Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Accent - '05 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)
Current sensing circuit - Need help

Good afternoon,
I want to build an arduino based current data acquisition setup. I was thinking of using a current transformer like this one and then send the output to an arduino. I have average knowledge of electronics and programming and need your help on some points.

First of all, how hard is it to use the Arduino as a USB data input? I would only need to record data about once per minute in a CSV file. If it is too hard to implement this on the Arduino I will probably end up using something like a Dataq.

No matter what the sensor is hooked to, its output will be a small AC voltage (<10 VRMS) and (I think) will have to be converted to DC for before being fed to the acquisiton module. What is the usual and/or simplest way to do this? The only AC -> DC conversion I ever made was a bridge of 4 diodes without even a smoothing cap and I don't know if there is a magic IC which could do a similar job and be more precise. If it matters, this module will be measuring a 60Hz electric motor.

Well that is a big part of my problem. Thank you for your help.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
There are current transformers that output a suitable DC - I have used an "LTS 25NP" in the past.

Reply  Post New Thread