EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Matching paint on mods (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/matching-paint-mods-11092.html)

mcrews 11-20-2009 10:28 PM

Matching paint on mods

about a year ago, I needed to have some repairs done on the aftermarket body kit on my Q45. It was going to run $1000 just to repaint the whole bumpers. :( The repair area was small but the paint guy said he couldnt quarantee the match unless he did the whole bumper.
I seasrched the web and found this company
Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories
Microfinish LLC in louisianna. they mix custom 12 oz aerosol cans to match the paint code. I ordered a couple of cans and was VERY pleased with the result. It matched!!
It's $20 bucks a can but in my opinion, it is well worth it.:thumbup:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...q/q45027-2.jpg

Ryland 11-21-2009 09:27 AM

My local auto part store only charges $11 to mix metal flake paint and put it in a spray can for me, $8 for solid colors, they just need a paint code off the door jam, they also tend to mix more then fits in the spray can so they always give me a half cup or so in a small can that I can brush on to scratches.

mcrews 11-21-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 140788)
My local auto part store only charges $11 to mix metal flake paint and put it in a spray can for me, $8 for solid colors, they just need a paint code off the door jam, they also tend to mix more then fits in the spray can so they always give me a half cup or so in a small can that I can brush on to scratches.

that's great!
so it pep boys?
is it Kragens?
is it Rilleys?
is it walmat?
is it NAPA?
cause I dont have one "local auto part store" that mixes paint.
Sacramento is kind of a hick town .......
I could probably start from scratch and call all the paint shops and see who could do it..........

Ryland 11-21-2009 06:43 PM

I had it mixed at Oreilly auto parts, they are a chain but I'm not sure how big, the Napa in town closed a year or more ago but they used to mix paint as well, I think the last time I had some mixed as at an Auto Value store, so yeah, of the three auto part stores that we still have in town 2 of the mix paint and can put it in spray cans for you... I should hope that this kind of thing is not rare.

mcrews 11-21-2009 08:42 PM

Ryland,
Thanks soooo much.
I am familiar w/ Orielly......they just bought kragen....(i think)

Fankly I would have never even gone in a asked!!!

You just saved me about 10 bucks a can...plus shipping!!!

mark

RobertSmalls 11-21-2009 09:25 PM

Carquest charged me $20 for the same service.

O'Reilly bought CSK (Checker, Schluck's, and Kragen) during the recent financial crisis, and that makes them the #3 auto parts chain. They're not around on the east coast, but you've got me thinking we could use a little extra competition around here.

wagonman76 11-23-2009 01:08 PM

Then you've gotta hope the paint matches. With a new car and original owner it's probably fine, but if it's ever been repainted, faded, whatever, there's no telling if it'll match.

For my mods I try to get reasonably and cheaply close, and call it good. I've even though of painting my mods eco-green, highlighting the parts that have been added to increase FE.

JonnyG 11-30-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 140797)
that's great!
so it pep boys?
is it Kragens?
is it Rilleys?
is it walmat?
is it NAPA?
cause I dont have one "local auto part store" that mixes paint.
Sacramento is kind of a hick town .......
I could probably start from scratch and call all the paint shops and see who could do it..........

I called around to all those places when I needed paint and NAPA was by far the cheapest, but not every NAPA mixes paint, so call ahead.

dremd 03-11-2010 11:47 PM

"most" automotive paint stores have this ability.
I know of 3 in my town that do, I see microfinnish is from NOLA (150 miles from me) I don't remember hearing about them, but Mike an Jerry's does a great job at this and has 3 locations North Shore, south shore and Baton Rouge.

ahab13 03-17-2010 12:56 AM

Mcrews, I'm pretty sure Jerry's paint supply mixes touch up paint in spray cans. I've never actually bought them, but I do buy automotive paint there and they're a wholesaler so they have pretty good prices.
See information on Jerry's Paint & Supply Inc at MacRaesBlueBook.com