EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   Montreal - SMCC Economy Run #5 - June 7th, 2014 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/montreal-smcc-economy-run-5-june-7th-2014-a-28278.html)

nerdboy 02-24-2014 09:41 PM

Montreal - SMCC Economy Run #5 - June 7th, 2014

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...Banner2010.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR THE FLYER WITH ALL THE INFO

Celebrating the 5th anniversary of the revived SMCC Montreal Economy Run! This event is about balancing a spirited drive on interesting roads with fuel economy. Not an easy challenge! We've beat the course record every year, and we hope to again beat the 2.92L/100km brute and 3.15L/100km time-penalized record set by a diesel Smart last year.

There's a shortened 138km route for electric vehicles, and it would be great to see some participate this year too!

The event runs alongside the F1 weekend in Montreal, and it's possible to catch the action. We can help out with accommodations for those coming from out of town.

Hope you can make it and can't wait to see the entry list and mods!

* * * 2014 Results * * *

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2014.png

2013 Results

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2013.png

2012 Results

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2012.png

echo-francis 02-24-2014 10:15 PM

I Will try to do my best this year. And not get lost like last year :o

blownb310 03-02-2014 08:43 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps504a45df.jpg

My intentions are to enter with my 2013 Honda Fit EV and be the first EV to participate. Hopefully there will be others as well. Sorry I missed last year Jeff. I only had my EV for a week then and wasn't yet ready to drive it internationally, but I am now. :)

2000neon 03-02-2014 08:47 PM

That's a great view in that picture, where is that?

I have the best intentions of making it this year, but life seems to always find a way to kick my butt in the week leading to all the cool events. Sparing any issues, I'd like to come in my VX Civic.

blownb310 03-10-2014 12:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason, I no longer get email notifications when a reply is posted.

That picture was taken during an all-EV outing to the top of Mt. Greylock, the highest point in MA last September. We had two Honda Fit EV's, two Nissan Leafs, and one Smart ED [Electric Drive].

HyperMileQC 03-11-2014 12:20 AM

Would be very nice if you come blownb310 and 2000neon.

I will come this year again with my 2000 Insight but I will be echo-francis' copilot in the Echo. :thumbup:

Can't wait until June... :D

blownb310 04-19-2014 05:54 PM

I have just sent my former SMCC Economy Run navigator [David] an email asking if he will ride along side me again this year. After missing last year's event, I'm getting excited for this year's.

Mike

CaptainRusty 04-27-2014 11:25 PM

Been eying those economy runs for the past 2 years, but this year, I think will be the one that I will be attending. Especially since it is soooo close to where I live. A few KMs away actually. Probably 1.5 liters away. (quick! do the math!)

Tomorrow, I should be in possession of my new (to me) 2007 Honda Fit Sport MT. Although I stand no chance at winning, it will be still be an enjoyable eye-opener to what I can and cannot do with my new car in terms of consumption and a chance to meet cool, like-minded people! :)

I was reading the previous year threads and some people were looking for a place to pitch a tent. If anybody needs a place to pitch their tent this year, I am in Laval (north shore) a few minutes away from Montreal, but still on the north shore. I have a decent sized lot for pitching up a few tents.

A bientot!

HyperMileQC 04-28-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRusty (Post 421889)
I am in Laval (north shore) a few minutes away from Montreal...
A bientot!

Where are you in Laval? Echo-Francis is in Fabreville and I am in Sainte-Rose.

J'ai hâte en maudit! :thumbup:

CaptainRusty 04-28-2014 01:11 PM

Chomedey! Not very far at all...

blownb310 05-04-2014 05:57 PM

Latest word on the alternative fuel side of this event is that one of the guys from the Smart Club will enter a Chevy Volt this year. Also, the guy who competed with the Prius-C last year intends to come back. So along with my EV, we can expect a more varied lineup of vehicles this time around. :)

CaptainRusty 05-04-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownb310 (Post 423056)
Latest word on the alternative fuel side of this event is that one of the guys from the Smart Club will enter a Chevy Volt this year. Also, the guy who competed with the Prius-C last year intends to come back. So along with my EV, we can expect a more varied lineup of vehicles this time around. :)

Are you going to be competing with your Honda Fit EV? If that is the case, can't wait to see it! :)

blownb310 05-04-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRusty (Post 423086)
Are you going to be competing with your Honda Fit EV? If that is the case, can't wait to see it! :)

Thank you, yes that is the plan. The only thing that would keep me from driving it all the way up is if the weekend was a rain out. I am taking the Friday before the event off from work to travel the 250 or so miles to Montreal. I have to charge at least twice to get there. While charging 2.5 hours at each stop, I take out my folding bicycle and tour the areas. I need dry weather to do this.

blownb310 05-10-2014 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if the LeCircuit Electrique chargers have a display that tells how many kWh's were consumed during a charge? Our Chargepoint chargers in the US will log exactly when and where you charged, and tell you how much power was consumed. If the LeCircuit Electrique chargers don't have this capability, then EV's can't measure how much current they used during the Economy Run.

blownb310 05-11-2014 09:16 PM

I asked the same question in the Canadian section of the Tesla forum and got this reply:

"When the session is terminated, they send you an email telling you how much energy came out of the wall. You can also login to your account and view this information. However, until they get a mobile app, you will not be able to have this data in real-time, during a session."

That's great news otherwise there would have been no point in participating if we could not measure the energy consumed.

2000neon 05-12-2014 10:38 AM

This event is coming up fast, I'm trying to recruit a navigator. There's a race event I'm hoping to make right around the same time and as long as theres no conflicting times, I will be there. I would need to find a place to stay the night before, I've got 650kms between me and Montreal!

2000neon 05-15-2014 12:25 PM

I've got a navigator and a clear schedule so I will be there, :thumbup:
I just need to figure out a place to stay the night before, from those who have done it in the past, what are some options?

MetroMPG 05-18-2014 07:06 PM

I missed last year, but I'm in for 2014!

(Dibs on floor space, Jeff? :D You doing that again?)

Sounds like it's going to be a good EcoModder meet-up, too.

MetroMPG 05-18-2014 07:17 PM

route map?

From last year...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdboy (Post 375508)
In any case, the route is well known and can be used for benchmarking anytime.

Will it be the same route for 2014? Is it possible to view a map to refresh my memory? :)

Wonderboy 05-20-2014 12:16 AM

Darin doesn't have the heart to trash talk, but I'm playing the Larry Bird role of our team (and the event). 'Murricans have to be good for something, and if it's trash talking - so be it. The international team is returning this year to clean up again and make sure people still know what's up. Smarters and Kamm, I'm looking at you. :P

blownb310 05-20-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderboy (Post 425214)
The international team is returning this year to clean up again and make sure people still know what's up. Smarters and Kamm, I'm looking at you. :P

:D Ha ha, thanks Will. It's great to hear that you and Darin will be making a comeback this year. The only thing I can guaranty is that I will be using less gasoline than anyone else there! :p

blownb310 05-20-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 425032)
From last year...

Will it be the same route for 2014? Is it possible to view a map to refresh my memory? :)

It's always the same route Darin. That makes direct comparisons from prior years possible.

Jeff has prepared a shortened route of 70 miles for the EV's though. I don't have any copies of the route instructions from prior year's events. David, my navigator always kept them.

Mike

MetroMPG 05-20-2014 08:43 AM

Route instructions: I chucked mine. :D

Want to refresh my memory!

nerdboy 05-24-2014 04:01 PM

We're getting close to the date and I'm excited about this year's competition and vehicle roster!

YES, we will use the same route as in previous years unless there are any detours. :rolleyes: I intend to check the route sometime this week.

YES, Team America and that guy from the Thousand Islands (which is pretty close to 'Murrica anyway) are welcome to stay in the chocolate factory as usual. :)

YES, I will be running the Levin yet again this year unless I can get Tesla to loan a car (I had a nice meeting with them in Ottawa this week).

If you're planning to attend, please sign up here with the following format: (Year Make Model) DriverName & CodriverName

blownb310 05-24-2014 06:18 PM

Thanks Jeff. Celine and I are all signed up. :)

I hope you can get a Tesla. That would be outstanding!

Mike

MetroMPG 05-24-2014 06:35 PM

Merci encore, Jeff!

So I don't suppose I can get the old route instructions? I HAD THEM! I cleaned house and they went in the blue box.

nerdboy 05-28-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 426060)
So I don't suppose I can get the old route instructions? I HAD THEM! I cleaned house and they went in the blue box.

It's on my todo list, I just don't have a copy on the computer I'm using at the moment...

A few Smarts are signed up and will be looking to defend their title. And if the weather permits (as it always has to date) we'll likely have a T-Rex shadowing the pack to see what kind of numbers that beast can pull in. :)

blownb310 05-28-2014 08:00 AM

Interesting, but what's a T-Rex Jeff?

MetroMPG 05-28-2014 08:50 AM

Mike:

http://www.campagnamotors.com/images...nce-p-side.jpg

Campagna Motors T-REX and V13R the Original 3 wheeler.

Jeff: merci, monsieur. You are too kind.

nerdboy 06-02-2014 10:30 PM

Route checked!

Went out and checked the route yesterday. Very happy to report that there are no detours this year and there's a fair bit of the rougher asphalt that has been resurfaced. :)

I completely disregarded fuel economy and had an absolute blast. Will try to bring my A-game on Saturday, although I'm not sure I'll mount the chin spoiler or make any significant mods. Can't wait! Downtown is already transforming itself in anticipation of the F1 Grand Prix...

blownb310 06-02-2014 10:47 PM

Thank you Jeff! I hope we can take a walk downtown to the F1 Street festival again this year. That was excellent. Here are a few of Will's pics from 2010 again for inspiration. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/DSC03470.jpg
The colorful F1 weekend street fair downtown. Live bands were abound creating an energetic atmosphere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/DSC03480.jpg
Cool compact car classics were one of the many features of the evening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/DSC03482.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/DSC03466.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/DSC03487.jpg
Team Ecomodder

2000neon 06-02-2014 11:35 PM

Unfortunately I wont be out with my VX :( Having a pretty rough time lately with some personal stuff, not to mention my navigator bailed, and the car went backwards into a wall on a highway on ramp last week. No structural concerns thankfully, but as far as appearance it leaves a lot to be desired. Overall, I think I've seen all the signs to just take a weekend off. Hopefully I'll have better luck next year. Best of luck to everyone going!

MetroMPG 06-03-2014 07:15 AM

2000neon: bummer on several counts. Sounds like you could use some downtime!

Jeff: thanks for pre-running the course! I like the sounds of "rougher asphalt that has been resurfaced". :D

CaptainRusty 06-03-2014 09:02 PM

Tried finding a co-pilot for the event, but no one in my surrounding is interest in participating in an economy rally. They don't see the point. LOL. I was wondering, is it really necessary to have a co-pilot? I'd love to participate, but at this point looks like I'll be driving solo.

blownb310 06-03-2014 10:41 PM

I'd say that if you had the route in advance and programmed it into a higher end GPS unit [my cheap Tom Tom doesn't have that capability], you could do it.

nerdboy 06-04-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainRusty (Post 427873)
Tried finding a co-pilot for the event, but no one in my surrounding is interest in participating in an economy rally. They don't see the point. LOL. I was wondering, is it really necessary to have a co-pilot? I'd love to participate, but at this point looks like I'll be driving solo.

I have a copilot for you. Sending PM...

nerdboy 06-04-2014 01:51 PM

MetroMPG and Wonderboy, shoot me an e-mail and let me know your travel plans for the weekend. Are you coming up on Friday night like blownb310?

echo-francis 06-04-2014 04:53 PM

I hope the Nice and hot weather bring more people then last year :)

CigaR007 06-04-2014 07:49 PM

Hey guys!

Been away for a while. I will try to join this year. Been a while since the last time I participated!

sheepdog 44 06-04-2014 07:56 PM

My cheap tom tom does way points. It's not the most obvious option, you may have to search through the menu's. This sounds like the year to beat! Wish i could make it, but passports on short notice are expensive. Please take lots of pictures for us or maybe a dash cam video! I'd love to see some sweet Canadian market only cars. Mmmmm Electric cars and Diesel Fortwo's.... :)