EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Lithium battery megafactories in pipeline (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lithium-battery-megafactories-pipeline-37947.html)

aerohead 11-02-2019 02:22 PM

Lithium battery megafactories in pipeline

Over at benchmarkminerals.com website,they're showing 68-Lithium battery mega-factories in the pipeline,with a capacity of 1.45-TW-h by 2028.
EV sales are beginning to hockey-stick,we're over 5-millon sales,globally, as of December,2018,and US sales rose 81%.
Top-5 producers as of January,2019, were: TESLA/Panasonic,LG Chem,CATL,CATL,and LG Chem.
I ran some numbers based upon a back-to-back comparison,by CAR and DRIVER,between a Tesla S and BMW 5-series.Due to the thermal inefficiency of internal combustion,it's possible to operate more than 5X as many electric cars as ICE,with no more net energy.The BMW had the equivalent of a 318-kWh pack and got no more range than the Tesla,with 78.3-kWhs.And even though the Tesla cost 14.4% more on the front end,it ultimately cost 25.4% less to 'fuel',over a 30-year transition to a zero-carbon economy.
Apologize if this is redundant info.

rmay635703 11-02-2019 02:48 PM

Once they start becoming standard in starting battery applications is when to take notice.

oil pan 4 11-02-2019 10:13 PM

The useful idiot nimbys here in NM are trying to stop a new cobalt mine from opening.
Once people realize how much buying gas all the time sucks we are going to need a lot more batteries.

redpoint5 11-03-2019 03:08 AM

2019 US sales are on target to fall short of 2018 sales. It might be a hockey stick, but sadly in the wrong direction.

It will happen, but not just yet.

rmay635703 11-03-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610893)
2019 US sales are on target to fall short of 2018 sales. It might be a hockey stick, but sadly in the wrong direction.

Pure BEV sales dropped rebounded and dropped again in Wisconsin after the EV TAX + title increases.

Outside CARB, I think the wait will be very long for any significant change

Maybe we are entering the “Violent Opposition Phase”?

freebeard 11-04-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Due to the thermal inefficiency of internal combustion,it's possible to operate more than 5X as many electric cars as ICE,with no more net energy.
But I just saw somebody claim electric cars pollute just as much because everybody gets their electricity [only] by burning fuel. Could they be 'blowing smoke'?

RedDevil 11-05-2019 05:58 AM

Yes they could.

litesong 11-05-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 610963)
But I just saw somebody claim electric cars pollute just as much because everybody gets their electricity [only] by burning fuel.

You're just repeating the two decade old, pro-fossil fuel propaganda, as if you didn't know it, already. Pretending ignorance, shows with clarity, your connection to dead old propaganda.

freebeard 11-05-2019 11:20 AM

Methinks you've fallen into a sacrchasm.

redpoint5 11-05-2019 12:11 PM

NOpe! It is a racist, sexist, xenophobic, agoraphobic, coulrophobic, something about T-rUmP, lactose intolerant, climate denier.

litesong 11-05-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610981)
NOpe! It is a racist, sexist, xenophobic, agoraphobic, coulrophobic, something about T-rUmP, lactose intolerant, climate denier.

Thanks for delineating so clearly....... 'cept fer all yer mistakes.
Ya gotta spell better. It's "don'T rump".
Jes' drinkin' a glass of moo.
The Avengers with Diana Rigg had an episode on agoraphobia. Enemies of an agoraphobic CEO, drugged him, & placed him in the middle of an empty football field. When he woke up in the middle of the big field, he went crazy.
Coulrophobia is defined by the word, "It".
Of course, using the term "climate denier", you mean "AGW climate change denier".

freebeard 11-05-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for delineating so clearly....... 'cept fer all yer mistakes.
Ya gotta spell better. It's "don'T rump".
Says you. You're not going to [successfully] police other people's speech, when you set such a sterling example yourself.

litesong 11-05-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 611014)
Says you. You're not going to [successfully] police other people's speech, when you set such a sterling example yourself.

Corekshuns:
Seyz u. ur's knot goin' ta [suksessphulee] poe-lees otter peeple's speach, wen u cet cuch a stirlin' exampl yerselph. :D

Corekt spelink:
"don'T rump"..... no joke :D:D

freebeard 11-05-2019 11:17 PM

Okay. Going back to ignoring you until you have something constructive to say now.

aerohead 11-06-2019 11:50 AM

US

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610893)

Keep an eye on the global market.The American piston lobby is doing everything in their power to maintain hegemony in the auto market here.It looks like a failed business model though,as physically,ICE can't possibly compete against EV in any metric,in any statistically significant way.
Foreigners may not be as stupid as Americans.Their arithmetic appears to better than ours.
We'll never be able to compete in a globalized economy as long as we choose to allow vast fortunes to go up in smoke every year.
And isn't cannibalism against the law?

redpoint5 11-06-2019 12:01 PM

Foreign EV markets are propped up by policy, and even then EVs account for next to nothing in sales with exception of certain very small countries.

The achilles heel of EVs is the battery. It's essentially a $10,000-$20,000 fuel tank, that can only be filled slowly, with sparse "rapid" charging infrastructure", that requires environmental regulation (heating/cooling/vibration), that shrinks in capacity over time, that holds less miles of range, whose range is severely reduced in cold conditions (up to half the range). EVs are better in every other way though.

Automakers don't want to make EVs because they aren't profitable. Their ICE counterparts cost half as much and don't suffer the limitations of a battery. Sure, it's a bit bothersome to visit a petrol station occasionally, and charging at home is superior, and the cost of fuel is a bit more per mile than electricity, but consumers prefer those drawbacks to those of an EV.

We'll transition away from ICE, but BEVs aren't there yet. They are for the 1% at the moment, but winning over the 99% will take time and improvements in technology and infrastructure.

As an aside, a used Model S is beginning to be on my radar as the oldest ones are coming down in price. I'd say I stand an 85% chance of purchasing an EV within a year.

freebeard 11-06-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Foreigners may not be as stupid as Americans.Their arithmetic appears to better than ours.
We'll never be able to compete in a globalized economy as long as we choose to allow vast fortunes to go up in smoke every year.
And isn't cannibalism against the law?
I've never understood mathematicians inventing new number systems (excepting Synergetics). Their use of arithmetic seems to give variable results, from Norway to China. Taken as a whole, China and India aren't using their numbers.

Was it Americans or others that jump-started the electric car market?

And cannibalism is Okay among LLCs.

aerohead 11-06-2019 01:01 PM

jump-started

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 611067)
I've never understood mathematicians inventing new number systems (excepting Synergetics). Their use of arithmetic seems to give variable results, from Norway to China. Taken as a whole, China and India aren't using their numbers.

Was it Americans or others that jump-started the electric car market?

And cannibalism is Okay among LLCs.

I'd give AeroVironment credit for the near-recent interest in EVs,after the debut of their Impact,of 1987,which ultimately became the EV1.

aerohead 11-06-2019 01:16 PM

just as much

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 610963)
But I just saw somebody claim electric cars pollute just as much because everybody gets their electricity [only] by burning fuel. Could they be 'blowing smoke'?

There's an 'accuracy' to their comment,when taken in it's proper context.

Back in 2012,CAR and DRIVER did a great article about this.They provided a breakdown,state-by-state,for all fifty states,revealing how 'green' or not,each state's electricity turned out to be.
The long game for EVs (and the reason for their appeal) is charging from a zero-carbon grid at some point in the future.
We maintain mobility,but without the greenhouse gas emissions.And at lower overall cost.
At the EIA website,you can see how dirty coal is in a death spiral (eight coal companies have filed for bankruptcy this year),while cleaner natural gas (aside from it's rogue methane emissions) is taking it's place,along with a slow, incremental rise in renewables.

redpoint5 11-06-2019 01:29 PM

I'm always circling back to the idea of V2G (vehicle to grid) storage schemes to help solve the problem of intermittency of power generation. Whenever you can kill 2 stones with 1 bird, it has my interest.

I wonder how much of a buffer would be reasonably available if 50% of households had EVs connected to the grid? Average household consumption rate is 1.2 kW. EVs could reasonably be expected to output 6-9 kW back to the grid, so they could support 6 households for every connected EV, and that's assuming the need to provide 100% of the electrical needs instead of some "make up" portion.

aerohead 11-06-2019 01:43 PM

buffer

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 611082)
I'm always circling back to the idea of V2G (vehicle to grid) storage schemes to help solve the problem of intermittency of power generation. Whenever you can kill 2 stones with 1 bird, it has my interest.

I wonder how much of a buffer would be reasonably available if 50% of households had EVs connected to the grid? Average household consumption rate is 1.2 kW. EVs could reasonably be expected to output 6-9 kW back to the grid, so they could support 6 households for every connected EV, and that's assuming the need to provide 100% of the electrical needs instead of some "make up" portion.

A friend is only going to attempt 1-kW (synthesized sign-wave inverter)for a power outage.It will allow for refrigerated food preservation,modest LED lighting,and communications,plus potable water pressurization from above-ground storage.
When I was 12-volt,I never knew when power outages happened.There were a few of us,and we just rocked along on without a hiccup.
By the way,complete night time grid failures are a great opportunity for astronomy.You can see really dark skies when urban light bubbles croak.:)

redpoint5 11-06-2019 01:51 PM

I never did understand street lights, especially highway ones. It makes visibility worse while driving, especially when it's foggy out, or the windshield is fogged up.

I've grown up in the sticks, so bright stars are always accessible to me, except for the 1/2 of the time that clouds are in the way.

freebeard 11-06-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

There's an 'accuracy' to their comment,when taken in it's proper context.
That's only one reason why 'blowing smoke' was in single quotes. :)

In the PNW we don't have to beat on the ground to get fuel and burn it. The advantage to electricity is that it's fungible. One source can be substituted for another.

Quote:

A friend is only going to attempt 1-kW (synthesized sign-wave inverter)for a power outage.
Scott Adams picked up the phone and called Tesla. OTOH Jehu Garcia has shown a $500 substitute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779yJ-cWcMk

aerohead 11-06-2019 02:41 PM

street lights

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 611086)
I never did understand street lights, especially highway ones. It makes visibility worse while driving, especially when it's foggy out, or the windshield is fogged up.

I've grown up in the sticks, so bright stars are always accessible to me, except for the 1/2 of the time that clouds are in the way.

It appears that illumination engineers are oblivious to the fact that the human eye is a dynamic organ,which can transition from photopic vision to scotopic vision,and a 30-minute chemical reaction takes place within the retina.
Coming from fully dark-adapted night vision upon a 'glare bomb',or visa versa, can actually create danger to a motorist.
The engineers also don't seem to appreciate that some of the new headlights,which are skewed to the blue end of the spectrum can destroy an onlookers vision,while being great for those behind the wheel of the offending vehicle.Morons! Pedants.
Perhaps the DOT accepts only job applications from those who graduate bottom of the class.

aerohead 11-06-2019 03:26 PM

1.45-TWh= 9.6-million phevs

with a back-of-the-envelope calculation,
the anticipated 2028,1.45 TWh worth of battery production, would support the manufacture of 9,100,000 plug-in hybrid cars/year, with a range of 47-miles;which by the old EV1 metric,would satisfy the range needs of 90% of urban commuters.
As of December,2018,the global population for EVs was 5.1-million.
300-million electric two-and three-wheelers.
460,000 electric buses.
5-million low speed EVs
The EIA believes we'll see EV ownership at 125-million EVs by 2030,and a pathway to 220-million EVs under a more aggressive 'climate change'-fighting scenario.
2050 is a date tossed around,after which we ought to be carbon-zero if we're to dodge a bullet.

redpoint5 10-01-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 611063)
As an aside, a used Model S is beginning to be on my radar as the oldest ones are coming down in price. I'd say I stand an 85% chance of purchasing an EV within a year.

Whelp, I ended up in the 15% chance of not purchasing an EV. Was getting pretty hot for a used Bolt EV end of 2020 but waited too long thinking battery recalls would cause prices to plummet. My parents now own a 2012 Leaf.

... and if anyone is wondering where litesong was reincarnated, IT recently appeared as liresong on this forum. Like and subscribe!