EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   mileage is mileage, right? (question about accuracy of small fill) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mileage-mileage-right-question-about-accuracy-small-fill-1723.html)

Chris D. 04-05-2008 06:54 PM

mileage is mileage, right? (question about accuracy of small fill)

It wasn't a very long distance to travel, but it was all in town mileage.. A friend of mine kicked in on gas and said he'd fill it, so I took him up on it and went with it..

I had 104 mi. (this is the corrected mileage for the compensated tire size)
it took 3.111 US gal to fill

brings me to 33.43 MPG

reguardless of distance, mileage is mileage.. right? :confused:

I added it to my log, but I didnt want it to seem as tho I was cheating myself out of my log accuracy (or as close as possible) and i can edit as needed on it..

I'm trying to keep this by the book..
lemme know..

MetroMPG 04-05-2008 08:29 PM

The smaller the fill, the more your MPG figure will be affected by factors like slightly over/underfilling compared to where you usually stop filling.

In the end it'll all even out. You'll know next time you fill up if it was an odd ball.

DifferentPointofView 04-06-2008 01:13 AM

yea, When I fill up, my first 3 gallons are usually the best, cause I usually go for about 60 miles all highway, so the mileage bumps up. From there on it's rural-highway-rural-highway :(

Chris D. 04-06-2008 01:14 AM

mine was all 100% city stop and go, light timing, coasting, cool down, start up, cycle, ect..

I think I had 4 or 5 cool down cycle periods on this tank..

trebuchet03 04-06-2008 01:16 AM

If it's going to, It'll even out on your next fill ;)

mileage is mileage when accounted for over time.

elhigh 04-06-2008 08:54 AM

I fill my tank until I hear fuel climbing up into the filler neck. Then I click the pump until squeezing the handle gives only clicks: that suggests the filler nozzle is actually in the fuel. They're all about the same length, so that means I'm filling to about the same spot, every time.

A slight aside on instrumentation, Why The Heck do I see more automatics with tachos than manuals? I can't swear this is typical, but it seemed to me that when we were shopping for cars, if you wanted to stir the gears yourself you didn't deserve to know your engine speed. What's up with that?

LostCause 04-06-2008 06:00 PM

My guess is that in the United States, low-end cars are usually manuals. Low-end cars are the ones that have corners cut in their manufacture (no radios, tachometers, side mirrors, etc.). I can't imagine a tachometer costing that much, but I guess a penny saved is a penny earned...

- LostCause

cbergeron 04-06-2008 06:11 PM

I'm thinking about reducing the size of my tank. I figure that not carrying around all that extra weight can't hurt. Granted, I'll be filling up much more often, but that will just help
my mileage log grow, right? ;)

Chris D. 04-06-2008 06:23 PM

Why was my post edited/altered without my knowledge? (title)

Lazarus 04-06-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbergeron (Post 18197)
I'm thinking about reducing the size of my tank. I figure that not carrying around all that extra weight can't hurt. Granted, I'll be filling up much more often, but that will just help
my mileage log grow, right? ;)

Just put in less. I've experimented with this and saw no appreciable increase in MPG's with a 16 gallon tank filling to 5 gallons for several tanks with the SG(Scan Gauge) YMMV(Your Mileage may Very):)