Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jenny - '02 Chevrolet Prizm Lsi
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)

Crowley - '23 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 28.31 mpg (US)
Dpfe sensor problem

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, since it is kinda related to fuel economy, but anyways, I have a 1994 ford ranger 4cyl 5sp, and one of the hoses that send exhaust gas to the dpfe sensor rotted off flush with the exhaust manifold. (dpfe sensor controls the egr valve, for those who don't know) well replacing the manifold is out of the question, since I'm not willing to risk snapping off bolts in my engine block. It's been getting 17-19 mpg for the past three tanks whereas it was getting about 26-28 when I had it on the road last 2 years ago. So my question is, would it be better for me to completely block off the egr? Or is there a way to fix hey he problem without replacing the manifold? I'm also not against the idea of unplugging the dpfe and putting a variable valve on a vacuum line going to the egr and testing to see if it would get better mileage with the egr open or partially open at all times. (my thought is it will decrease pumping losses, and since incoming air is measured by the Maf sensor before the egr, it may lean it out and "de-tune" the truck a little) but I'll have to read up more on that. All I know is I gotta do something cuz 19 mpg is just unacceptable from this little truck

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread