EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Millennials or just young ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/millennials-just-young-37334.html)

All Darc 03-14-2019 12:34 AM

Millennials or just young ?

Interesting video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTXECRCQTno

freebeard 03-14-2019 01:14 AM

Makes me hungry for avocado on toast. :)

'Politically correct' is an oxymoron.

I heard from Tim Pool that Generation Z is now to be known as Zoomers.

All Darc 03-14-2019 01:21 AM

I will check this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCQ-giZOxg

And ask you what uncle Jordan says about millennials
:-)

Stubby79 03-14-2019 10:23 AM

When it comes to drivers, it's the really old ones I discriminate against...since they're almost always the ones who blindly attempt to take me and my car out.

All Darc 03-14-2019 10:34 AM

Well, in a forum with so many uncle Jordan's fan I was imagining more people would make critics against millennials. After all, most Jordan's critics fits to millennials behavior.
He hated the Gillette add, and honestly there was nothing wrong with such add itself. The only problem is that a add pointing the girls's bad behavior is missing, since both genders can be evil when get power. Girls gossip, use sexuality to manipulate and are bully towards other girls (cannibals).

What I notice is that older generations are selfish to judge. They forget all the crap they did in their teens and 20's, and place their generation as a standart and their bullsh...t/mistakes as ok, like only criticising who would made something worse than them. I call it Self Indulgence Syndrome.
Other times the olders even criticise some better behavior of youth, like when calling then weak, not masculine enogh, in a attempt to don't accept they was rude or bully in their past.
Maybe it's something from nature, neural and freudian, since olders know the youth will take their place, like in savage nature the olders are replaced when can't defeat the youths anymore, and so they fear the youth.

A question: Is avocado expensvie on USA?

5 dollars coffee? I heard most USA cofee (not the very expensive ones) are watery and bad taste. On Brazil one of the few good things is coffee, despite the best grains usually go to exportation, but the good coffees here don't cost so much.

redpoint5 03-14-2019 12:13 PM

I don't follow Jordan fans because I'm in not in need of approval or family identity. Who cares what Jordan fans say anyhow? What's to say that a few of those fans that speak loudly represent his admirers as a group? Characterizing everyone based on the words or deeds of a few commits the same logical error that the far left makes.

Further, Peterson does not represent the far right. If anything, he falls barely right of center. Merely opposing an extreme position does not automatically make you the opposite of that extreme position. For instance, if I oppose the death penalty, it doesn't mean I want there to be no consequences for heinous crimes.

Yes, avocados are very expensive in the US. There must be some sort of cartel. They cost $1 each when on sale. Maybe $1.50-$2.00 when not on sale. In South America I can buy a whole bag of them for $2. It's one of the things that my wife buys that annoys me. They cost too much, then we end up only eating half of it and it goes bad.

$5 coffee is for things like expresso or mochas. A regular coffee is probably $2-3. They taste good to me. Better than the cheap swill I brew. I don't buy coffee at cafes though because it costs too much.

All Darc 03-14-2019 06:53 PM

Well, when I did some comments in this forum I got a lot of members quotes took from Jordan Peterson book.
What I mean is that if the forum have so much people who likes uncle Jordan, there should be some people that don't like millennials, since uncle Jordan complain a lot about things that are often attributed to millennials.

Anyway I judge individuals and not generation. By the way I didn't liked my generation when I was a teen. I feel like most were animals. For me it's weird how people are geographic accidents, being just the result of the culture, values and usual thoughts from where they were raised.

https://img.elo7.com.br/product/main...com-gaveta.jpg

redpoint5 03-14-2019 07:06 PM

I've not read Peterson's books, and besides you and freebeard, don't know anyone else that has mentioned Peterson.

I don't think I've heard Peterson say anything about Millennials, but that doesn't mean he hasn't said something. If he has, I'd be curious to know what it was.

His focus is on personal responsibility and opposing bad ideas, not opposing groups of people. He does generalize when he refers to"the radical left" or "the radical right".

I never really fit in with my peers either growing up. In some ways certain juvenile behavior has never appealed to me, and in other ways (adventure and risk taking) I'm more juvenile than most.

freebeard 03-15-2019 12:50 AM

I'm pretty sure he's the one that brought it up.

Quote:

What I mean is that if the forum have so much people who likes uncle Jordan, there should be some people that don't like millennials, since uncle Jordan complain a lot about things that are often attributed to millennials.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...7wbo1_1280.jpg
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/stop-...at-i-dont-like

jamesqf 03-15-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 593644)
Well, in a forum with so many uncle Jordan's fan...

I have no idea who "uncle Jorder" is. Had never heard of him until I read this post.

Quote:

A question: Is avocado expensvie on USA?
Compared to what? They're a tropical fruit that AFAIK doesn't ship very well (unlike bananas), so naturally they're going to cost more than something that can be grown locally.

Quote:

5 dollars coffee? I heard most USA cofee (not the very expensive ones) are watery and bad taste. On Brazil one of the few good things is coffee, despite the best grains usually go to exportation, but the good coffees here don't cost so much.
Coffee is not supposed to taste good, it's supposed to wake you up. I've no doubt you could easily pay $5 or more in a fancy coffee place, but you're paying for the experience, not the coffee. OTOH a ~1 kg can of store-brand ground coffee costs about $6-7, and makes my daily 2-3 cups for a couple of months.

Fat Charlie 03-15-2019 03:55 PM

Anything that makes you somewhat alert in the morning tastes great.

freebeard 03-15-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Anything that makes you somewhat alert in the morning tastes great.
Which is why Scott Adams' 'simultaneous sip' is a brilliant branding move.

Quote:

OTOH a ~1 kg can of store-brand ground coffee costs about $6-7, and makes my daily 2-3 cups for a couple of months.
:thumbup: My son uses Keurig K-cup pods. I think it's an extravagance.

redpoint5 03-15-2019 04:41 PM

An extravagance of poor taste, too. But then I'm not one to say people can't like the things they like.

All Darc 03-15-2019 05:00 PM

I wonder what would affect USA people more.

-A suddenly vanish of all cocain in the world?
-Or a suddenly vanish of all coffee in the world?

People think a avocado (healthy and last a day or so) for 1$ a piece it's expensive, but think a couple coffee as 1,5$ or 2$, with bad taste and many couples per day, it's ok.
In this point I think millennials are right, at least the ones who don't drink coffee.

If you only really wake-up after a huge coffee, you are addicted to cafein.

redpoint5 03-15-2019 06:51 PM

Coffee by far. It's sold in much higher volume than Cocaine. Most everyone I know drinks coffee, and nobody I associate uses cocaine.

I don't drink expensive coffee. I buy 2 kg for about $15 and it lasts me months. Avocados are too expensive. Hopefully global warming will shift the growing climate to where I live.

freebeard 03-15-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

An extravagance of poor taste, too. But then I'm not one to say people can't like the things they like.
[that was thumbup to the buying in bulk, not the keurig recycling nightmare.]

I tried to raise him right. But when he was growing up he rode around in this:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...4-11-26-01.png
but now he rides around in this:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...er-main-05.jpg

Ecky 03-15-2019 07:07 PM

I personally drink decaf. Am I allowed to enjoy coffee, even if it doesn't wake me up?

redpoint5 03-15-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 593765)
I personally drink decaf. Am I allowed to enjoy coffee, even if it doesn't wake me up?

Sure, but I'll make fun of you for it. ;)

My wife likes LaCroix, and I told her it's the French word for "nothing".

We all partake in pointless activities though.

freebeard 03-15-2019 09:27 PM

I drink a pot of coffee each morning and still have chronic fatigue. Am I doing it wrong?

Ecky 03-15-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 593775)
I drink a pot of coffee each morning and still have chronic fatigue. Am I doing it wrong?

I can't say it's definitely related but every time I start drinking caff again, for the first few days I feel great, and then I seem to develop a lot of fatigue. That's the main reason I stay away from it.

Fat Charlie 03-16-2019 08:11 AM

I use it to treat sleep apnea.

Ecky 03-16-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 593790)
I use it to treat sleep apnea.

No apnea if you don't sleep?

Fat Charlie 03-16-2019 08:26 AM

Basically.

All Darc 03-16-2019 11:09 AM

Redpoint, coffe made in home can be affordable, but most americans also buy a lot of couple coffee on streets, in cafeterias, and more than 1 or two per day.

All Darc 03-16-2019 11:14 AM

You need to check if it's real chronic fatigue. or just indisposition or be tired, since chronic fatigue it's serious and require treatment.
Sometimes it can be depression, some illness, some nutrition problem, glycemic problem or even systemic disease autoimmuni.

In some cases you have problem with sleep despite you sleep when go to bed, since there are cycles in sleep, and maybe the important one it's not ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 593775)

freebeard 03-16-2019 02:07 PM

I was quizzed about my health on Monday. They said "Sleep apnea?" and I said "How would I know?"

What I think it is, is existential anomie.

jamesqf 03-16-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 593753)
If you only really wake-up after a huge coffee, you are addicted to cafein.

Nope. There were years - probably decades - of my life when I didn't drink coffee at all, 'cause I didn't like the taste*, and had the same not fully awake until lunchtime thing that I have now, sans coffee.

*Even now, I mix it with hot chocolate to make it palatable.

freebeard 03-16-2019 04:25 PM

I didn't drink coffee my entire working life because I didn't want the dependency I saw all around me.

When I couldn't get work (I stopped looking*) I adopted the habit and found out that it's ineffectual in my case.

*The unemployment rate was higher those entire 50 years compared with today. :(

All Darc 03-16-2019 07:14 PM

Coffee shortage scenario :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbv5B71KmkA

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-17-2019 11:24 PM

Young folks usually do something dumb, but I doubt any older generation was nearly as dumb as some millenials.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 593764)
I tried to raise him right. But when he was growing up he rode around in this:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...4-11-26-01.png
but now he rides around in this:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...er-main-05.jpg

Well, both are cool in their own way. I like the Beetle's concept because of its off-road ability and ease of servicing, but it doesn't lead me to hate American land yachts (even though a Beetle might remain more practical for me due to its size)...

Fat Charlie 03-18-2019 09:21 AM

Every generation is just as dumb as others. Modern technology just gives people new and exciting ways to explore their stupidity and makes sure we all hear about it.

Natalya 03-18-2019 10:06 AM

I don't know why avocados on toast is a meme used to insult millennials.

When you go to the grocery store in the USA and you look at the avocado section you are probably buying a Hass Avocado. Hass avocados are grown in California, which is part of the USA, so they don't have to go through customs or some other dumb process to get here. Hass trees produce year-round, it's not particularly difficult to grow.

Avocados are high in healthy fats, low in carbs, and they have a few other vitamins in them. They also taste good. You should try a sandwich on a toasted roll//bun with avocado, tomato, a fried egg, and cheese. Add spicy mustard for bonus points.

They aren't even that expensive. A $ per avocado isn't a lot when you consider the nutritional quality and weight of the edible portion. And usually you can get them for cheaper than that.

All Darc 03-18-2019 11:52 AM

I agree. Avocados are great. Chlorophyll rich, good fats, vitamins...
People pay more for ice creams and couple coffee on street, and then come to complain about more people of a given generation eat avocado and don't drink beer.
The old silly stupid idea that a man is more man if drink.

Others complain about they are not John Wayne style, like they denunce bullying. But the world would be better without tough guys, without drunk guys.

The relevant complain I see it's about selfish and egocentrism. But this is the result of the parenthood they got. If they don't want marriage it's probably because their parents had terrible marriages and as result a bad influence over the kids.

In my country sadly alcohol abuse still rises among young people. Alcoholism among young women growth a lot, for example. Industry used/exploited women, promoting alcohol as female emancipation, just to get rich.
Equally bad for man... Homicides are direct connected with alcohol, since 50% of killers and 50% homicide victmis were drunk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalya (Post 593916)
I don't know why avocados on toast is a meme used to insult millennials.

When you go to the grocery store in the USA and you look at the avocado section you are probably buying a Hass Avocado. Hass avocados are grown in California, which is part of the USA, so they don't have to go through customs or some other dumb process to get here. Hass trees produce year-round, it's not particularly difficult to grow.

Avocados are high in healthy fats, low in carbs, and they have a few other vitamins in them. They also taste good. You should try a sandwich on a toasted roll//bun with avocado, tomato, a fried egg, and cheese. Add spicy mustard for bonus points.

They aren't even that expensive. A $ per avocado isn't a lot when you consider the nutritional quality and weight of the edible portion. And usually you can get them for cheaper than that.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-19-2019 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 593924)
The old silly stupid idea that a man is more man if drink.

Drinking some beers once in a while is not too bad, but I prefer to not do it when my stomach is empty, I'd rather get the beer either after a meal or while I eat it. Getting drunk only for the sake of it is pointless.

Quote:

In my country sadly alcohol abuse still rises among young people.
Makes me remind my school days. Most of my colleagues abused on alcohol. Well, I must confess I also did it a few times, mostly while I was involved in other activities, not only for the sake of binge-drinking.

Quote:

Alcoholism among young women growth a lot, for example. Industry used/exploited women, promoting alcohol as female emancipation, just to get rich.
This and that fat-positivity BS are a long-term harm for womens' health. It won't surprise me when young women start to die more frequently from liver failure than over-40 ones die from breast cancer.

All Darc 03-19-2019 11:34 AM

I will give a example, and I'm not being sexist since I consider also as silly for men.

I spent some time under physiotherapy treatment and could see how was the girls from this heath field. Most young physiotherapist drink, and some drink a lot. All make fun of other colegues get very drunk in graduation and could possible end in hospital. In the birthday one a colleague a group of girls made a "tequila game" for her, where they made question and for each wrong answer the colleague had to take a shot of tequila. She was left practically drunk mand the other girls didn't even took her to home, and she had to took a bus to go home.

I wonder what feminists would say if a group of male physiotherapists had made the same tequila game with a female physiotherapist, and let her alone to take a bus for home after practically drunk.

jamesqf 03-19-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 593924)
Others complain about they are not John Wayne style, like they denunce bullying. But the world would be better without tough guys, without drunk guys.

You need to remember that there are guys that brag about being tough, and then there are those who actually are tough. Not a whole lot of overlap. And not a lot of bullies in the second group.

All Darc 03-19-2019 03:09 PM

Interesting... I refer as tough guys more to the kind of trouble makers agressive ones.
Most violent people in reality are emotionally insecure people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 594029)
You need to remember that there are guys that brag about being tough, and then there are those who actually are tough. Not a whole lot of overlap. And not a lot of bullies in the second group.

JSH 03-19-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 593795)
Redpoint, coffe made in home can be affordable, but most americans also buy a lot of couple coffee on streets, in cafeterias, and more than 1 or two per day.

Most Americans do not buy more than 1-2 coffees per day. The real USA is not what you see on TV.

A few people I work with go to the coffee bar a couple times a day. Most of us drink the free coffee.

Xist 03-21-2019 12:00 AM

The first reference I saw to avocados and toast was Warren Buffet telling snake people to stop. Theoretically he argued it kept them poor. People acted like it just showed how out-of-touch Buffet is.

Frank Lee 03-21-2019 12:46 AM

When I see criticisms of millennials or x group of youngsters I think, well, WHO RAISED THEM? It is usually the generation doing the *****ing. :rolleyes: