Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Electric Car Builder

Getting my feet wet. New electric car builder.

Hello everybody!

I have been reading Ecomodder material for several months now and have finally begun to contribute a few of my own ideas to the forums. So I figured I ought to introduce myself and I hope to start getting to know many of you too!

I am a research addict. I love digging into and assimilating the knowledge that brilliant people have left behind. I am fairly good at synthesizing new ideas and I love to dream big. I do consider myself a skeptic; I change my opinions to match what is supported by good evidence, even if the answer isn't what I was hoping for. As a great man once said: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'm a decent musician, an amateur fiction writer, a cat lover, and now an electric car builder, owner, and operator.

My first and current EcoModder undertaking is the ARC 1, which is a 1993 Plymouth Laser which will soon be running on electrons rather than petroleum. I have a full build blog on DIYElectricCar garage, and will post one on Ecomodder soon. I will be using a variation of the Open Revolt motor controller that was pioneered by the good people on this forum.

I am a pilot by profession, currently employed as a flight instructor in Northern Utah. I plan to work for the airlines eventually, but I have my hopes set on Scandinavian Airline Group, which has impressed me with their goal of being zero-emissions by the year 2050. I believe they can and will succeed in this goal.

I use the screen name AviatorBJP as my internet alias with Ecomodder, DIYElectriccar, and Youtube, but my wife likes to call me Brad for one reason or another. Everybody on this forum is welcome to use my real name.

I thank all of you that are trying to make a difference in the world.

-Brad

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome Brad!
With your depth of commitment, and hands on knowledge; I'm sure it might be you doing more of the schooling, and showing us how here!

How much does the Laser weigh now, compared to a future estimate?
Do you anticipate re-springing the car?

Look forward to your progress in future posts.
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Electric Car Builder

Hi Larrybuck,

Thanks for the welcome!

The laser started out at about 2600 lbs at the time of purchase. It was a dead car, and I consider the ARC 1 to be my biggest recycling project I have ever undertaken.

Currently the car is a glider. It weighs only 2100 lbs. I will be adding 700 pounds over the next few months, for an estimated ending weight of 2800 lbs. Not too bad for a lead acid car. I figure the difference between the stock weight and the converted weight is small enough to use the existing suspension successfully.

Reply  Post New Thread