Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Let's try this again... (got an '03 Civic Hybrid 5 spd)

Okay, this time I actually have the car in the driveway.

Today I bought an '03 Honda Civic Hybrid, and yes folks, I found one with a five-speed.

Put about 22 miles on it getting home, averaging (according to the instrument display) about 63 miles per gallon.

That makes the 22 from my Forester look pretty bad.

Pix and deets on the morrow, gotta get some sleep. Doctor appointment tomorrow, hopefully he's going to adjust my blood pressure pill to something bigger/stronger. If he doesn't, I guess I'm just going to die.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I've often wondered if the G1 Civic hybred and G1 insight could get comparible MPG hypermiling, similar platform but bad aero and weight on the one.

Hmmm, perhaps prius is all we can get in a 4 seater for hypermiling, keep us posted how it works out.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Different engines/transmissions too (e.g. ratios, 3 cyl vs. 4 cyl).

Good news that you found a manual. Big question is ... what's the hybrid battery condition?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Good news that you found a manual. Big question is ... what's the hybrid battery condition?
Unknown at this time. In fact the IMA and CEL lights are both on, when neither was lit for the first test drive. This suggests to me that there may have been a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, and there may be one still. I'll have to dig in and find out what's up with that.

This engine is the tiniest one I've ridden behind since my '78 Civic, and that Civic had only half the weight to contend with. But the IMA - which continues to contribute despite the IMA light - makes the engine's output feel comparable to that of my truck. The power delivery is similar to what I'm already familiar with, the only sticking point is the feather-light clutch. Blimey, what a clutch.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Unknown at this time. In fact the IMA and CEL lights are both on, when neither was lit for the first test drive. This suggests to me that there may have been a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, and there may be one still. I'll have to dig in and find out what's up with that.

This engine is the tiniest one I've ridden behind since my '78 Civic, and that Civic had only half the weight to contend with. But the IMA - which continues to contribute despite the IMA light - makes the engine's output feel comparable to that of my truck. The power delivery is similar to what I'm already familiar with, the only sticking point is the feather-light clutch. Blimey, what a clutch.
Or, codes were cleared, and now they are popping up again.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice that should be effective over a forrester.
I wish my 02 was a stick then it wouldnt be broken down in my driveway!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Novice

Well, in fact earlier today the IMA light went out. I didn't do anything. My wife has been studiously examining the owner's manual and pointed out that not turning the gas fill cap several clicks will cause it to throw a CEL, which we all know about by now...and an IMA light! And that those lights may stay on for a few days before going out on their own.

So it's entirely possible that the IMA light was associated with an unsecured gas cap, and my fill-up since then has given it a chance to cancel the light.

This is where my love of older, analog technology bumps up against my distrust of sophisticated electronic controls. Yes, the controls are great...but for a great many of us -at least it is for me - exactly what the controls are doing can leave us bewildered and frustrated. Why did it do that? Will it do it again? Is it a problem I need to do something about? Et cetera.

My truck has a carb. If something goes wrong, I can follow a simple trail of physical clues, and my diagnosis is informed by a good working knowledge of physics and mechanical devices. But the Civic is being directed by a logic tree whose structure is unknown to me, a logic tree designed by a programmer whose priorities may have been different from mine. So while I really like the car so far, I am a little concerned that no matter how long I may own it, I may have difficulty ever entirely trusting it.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I have posted transmission specs for both the Civic Hybrid and the first gen Insight on my manual transmissions thread. I think I got reliable citations.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Novice

Idiot lights are out

IMA light went out day before yesterday. Just cruising along, suddenly *blink* and it isn't there anymore.

Yesterday on a beer (actually cider) run, the CEL light went out too. Just cruising, *blink* and it's gone.

When those things stop nagging at me, I'd like the car to give a little fanfare, like the old Windows 98 "ta-dah!" Like, "congratulations, we're not going to leave you stranded! We're not going to arbitrarily send you to the shop to get a light turned off! Ta-dah!"

Running average MPG is down to 54.1, damned hills. This is going to take some work to figure out where this thing's sweet spot is.

Reply  Post New Thread