EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   More EPA slight of hand. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/more-epa-slight-hand-28973.html)

nemo 05-17-2014 11:44 AM

More EPA slight of hand.

Quote:

A federal requirement for South Florida gas stations to sell cleaner gasoline over the summer will be waived this year.
Improved air quality allows clean-gas rule to be dropped - Sun Sentinel

Guide on State Summer RVP Standards | Fuels and Fuel Additives | US EPA

Wonder what the effect on FE will be.

redpoint5 05-17-2014 12:32 PM

Evaporative emissions are less of a problem nowadays. Fuel systems in modern vehicles are sealed, and the computer warns the driver when a leak is detected. Further, many counties require DEQ checks which include the requirement that the vehicle not have any leaks in the fuel system.

Gas cans are even required to be sealed. I remember as a kid having metal cas cans with an unsealed metal spout. All gas cans sold now are sealed up, and I don't have a single old can anymore that is open to the air.

I'm also curious what the allowance of the regular fuel will do for fuel economy.

gone-ot 05-17-2014 06:23 PM

Originally, gasoline here in Phoenix and Tucson (EPA-declared "smog" areas!) had to use E10 gasoline year-around...but, now, it's been relaxed to "...up to 10% ethanol..." year-around, so the actual amount of ethanol varies.

nemo 05-17-2014 08:30 PM

If the cleaner gasoline was doing its job and it's only 7 cents a gallon more at wholesale why not use it everywhere?

gone-ot 05-17-2014 08:37 PM

...because not everywhere has BAD air...and most of those places that do, it's more often due to geophysical (basin) characteristics and weather (inversions), and NOT always cars and hydrocarbon emissions!

For example, EPA keeps beating AZ up about it's DUST storms as if the residents are responsible for (a) blowing winds, (b) desert sands, and (c) weather conditions causing those winds! Duh!

oil pan 4 05-17-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 424826)

Wonder what the effect on FE will be.

FE better and the gasoline its self will be cheaper.
Sounds like they will be able to leave more butane in gasoline.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-18-2014 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 424911)
EPA keeps beating AZ up about it's DUST storms as if the residents are responsible for (a) blowing winds, (b) desert sands, and (c) weather conditions causing those winds! Duh!

That's so pointless that it even becomes hilarious...

nemo 05-18-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 424928)
FE better and the gasoline its self will be cheaper.
Sounds like they will be able to leave more butane in gasoline.

Don't see how 7 cents a gallon wholesale is going to make a big difference in price.

jamesqf 05-18-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

For example, EPA keeps beating AZ up about it's DUST storms as if the residents are responsible for (a) blowing winds, (b) desert sands, and (c) weather conditions causing those winds! Duh!

Don't know about Arizona, but hereabouts, if you look you'll find that much of the dust comes off of areas where the soil has been disturbed by human activity. If the land has a good covering of sagebrush &c, that holds the soil in place and keeps much of the wind from even reaching the surface.

Xist 05-18-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

EPA keeps beating AZ up about it's DUST storms as if the residents are responsible for (a) blowing winds, (b) desert sands, and (c) weather conditions causing those winds! Duh!

No, sorry, that is me.

I have a problem.