EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Metro Timing Advance?? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/metro-timing-advance-2587.html)

SirKeats 05-27-2008 03:37 PM

Metro Timing Advance??

I read a couple threads but was a little confused... mostly because I'm not certain as to the specs of my engine.

Does my '89 metro have the xfi cam? I know it's rated the same mpg as the xfi models... but isn't an xfi itself. I've been told they're essentially the same though.

Sounds like 2-3 degree advance is ideal for the xfi's and 4-5 for the non-xfi's. Just wondering which one I should go with.

If it matters - I'm at about 60% highway / 40% city... give or take. I keep it below 60mph at all times on the highway.

Thanks for the info!

Johnny Mullet 05-27-2008 10:43 PM

It is probably not an XFI. The XFI is clearly badged and the engine has a different cam and computer from the other models.

The best way to set the timing is to first read the How To from TeamSwift here.............
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=18091

I would set it a 8 degrees advanced and then test drive it. If the engine starts to ping under load, then retard it to 6 degrees. Sometimes you have to play it by ear to get it just right.

SirKeats 05-27-2008 11:08 PM

is there a way to tell for sure regarding the engine and tranny (i.e. via serial number)?

i ask because the 89 didn't come in an XFi... however, the mpg specs are exactly the same for the 89 as they are for the 90-94 XFi models.

i assumed that this meant ALL 89's were XFi's and beginning in 90 they started offering the XFi as an optional model rather than the only model.

perhaps i'm wrong though... which is why i'd like to check to make sure.

thanks!

Johnny Mullet 05-27-2008 11:22 PM

Metro XFi ('89-'94)
Metro Base Level ('89-'00)
Metro LSi ('89-'93)('95-'01)

All Geo Metros came standard with a 1.0 liter, 3 cylinder engine. The XFi model was designed for maximum fuel efficiency. It had a lighter curb weight, different computer, camshaft and transmission than the base or LSi models. It also had less comfort and convenience options than the other models. It boasted 53 city/58 highway mpg numbers and received "Most Fuel Efficient car in America" for all six years of it's production. It was dropped after the '94 model year because of slow sales.

I am not exactly sure how to check the engine for this, but the car should be clearly marked or badged as an XFi if it was. The EPA readings always vary and you cannot base your conclusion on that.

You could go by the curb weight if your tag is still on the door.
1621 vs 1650 lbs

MetroMPG 05-27-2008 11:31 PM

How to Identify a Geo Metro XFi

From Coyote X's site.

SirKeats 05-28-2008 08:05 AM

see... coyote's site says XFi's were made from 91-94... so whether it's an XFi or not, based on the epa numbers for mpg, it appears as though the 89 gets the same mpg as an XFi model. epa has no listing for an XFi for 89... it does have an XFi (along with base model) for 90-94.

based on the description from http://gtkgeo.50megs.com/ however, the XFi's were made from 89-94. that said, even though mine isn't branded, it has the all black bumper instead of the two tone. it also has the shift indicator light, which though not listed as a distinguishing feature on either site... i thought was an sign of an XFi model - no?

MetroMPG 05-28-2008 09:00 AM

You could pull the valve cover and measure the cam lobes. That'd at least tell you if you've got the XFi cam profile. The measurements for the XFi cam vs. regular are floating around here somewhere. Or visit metrompg.com and look for the stats in the XFi cam swap post.

Coyote X 05-28-2008 12:00 PM

all the xfi models had ms in the vin instead of mr so if the car came factory with the xfi cam and gears then the vin will show it.

Measuring the cam is probably the easiest way to see if it currently has the xfi cam. lobe height can be measured through the oil filler cap. The numbers are floating around somewhere for it but I can't seem to find them.

As far as I can tell the base metro cam has been the same for the 3 cyl:

Lift/Duration at .050"
85-87 1.0/3cyl 330 /192
89-01 1.0/3cyl 330 /198

JJW 05-28-2008 12:17 PM

I had the regular G10 3 cyl in my 97 Metro. I did some experimentation and found I got the best mileage when using 93 octane and about 4 degrees advance, however, if I were you I'd take the advice of advancing it up to 6 or 8 degrees then backing off 1 degree at a time if you get pinging. Use a sharpie to make a line on the distributer and block so you can both judge the change and you can put it back if you need to. Make sure you set it while running whatever fuel you intend to keep running, and personally I made a chart of increments from 2 to 10 degrees and measured the effect of each on my mileage.

SirKeats 05-28-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote X (Post 29085)
all the xfi models had ms in the vin instead of mr so if the car came factory with the xfi cam and gears then the vin will show it.

yay!!!

as i thought... despite not being badged as XFi... my vin does indeed have the MS in it instead of MR... so i'm 99% sure it's an XFi (again... i still think all 89's are XFi's... but could be wrong).

i'll try to find info on measuring cam lobes via the oil fil. thanks coyote!!

that said... assuming XFi - does the amount of advance change? if so, please advise. thanks!