EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Looking for a car for a friend (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-car-friend-1996.html)

Daox 04-25-2008 10:09 AM

Looking for a car for a friend

I have a friend with a 93 Chevy Lumina that is falling apart with about 180k on it right now. So, I offered to keep an eye out on craigslist for something for him. He said he'd like to spend about $6000 max, so I'm kinda limited on what I can get. He drives a lot for work so mileage is important, however he thinks the 25 mpg he gets in his lumina is 'pretty good'. He also has a fairly heavy foot. To top it all off, he has three kids and would like to be able to fit them all in the back of the new car, however this isn't a requirement. So, I'm starting to look out for a car in that range that gets descent mileage (30+ at least). It can need some work since I'd be willing to help him fix it up. You guys have any suggestions? I know theres the used car thread, but those are mostly very small cars. I have a good idea of what I'm looking for, but would still like suggestions.

dremd 04-25-2008 10:14 AM

My vote is on Mid/ Early 90's (5sfe) Camry 4 cylinder 5 speed would leave him with money left over.

Can't go wrong with an Accord either.

MetroMPG 04-25-2008 10:50 AM

The Camry is a good idea. Would he drive a stick?

Daox 04-25-2008 10:58 AM

I think he probably would drive stick. Camry and Accord are both good options of course. I've also noticed that the newer Neons (2000+) are very reasonably priced and have descent ratings compared to most american cars per consumer reports. I just can't remember how exactly large these cars are. I'm thinking they're more the size of the newer Corolla which may be enough room?

dremd 04-25-2008 11:01 AM

The Newer Neons may be ok (don't know), but the Old ones are POS IMHO. I pretty much had a business rolling changing head gaskets on them one summer.

Daox 04-25-2008 11:05 AM

Yeah, I know the first gens were head gasket goblins. But, the new ones do seem to have semi descent ratings. Mileage isn't too bad. Its slightly higher than an Accord/Camry of the late 90s.

Meph 04-25-2008 11:05 AM

mom has owned two corolla's 2003,2006 and they are both nice cars. THe 06 seems to be lackign power from when I last drove it : / but I might jsut be too used to my little monster. Id recommend a corolla, good pickup and MPG

Daox 04-25-2008 11:08 AM

03 corolla would be great, but you can't touch one for $6k.

MetroMPG 04-25-2008 11:12 AM

If he's willing to go Neon sized, I think I'd be steering him toward Civic/Corolla 5-speed.

Diesel?

Daox 04-25-2008 11:17 AM

Yeah, I'd like to see him in a Civic or Corolla definitly. The only thing is the older Civic/Corolla are a fair amount smaller than the Neon IIRC. I don't know how much of a hang up this'll be with him. I really need to see how much he drives per week and use the cash savings of a higher mileage car to leverage his decision. :)

Diesel is too expensive. I couldn't find anything reasonable for $6k.