EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   LED Refridgerator light (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/led-refridgerator-light-3828.html)

bennelson 07-15-2008 11:10 PM

LED Refridgerator light

http://gallery.me.com/benhdvideoguy/...C06381/web.jpg

A while back, I put compact fluorescent lights in my refridgerator.

No, not that my fridge light is on all the time wasting electricity. Rather, incandescents make a lot of heat, which is what we want to get rid of in a fridge.

Well, the CFLs didn't work out too well in the fridge. They were a cheap brand, and fluorescents generally don't like the cold.

When I stopped at the hardware store today, they had their "dollar values" bins in the middle of the store. This is usually cheap, made in China, imported junk, but at good prices.

I looked through there and saw LED light bulbs for $5 each. Not battery operated or cheap flashlights, actually household current Edison base light bulbs.

They are only 1.5 watt, which is NOT a lot of light, but they were a small size, I thought might work well as appliance bulbs.

Tried one out, looks great in the fridge and doesn't make any heat!

It does say on the box "not for use in humid enviroment" and "not suitable below -43 F"

I will let you all know if it dies anytime soon, otherwise seems like a great little light just where it's needed!

almightybmw 07-16-2008 06:21 AM

word. I'm not too worried about replacing the light in my fridge, when it's open, its under 30 seconds, not even close to enough time for the bulb to heat up any amount of air, at least not enough to seem more than what I lost when opening the door. When it's closed, its off. Very small gains here. But hey, do it up, because it's there.

NeilBlanchard 07-16-2008 06:36 AM

Hi,

The added heat from that "30 seconds" will take a lot longer than that to remove from the 'frig. I'm pretty sure that the compressor motor and the fan motor are non-trivial to run.

rjacob 07-16-2008 08:37 AM

Interesting. I don't think the power savings will offset the cost of the bulb. Maybe you will save on the cost of burned out bulbs. But then, I don't remember the last tiem I had to replace a bulb in the fridge.

BrianAbington 08-10-2008 10:15 AM

some of the new refridgerators are using led lights in them. My wife becomes instantly nauseated by the light in these fridges.

NeilBlanchard 08-10-2008 11:15 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binger (Post 52409)
some of the new refridgerators are using led lights in them. My wife becomes instantly nauseated by the light in these fridges.

How's that? Something about LED's makes her nauseous? :confused:

Arminius 08-11-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 52503)
Hi,

It happens. We're always experimenting with lights at work, and trying to use whiter lights with fewer lamps ("bulbs") in the fixtures by changing the types of ballasts. Some lights make some people feel slightly dizzy until they get used to the light. In other instances, the color of light emitted just isn't acceptable to some people.

Usually we just try changing lights in a wing of the building without telling anyone and then see who complains or what happens. There are usually fewer complaints when they don't know we've "been up to something." The blue-white light of the led makes some people feel slightly disoriented, and have problems with depth perception, among other things. It takes time to adjust.

Gregte 08-11-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 52503)
Hi,

It may be that the LED is being powered with 60 Hz AC. This makes it OFF half the time and ON the other half, creating a pronounced flicker.

This is far more pronounced than the flicker of florescents Since they are not OFF for half of the time. They only get dimmer, briefly, between AC polarity transitions.

MazdaMatt 08-11-2008 09:07 AM

Great diet product - "install the appetite-killer-light in your fridge and you'll want to yack every time you want a snack!"

The led would likely be accompanied by a bridge rectifier and capacitor to stay on full time.

BrianAbington 08-11-2008 10:04 AM

My dad works in appliances at best buy, so we went to say hi to him and while we waited for him to finish helping a customer we looked around at refridgerators and my wife opened the new samsung unit that has the leds inside and instantly felt like she was gonna barf.