EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Let's try this again... (got an '03 Civic Hybrid 5 spd) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lets-try-again-got-03-civic-hybrid-5-a-26296.html)

elhigh 07-01-2013 10:24 PM

Let's try this again... (got an '03 Civic Hybrid 5 spd)

Okay, this time I actually have the car in the driveway.

Today I bought an '03 Honda Civic Hybrid, and yes folks, I found one with a five-speed.

Put about 22 miles on it getting home, averaging (according to the instrument display) about 63 miles per gallon.

That makes the 22 from my Forester look pretty bad.

Pix and deets on the morrow, gotta get some sleep. Doctor appointment tomorrow, hopefully he's going to adjust my blood pressure pill to something bigger/stronger. If he doesn't, I guess I'm just going to die.

rmay635703 07-01-2013 11:28 PM

I've often wondered if the G1 Civic hybred and G1 insight could get comparible MPG hypermiling, similar platform but bad aero and weight on the one.

Hmmm, perhaps prius is all we can get in a 4 seater for hypermiling, keep us posted how it works out.

Cheers
Ryan

MetroMPG 07-02-2013 07:49 AM

Different engines/transmissions too (e.g. ratios, 3 cyl vs. 4 cyl).

Good news that you found a manual. Big question is ... what's the hybrid battery condition?

elhigh 07-02-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 378762)

Good news that you found a manual. Big question is ... what's the hybrid battery condition?

Unknown at this time. In fact the IMA and CEL lights are both on, when neither was lit for the first test drive. This suggests to me that there may have been a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, and there may be one still. I'll have to dig in and find out what's up with that.

This engine is the tiniest one I've ridden behind since my '78 Civic, and that Civic had only half the weight to contend with. But the IMA - which continues to contribute despite the IMA light - makes the engine's output feel comparable to that of my truck. The power delivery is similar to what I'm already familiar with, the only sticking point is the feather-light clutch. Blimey, what a clutch.

UltArc 07-02-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 378764)
Unknown at this time. In fact the IMA and CEL lights are both on, when neither was lit for the first test drive. This suggests to me that there may have been a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, and there may be one still. I'll have to dig in and find out what's up with that.

This engine is the tiniest one I've ridden behind since my '78 Civic, and that Civic had only half the weight to contend with. But the IMA - which continues to contribute despite the IMA light - makes the engine's output feel comparable to that of my truck. The power delivery is similar to what I'm already familiar with, the only sticking point is the feather-light clutch. Blimey, what a clutch.

Or, codes were cleared, and now they are popping up again.

justme1969 07-03-2013 07:21 AM

Nice that should be effective over a forrester.
I wish my 02 was a stick then it wouldnt be broken down in my driveway!

elhigh 07-03-2013 11:05 AM

Well, in fact earlier today the IMA light went out. I didn't do anything. My wife has been studiously examining the owner's manual and pointed out that not turning the gas fill cap several clicks will cause it to throw a CEL, which we all know about by now...and an IMA light! And that those lights may stay on for a few days before going out on their own.

So it's entirely possible that the IMA light was associated with an unsecured gas cap, and my fill-up since then has given it a chance to cancel the light.

This is where my love of older, analog technology bumps up against my distrust of sophisticated electronic controls. Yes, the controls are great...but for a great many of us -at least it is for me - exactly what the controls are doing can leave us bewildered and frustrated. Why did it do that? Will it do it again? Is it a problem I need to do something about? Et cetera.

My truck has a carb. If something goes wrong, I can follow a simple trail of physical clues, and my diagnosis is informed by a good working knowledge of physics and mechanical devices. But the Civic is being directed by a logic tree whose structure is unknown to me, a logic tree designed by a programmer whose priorities may have been different from mine. So while I really like the car so far, I am a little concerned that no matter how long I may own it, I may have difficulty ever entirely trusting it.

California98Civic 07-03-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 378762)

I have posted transmission specs for both the Civic Hybrid and the first gen Insight on my manual transmissions thread. I think I got reliable citations.

elhigh 07-05-2013 11:25 AM

Idiot lights are out

IMA light went out day before yesterday. Just cruising along, suddenly *blink* and it isn't there anymore.

Yesterday on a beer (actually cider) run, the CEL light went out too. Just cruising, *blink* and it's gone.

When those things stop nagging at me, I'd like the car to give a little fanfare, like the old Windows 98 "ta-dah!" Like, "congratulations, we're not going to leave you stranded! We're not going to arbitrarily send you to the shop to get a light turned off! Ta-dah!"

Running average MPG is down to 54.1, damned hills. This is going to take some work to figure out where this thing's sweet spot is.