EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Me and my Previa (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/me-my-previa-19600.html)

AndrzejM 11-26-2011 08:48 AM

Me and my Previa

Hi All,

It's my first post here, so maybe I'll introduce myself. I'm from Poland and a proud owner of '95 Previa. I bought it recently, and finally I had ability to hit a long road to check it's FE. I haven’t modified anything yet just to check the base level of FE. I just changed spark plugs and wires, new oil and cooling fluid.
So I filled it up and started my trip. My only weapon was my right foot and the consciousness. Car is stock 8 seater, and I haven’t took from it yet. So I was driving with all the seats, spare tyre, some stuff I need for my work and myself.
I was counting for something around 10l/100km (23.52 MPG US), but it seems that I was better than that because FE was at level of 9.2l/100km (25.57 MPG US).
That’s my starting point. I wish to reach level of 7.5l/100km (31.36 MPG US). So keep your fingers crossed for me.

ecomodded 11-26-2011 04:46 PM

I think you will make that,A tip for you is put high air pressure in the tires and lighten the load by removing all of the non essential seating,aka the bench seats, then drive slow & steady with some pulse n glides and coasting, be fully economical in your driving style.

AndrzejM 11-27-2011 04:56 AM

Thanks for the tip ;-)

Piwoslaw 11-27-2011 08:24 AM

Czesc Andrzej, witamy na EcoModderze!
Where in Poland are you from? Is your driving mostly city or highway?

9 l/100km is already good in a minivan like that, but it is still possible to improve on. Check out what Orange4boy has done with his Previa:
The Golden Egg mod thread. Mostly minivan modding

Get rid of as many seats as you can! That weight is a killer if you drive mostly in the city. Tire pressure can be raised, and a grille block will help. Oh, and an engine kill switch for red lights:)
Pulse & glide works, even with the engine on, as long as you're not going too fast. And I know how hard it is to go slow in Poland!!

euromodder 11-27-2011 05:51 PM

Welcome to ecomodder.

9L/100km in a Previa is already a good start - helped by the manual transmission - as these had a reputation of being gas guzzlers back in the day.

Homesplat 11-30-2011 12:20 AM

Welcome... I went to Germany a few years ago and most of the mini-vans I saw there had like a 1.9L motor. You have a bit of meat under your hood as far as european cars go, don't you?

AndrzejM 12-01-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesplat (Post 272395)
Welcome... I went to Germany a few years ago and most of the mini-vans I saw there had like a 1.9L motor. You have a bit of meat under your hood as far as european cars go, don't you?

Not really ;-) There's a lot of mini-vans with engines from 1.6 to over 4 liters so mine is a middle class :)

Thanks for all replies (Piwoslaw - we have to meet someday!). Just to let you know yesterday I got back home from my trip abroad and two more full tanks were burn ;-)

Here are statistics:
1. 602km distance 52.16 litres = 8.66 l/100km (27.16 MPG US)
2. 795km 64.02 litres = 8.05 l/100km (29.22 MPG US)

I just blocked grill with a piece of carboard, inflated tyres to more PSI and I think I slightly improved my eco-driving. Mostly because I know better my car, and I was driving a bit slower this time.

So my goal may be easier to achive than I thought previously. We'll see how high with MPG I can get with my Previa. Keep your fingers crossed!

Piwoslaw 12-01-2011 01:05 PM

Woohoo! If you keep it up you'll pass your goal quite soon:) Unfortunately winter will be here soon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrzejM (Post 272594)
(Piwoslaw - we have to meet someday!)

I think something could be arranged. Where are you from? You may have seen me on the roads in central or southern Poland.

I doubt that your '95 Previa is OBDII/EOBD compatible, but if you are good with electronics then maybe you could get a MPGuino working? Keeping an eye on certain engine parameters helps with hypermiling.

AndrzejM 12-01-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 272646)
I think something could be arranged. Where are you from? You may have seen me on the roads in central or southern Poland.

I doubt that your '95 Previa is OBDII/EOBD compatible, but if you are good with electronics then maybe you could get a MPGuino working? Keeping an eye on certain engine parameters helps with hypermiling.

I'm from Grodzisk Mazowiecki and I'm working in Warsaw so we're practically neighbours:)

Yes you're right Previa is not OBD II compatible, and I thought of MPGuino, but maybe I'll find another solution for MPG analyzer.

Right now I'm planning to change the radiator fan from belt driven to electric. That will be my first modification. :cool:

Piwoslaw 12-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrzejM (Post 272651)
Right now I'm planning to change the radiator fan from belt driven to electric. That will be my first modification. :cool:

I'm sure that will make a noticeable difference, both in engine load and warm-up times:D

"Neighbours" in a way: I live on the far side of Warsaw (Falenica), but I'm in Piastów about once a week (sometimes weekends, sometimes weekdays), though usually by train and/or bike;) I'll let you know next time I take the car there (no sooner than January, probably), maybe we could meet somewhere in between?