EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   which mod gained most efficiency? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mod-gained-most-efficiency-19540.html)

camry25 11-20-2011 07:46 PM

which mod gained most efficiency?

Aside from aerocivic or non-daily drivable configuration, whose modification has saved the most gas? (I am new here)

CigaR007 11-20-2011 07:51 PM

The driver ! ;)

Aside from that, while keeping it simple, I would say increasing tire pressure, grille block and wheel covers.

Sven7 11-20-2011 08:24 PM

Driver, and possibly boat tail? I think a boat tail probably does more than any other mod by itself. Maybe belly pan though.

Read this:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...ifications.php

SentraSE-R 11-20-2011 08:48 PM

For me, it was setting the cruise control down 10-15 mph. My fuel economy rose from 26 mpg @ 72 mph to 33-34 mpg @ 62 mph & 38 mpg @ 55 mph.

redyaris 11-20-2011 09:26 PM

Take a look on the home page at the 90 day gas car top ten list and you will see that the number one is done mostly by hypermiling the number two is done primerily by aeromodding.

Cd 11-20-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camry25 (Post 271202)
Aside from aerocivic or non-daily drivable configuration, whose modification has saved the most gas? (I am new here)

I was the first to post on this question and had a list going until i re-read the question. If I understand right, the question is not how to get better FE, but whose modification has saved the most gas. :thumbup:

The first thing that comes to my mind is MetroMPG's alternator delete mod. , but I'm not sure if that falls outside the " non-daily drivable configuration ".

Sven7 11-20-2011 11:44 PM

Well it really depends on what kind of driving you're doing as well. With longer distances and higher speeds, aero mods will make a big difference. With more suburban or city driving though, weight reduction and kill switches that sort of stuff will be more important.

Personally I do mostly freeway driving and put more of an emphasis on slippery aero. However the car is also pretty well stripped out for weight. Trying for best of both worlds.

Of course on an auto you can't be EOC'ing anyway.

California98Civic 11-21-2011 12:03 AM

It all depends on the car. For me, hypermiling is most of the gain. But after that, single mods that seemed to produce noticeable gains included: power steering delete, A/C delete, alternator delete, injector kill-switch, airdam, tire-pressure increase, and 10% curb weight reduction. But the ones I noticed most were the airdam, the power steering, the alt delete, and the tire pressure. Numerous smaller things were not that significant as far as I could tell, and some I have reversed.

jime57 11-21-2011 09:43 AM

Front undertray is worthwhile, but since you have a Camray you probably already have an effective one. Grill blocks on average report about 3%, but in LA you probably can't use much blocking. Mirror deletions have shown an average improvement of around 3%, but it would be suicidal to delete any mirrors in LA traffic.

In your situation, I'd vote for max sidewall tire pressures, driving as slow as you can without getting run over, and general application of hypermiling techniques. Coasting ICE-off and shutting engine off at long lights make a big improvement. (I have ignored Toyota's warning about coasting automatics for a number of years now, with no ill effects - your experience might differ. Be aware that if you shut the engine off, you only have one or two power brake applications available before the pressure is depleted, and you will have to steer without power assist. Try it in a parking lot first.) On your longer flat sections, cruise control will probably help. As I recall, many or the roads a pretty flat.

Replacing your car with a Prius, tailor made for this type of driving, would make a big difference, but would take a long time to offset the cost ;-)

66sprint6 11-21-2011 10:36 AM

Ive only done tire pressure and changed my driving and Ive already done better than I ever woulda thought possible, but like some have already said, it all depends on your vehicle and the specifics of your daily commute. Have fun with it and do what you can.
Matt