EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Looking at a "reconstructed title" Plug In Prius (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-reconstructed-title-plug-prius-30878.html)

redpoint5 01-15-2015 02:32 PM

Looking at a "reconstructed title" Plug In Prius

Is there any way to tell the condition of the battery? I have an ELM237 device and torque on my phone.

The guy is asking $14,500 for a reconstructed title 2012 Plug in Prius with 35,000 on the odometer. That is very close to 70% of normal private party, which is about what I consider a reasonable discount considering no more warranty.

I don't know why, but it's only Russians that sell these reconstructed vehicles.

I was planning to hold off until the gen IV is released since it might drive down the cost of the gen III, but the PiP is a very rare car in these parts. What do you think?

Daox 01-15-2015 02:36 PM

Why was it reconstructed?

For the same price you can just about get a used Leaf or Volt that isn't reconstructed. I'm not really sure exactly what you're looking for though. Those might not suit you.

darcane 01-15-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 463736)
Is there any way to tell the condition of the battery? I have an ELM237 device and torque on my phone.

The guy is asking $14,500 for a reconstructed title 2012 Plug in Prius with 35,000 on the odometer. That is very close to 70% of normal private party, which is about what I consider a reasonable discount considering no more warranty.

I don't know why, but it's only Russians that sell these reconstructed vehicles.

I was planning to hold off until the gen IV is released since it might drive down the cost of the gen III, but the PiP is a very rare car in these parts. What do you think?

Do you have the VIN?

redpoint5 01-15-2015 05:50 PM

The car had right front damage and the headlight, bumper, hood, and quarter panel was replaced.

The Russian guy barely spoke English and told me the battery was full. Well, the car wouldn't go into EV mode because the charge was too low and he doesn't have the charge cable. The hybrid mode indicated a full battery, however. The guy selling bought at auction and had the damage repaired.

The car drove perfect and appears to be in good shape, but who knows what condition the battery is in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 463765)
Do you have the VIN?

Jtdkn3dp1c3013619

redpoint5 01-15-2015 10:24 PM

Doax has a good point about other vehicles. I looked at a 2011 Leaf for $12,500 and decided to pass because I was so mad about how they implemented the heater on that model year. It would have been a harder sell for the wife too, who scoffs at the idea of plugging in a car.

I haven't considered a Volt, but perhaps that's a good option. It would be best to wait until the end of the year when people upgrade to the gen II Volt and gen IV Prius.

Still, I don't see that many plug in Prii around here, and the guy is asking a more reasonable price than most have asked. I'm thinking $13,500 will be my firm offer, considering there is no charging cable and I can't fully evaluate the health of the battery.

I have an easier time selling the Prius to the wife since she doesn't have to plug it in, and it looks much better than a Leaf. It would also be very economical for road trips.

Not sure if the 3 digits below the main number are important. Can anyone tell me what history exists for this VIN?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...rum/PiPVIN.jpg

Cobb 01-15-2015 10:50 PM

Id walk, how "convenient" he didnt have the cable. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 463778)
Well, the car wouldn't go into EV mode because the charge was too low and he doesn't have the charge cable. The hybrid mode indicated a full battery, however.

mikeyjd 01-15-2015 11:00 PM

Doesn't seem like a great deal without more pertinent info available. Seems a bit risky to me, but it could work out.

Xist 01-16-2015 12:51 AM

Would you purchase the cable eventually? It really sounds like there is not any way of knowing without the cable. Perhaps you could find a local PiP owner through Prius Chat.

This is the least-expensive one that I found. Most were $750+

Brand New Toyota Prius Plug in RAV4 EV Scion IQ EV Charging Cable Genuine OE | eBay

redpoint5 01-16-2015 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 463836)
Would you purchase the cable eventually? It really sounds like there is not any way of knowing without the cable. Perhaps you could find a local PiP owner through Prius Chat.

This is the least-expensive one that I found. Most were $750+

Brand New Toyota Prius Plug in RAV4 EV Scion IQ EV Charging Cable Genuine OE | eBay

I'd certainly get a cable. That's the whole point of getting a PiP. I figure at $13,500 the car is worth it even if it doesn't take a full normal charge considering salvage title regular Prii go for that amount. The cable is a standard J1772, and those can be had for $100.

MobilOne 01-16-2015 04:23 AM

How can you be sure the mileage is correct? Just because the odometer says so doesn't mean much. Be wary.