I scroll to the tank data panel, and read the gallons it's recorded for that tank, before I fill.

Your Civic is the generation before mine but if you're up to crimping wires, and I also recommend soldering a couple connections, I can give you installation pointers after you get your 'Guino. I'm pretty sure the wires you need to tap into are in the same place as on my car. You also need to make a case or housing for the 'Guino because it does not come with one, unless that has changed since I got mine.

silverinsight2 09-24-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1234 (Post 262668)

Ultra Gage:

A 95 VX isn't on their supported vehicles list AND there is no way to tell if o2 sensor voltage will even be displayed even if they supported the vehicle.

Android torque:
I don't like how bad smart phones are at pretending to be computers so I don't own one. Android torque is overkill when all I want is a lean burn indicator.

Automotive Voltage monitor:

I've read that too. The problem is that it is too generalized. Too much customization is needed. I need step by step instructions specifically for the VX or a kit made specifically for the VX.

Step by step:
1. Buy 1 each of the below Multimeters for $3 on sale at Harbour Freight.
2. Connect to O2 sensor output.
3. Set to DC volts.
4. Start car, when meter reads lowest point...leanburn.

Good luck on the VX kit.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6...mm90899mn6.gif