EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Metric entries in the garage? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/metric-entries-garage-2051.html)

chuma 04-28-2008 12:49 PM

Metric entries in the garage?

Would it be possible to add a metric entry option to the fuel log in the garage? I live in Canada, I fill up in litres, I drive kilometres, it would be greatly appreciated...

MetroMPG 04-28-2008 01:03 PM

Yup, it's on the to do list.

I will warn you though that the to do list has items added to it faster than they're checked off. And they get checked off at a somewhat liesurely pace. So I won't promise when, but it will happen.

PS - welcome to the site, chuma! We exchanged e-mail a while back.

chuma 04-28-2008 01:18 PM

No worries.

If you need PHP code help, let me know though... it's one of the languages I live and breathe.

Achtung 05-02-2008 09:14 PM

If you're good with Excel, make a spreadsheet. I made myself one. After each tank, all I do is input my km, L, and $/L into a new row. I set it up so it gives me US Gal, $/tank, miles, L/100km, and US mpg. I also have lifetime averages calculated for L/100km, mpg, $/L, km/tank, $/tank, $/km. It's neat! a good record to keep with all the information, it's easy to use once it's set up, and it makes inputting numbers into the fuel log easier. Probably more accurate too.

dremd 05-03-2008 09:35 AM

Who about adding Watt hours?

If not I need to find the conversion fot watt hours to mpg.

tasdrouille 05-03-2008 03:14 PM

I go in google and I query say "735 km in mi" and google gives mi the number of miles which I enter in the fuel log. I then run say "45.551 L in gal" and google gives me the number of gallons equivalent...simple an convenient

Sensei Marc 07-07-2008 10:28 AM

Hi

I like your site and the information that is available, however, as a Canadian driver I find the Fuel log and Trip section to be no use to me unless a conversion to metric is done.

Having a conversion to metric is an easy addition, and would open the rest of the world to your site without compromising the information gathered.

Thanks
Sensei Marc

meelis11 03-18-2011 05:55 AM

any updates about this feature? Easiest way would be to add two radiobuttons after miles and gallons fields.
Example:
miles/kilometers: [enter here] (*) miles ( ) kilometers
gallons/liters: [enter here] (*) gallons ( ) liters

So if user wants to enter fuel in liters, he/she checks kilometers option. After submit, script makes conversion.

brucepick 03-20-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meelis11 (Post 226130)
any updates about this feature? Easiest way would be to add two radiobuttons after miles and gallons fields.
Example:
miles/kilometers: [enter here] (*) miles ( ) kilometers
gallons/liters: [enter here] (*) gallons ( ) liters

So if user wants to enter fuel in liters, he/she checks kilometers option. After submit, script makes conversion.

That's the easy part, by my estimation.

To compare cars fairly, all entries would need to be in the same units of measure. So the metric entries would need to be converted to miles. Or all entries would need to be converted to some "universal" system. To add extra complexity, Imperial Gallons would need to be converted to US gallons. Or all would need to be converted to metric.

When you're only "competing" against yourself it's not an issue - but when cars are being compared such as EcoModder Team Competition, you need a uniform basis for comparison.

Weather Spotter 03-20-2011 08:20 AM

Make your own excel file. Thats what I did 7 years ago and now I have great records and data to play with. Say I want to know my life time average cost per mile, I can get it with just a few clicks.

MetroMPG 03-20-2011 08:28 AM

No update, other than to say it's still on the to-do list. Look for it before the end of the month.

Piwoslaw 03-20-2011 12:46 PM

Can I compare my kilometers per imp gallon to everyone else's miles per liter?

Sorry, I couldn't resist;)

meelis11 03-20-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 226479)
That's the easy part, by my estimation.

To compare cars fairly, all entries would need to be in the same units of measure. So the metric entries would need to be converted to miles. Or all entries would need to be converted to some "universal" system. To add extra complexity, Imperial Gallons would need to be converted to US gallons. Or all would need to be converted to metric.

When you're only "competing" against yourself it's not an issue - but when cars are being compared such as EcoModder Team Competition, you need a uniform basis for comparison.

I mean same thing - after submit script converts liters to gallons and kilometers to miles. So database keeps all fuel logs in same units - they are converted to miles and gallons before inserting.

and this imperial gallon thing - lets make 3 options then
gallons/liters: [enter here] (*) US gallons ( ) Imp gallons ( ) liters

Hauki 05-25-2011 04:31 PM

Hauki 05-25-2011 04:32 PM

Hauki 05-25-2011 04:32 PM

Hauki 05-25-2011 04:33 PM

Ahhh post count up now so I can post this link:
Fuel Consumption Calculator

Converts UK/US/Litres

meelis11 10-19-2011 08:43 AM

Still waiting...any chance that it will be done soon?
I know i can convert units in other places like excel and online calculators but still, it is cumbersome.
one thing is inserting fueling to fuel log, other - would be nice if I could select metric and see other people fuel logs in metric units.

gasstingy 11-17-2011 08:20 AM

For the first time, I saw the new format this morning as I was entering my latest fill. Too cool! I saw my mileage choices, in my case I was happy with the default, but then VIOLA! My mileage shows up in multiple formats. Now I see how I compare to the people who use other formats in their calculations.

Give yourselves a hearty pat on the back, well done! That deserves two thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup:

MetroMPG 11-17-2011 10:05 AM

Glad you like it!

Right now, the units conversions are only being saved & displayed for new & edited fuel log entries. (So if you want all your entries to show conversions, just edit & resubmit them as-is.)

In a little while all the existing entries will be updated too.

toc 11-18-2011 03:05 AM

Thanks for the metric units! Love it.

California98Civic 11-19-2011 12:41 PM

Not a bug, just a thanks for the cool redesign of the data representation re: distance and volume. The multiple different measures in gray below the MPG and miles make a cool tool.

euromodder 11-23-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 270749)
Glad you like it!

In a little while all the existing entries will be updated too.

I love it as well !
Thanks !

No more swapping back and forth between a conversion page and the garage entry.

meelis11 03-21-2012 04:56 AM

Hi,
now we have options to insert fuel log entries in metric.
However some calculations are not correct if I inserted data in metric:
Quote:

Average cost per gallon: $1.35
Average cost per fill: $19.16
Average cost per mile: $0.03
Total gallons used: 56.77
This is not most important thing, but I let you know calculations are not correct ("average cost per fill", "Average cost per mile"), other are just labeled wrong labels.

Woult be nice if I enter "fuel used" in liters, then data I quoted would be
Quote:

Average cost per liter: $xxx
Average cost per fill: $xxx
Average cost per kilometer: $xxx
Total liters used: xxx
thank you,
Meelis