EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Lights out EOC (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lights-out-eoc-7649.html)

cottonfox 03-28-2009 05:52 PM

Lights out EOC

I have a 2009, and when I turn the engine off the lights go out. Not too bad of a deal...except at night when it draws attention to my illegal actions / makes me not see the road for a second.

Anyone else having this issue on newer cars? Workarounds? (Would a kill switch solve the problem...I doubt I'll be able to wire one up...but would it maybe be worthwhile to learn?)

Additionally, and far more irritating, my fuel gauge sometimes goes to empty on the restart, and will stay there for some time. It's a bit unnerving and makes me worry since I just bought the thing in Dec.

taco 03-29-2009 08:41 PM

let me guess chevy auto headlights?, try turning the switch on also.

cottonfox 03-29-2009 09:30 PM

yep there are two different "on" settings. On, and super on (and then the brights). However, the lights are on/off regardless of the switch setting (when the car is on they are on, when off they are off). Kind fun...I guess.

NeilBlanchard 03-29-2009 09:56 PM

Hi,

Are you referring to daytime running lights (which are ~90% as bright as low beams?), and then turning on/off the headlights? This affects the tail and marker lights, too, I think.

MetroMPG 03-30-2009 03:08 PM

You're saying it's impossible to turn the headlights on with the key out of the ignition?

igo 03-30-2009 04:50 PM

My mom has an aveo and I have noticed the same thing. When you turn the key back to turn the engine off the lights go off (I think the parking lights stay on but not the daytime running lights). They will go back on when the key is turned formward but, that second the lights are off is anoying for sure.

cottonfox 04-01-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 94858)
You're saying it's impossible to turn the headlights on with the key out of the ignition?

Well, I could turn them off then back on. BUT, the main issue is for night driving. It would take just as much time as when I cut the engine, then put the ignition back to on.

MetroMPG 04-01-2009 10:38 AM

I'm still trying to make sure I'm reading this right: regardless of whether you have the "manual" headlight switch in the full "lights on" position (ie. not relying on DRL/automatic lights), when you switch the key from the "run" position back to the accessory position, the headlights will go out.

If that's the case, it's the first car I've heard of that does this.

Drive Stick 04-01-2009 01:32 PM

Same here, but a lot of Subaru's lights only operate with the key as well.. leading me to believe you are turning your key too far. You only have to switch it to accessory to shut the engine off, not to off position.

either you're turning the key too far, or this is a new issue we will have to work around with wiring up an independent headlight switch.

cottonfox 04-01-2009 03:12 PM

hmm never thought about the key-turning distance. Thanks! I'll see what I can do here.

[EDIT] No dice. the lights go out on ACC. I could try to engage the parking brake just a bit, this will keep the lights off as well. HOWEVER, still no help at night. [/EDIT]