EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   More Smart car publicity (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/more-smart-car-publicity-974.html)

Lazarus 02-09-2008 07:38 PM

More Smart car publicity

Had an article on the smart car today in the local paper. Man When I first saw these I really wanted one. Now the more that comes out the less I like em. They have really ruined the US version. According to this article EPA is 33/41 with premium gas. That's total unacceptable in my book even if it is 12,000. Diesel would of been so easy:(

Quote:

I'm a little disappointed in this," Fairchild said, pointing to the sticker on the windshield that claims the car gets 33 city miles per gallon by EPA standards. By comparison, an automatic Honda Civic gets 25 city miles to the gallon. "The European version got about 70 miles per gallon, but that's because it was a diesel."

NoCO2 02-09-2008 08:24 PM

It's really too bad that manufacturers aren't even willing to special order diesels for customers on cars that are offered in Europe with diesel engines. I know it's because they feel it won't sell here and don't want to risk it (most likely) but if they just did the whole "diesel engine option" I think they would realize it may be more popular then they think, especially if people saw that they got 70mpg.

cfg83 02-10-2008 01:10 AM

Hello -

I am also guessing that the Diesel option would not be USA emissions legal (yet). If they only offered a true manual tranny, I think we would be off and running.

Here's a question. I used to think that you could import "boutique" cars, aka cars in volumes less than "X" 1000, and be able to bypass some US crash/emissions laws. Is that still true? If yes, then maybe Smart Diesels could have a unit volume sales limit.

CarloSW2

budomove 02-10-2008 01:16 AM

I saw a couple in a smart convertible with the top down at a stop sign out in western central jersey last weekend. They were both smiling wildly, but i guess it had nothing to do with their gas mileage.

Peakster 02-10-2008 01:40 AM

I don't understand why the smart's 3 cylinder diesel power-plant would not pass emissions. VW's diesel engines in Golfs and Jettas are much larger and they seem to be fine.

budomove 02-10-2008 02:18 AM

vw temporarily discontinued the tdi for that exact reason, they wouldn't pass the new regulations. Their catalysts will be improved, and capable of dealing with low sulfur fuel. :)

Ryland 02-10-2008 03:11 PM

when I've read articals about test drives of vehicles like the lupo, they said that the only fuel that they would run on that you could get in the US was bio-diesel, because even our new low sulpher diesel fuel is to dirty for their catolitic converters, simaler to how you can't sell an amarican made car in China or more other countries because the're MPG standards are to high.

hondaworkshop 02-11-2008 08:39 AM

All I can say is if they bring the Smart Roadster to the US, I'll have to break my vow to never buy cars new.

bennelson 02-11-2008 09:27 AM

We really need to look at how we view fuels too.

Neither Bio-diesel or straight vegatable oil have any sulpher in them.

Ethanol burns very clean (just make it from something other than corn)

There are all sorts of diesel generators around that seem to be exempt from laws. I have heard that lawm mowers pollute more than cars because they are cheaply made and have no emmissions controls.

budomove 02-11-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 9110)
when I've read articals about test drives of vehicles like the lupo, they said that the only fuel that they would run on that you could get in the US was bio-diesel, because even our new low sulpher diesel fuel is to dirty for their catolitic converters

wowsers. :confused: