EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   The little things (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/little-things-19319.html)

Kodak 10-28-2011 01:50 PM

The little things

What are some of the really micro driving changes you have made or plan to make for fuel economy? I'm not talking about coasting more or timing lights, I mean stuff that saves so little fuel that gains are lost in tank-to-tank noise.

When it's sunny out, I have to remember to put my sunglasses on before starting the engine (the garage is dark, so I forget). Otherwise I spend a few seconds idling to get them out.

Daox 10-28-2011 02:11 PM

Always buckle up before starting the engine... that one always annoys me when I'm with other drivers.

Pull through a parking spot so I don't have to back up to get out.

ajjct 10-28-2011 02:17 PM

having the car facing to the road so i dont have to turn around wild ideling.

user removed 10-28-2011 08:24 PM

Back your warm car into the garage so you don't have to back the cold car out and up the 10 foot grade to the street with a nasty slope on the North side of the driveway.

Can I discount the BTUs of heat energy my cars contribute to warming the garage from my fuel use? ;)

Just thought I'd ask since others use block heaters and don't count the BTUs to heat the car's cooling system.

Use rain-x and save your wiper motor's electrical use.

regards
Mech

Kodak 10-28-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 267794)
Back your warm car into the garage so you don't have to back the cold car out...

What about carbon monoxide poisoning? Is your garage separate from your house?

Or maybe you EOC back into the garage, which would negate my question entirely.

Ladogaboy 10-29-2011 02:13 PM

As others have said, make sure to take account of your route. I would suggest actual empirical notes, so you're no basing your route decisions on individual, anecdotal experiences.

One of my key tips is to take advantage of light sensors. In Los Angeles, it is nigh impossible to not get stuck at a light. So you are either idling for a while, or shutting your engine off while waiting. If you don't want to do the latter, make sure your tires roll to a stop on those black, tar cuts in the asphalt. They are usually circular or hex-/oct-agonal in shape. By stopping on them, you trip a sensor that tells the light to go green sooner.

jakobnev 10-29-2011 04:20 PM

I try to get everything done before starting engine:

Radio front.
Sun shield.
Seat belt.
Turn the wheels to the right angle.
Windshield wiper lever to the right position.
1st gear in. (If i'm going forwards.)

I don't reverse to park, because going forwards i can EOC 150m or so instead.

user removed 10-29-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodak (Post 267795)
What about carbon monoxide poisoning? Is your garage separate from your house?

Or maybe you EOC back into the garage, which would negate my question entirely.

The garage is under the left side (facing the house). The lot is a right to left 1 in 5 descending grade. Garage is 21 feet wide and 35 feet deep. It has ventilation at the bottom so monoxide (as well as water) would just leak out if there was any accumulation. Monoxide is heavier than air.

regards
Mech

Arragonis 10-30-2011 05:19 AM

Regular routine -

Get in, belt up (its the law).
Make sure passengers are also belted (its the law).
Change glasses (I have distance ones for driving)
Set SATNAV (locks when moving) if required
Choose appropriate tune or radio station so I don't have to fiddle later
Into gear
Start engine with clutch down
Move and drive.

Piwoslaw 10-30-2011 05:52 AM

I try to park facing towards the sun. That way the reflective windshield cover keeps most of the heat out, and keeps the engine bay slightly warmer. In the summer I prefer shade, but also facing the sun with the windshield cover deployed.