EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   mpg drop from steady 32 in summer to 24-26 winter (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpg-drop-steady-32-summer-24-26-winter-30983.html)

johnathanf1lm 01-18-2015 11:26 PM

mpg drop from steady 32 in summer to 24-26 winter

Hi guys ive been working/trying to come up with ways to figure out my mpg loss. Yess it is winter time and yes I do only drive my car 2 miles to work everyday with some highway tripps sometimes/shopping. And saddly yes my accent is a automatic but I am really confused on how I have almost a 30% drop I mean ik im not hitting overdrive since its cold before I get to work etc my driving style has not changed. Im begining to think my car engine is losing efficiency in the cold. I am running full syntactic oil with a partual grill block that I was not running in the summer time. Any ideas I think my o2 senor may be going. Open to any other ideas

digital rules 01-18-2015 11:44 PM

Your car is never even close to warming up in just 2 miles. Cold engine=Rich air/fuel mixture=Lousy economy.

Avoid idling as much as possible, leave the heat mixture on the cold setting (fully counterclockwise) unless the car is fully warmed. A block heater would a lot help if you can use one. Combine trips to minimize cold starts. Keep speed under 50 until engine is fully warmed (lock-up torque converter won't lock on a cold engine)

2000mc 01-19-2015 02:36 AM

Your car is less effiecent when cold, most are. The differences between summer and winter mpg is going to be more noticeable with shorter trips, and in places with a larger temperature change between summer and winter. When I was consistantly running a short commute I saw a similar difference between summer and winter. If you look through fuel logs with a large number of entries, you will see various levels of the effect.

Block heater is probably your best weapon against the effect

Baltothewolf 01-19-2015 03:30 AM

I lose 10 in the winter time, so don't feel bad. I go from 65-70 down to 50-58. But what you are getting is pretty good for such a short commute. You should get a engine blanket, would help a ton.

hamsterpower 01-19-2015 04:58 AM

With only a two mile commute, get a bicycle and a good coat. Thats what I did 7 years ago. Free exercise that is better than coffee to wake you up on the trip in and more free exercise that is great for calming down on the trip home.
And it feels warmer pedaling than sitting in a cold car. Best of all no need to shovel the drive-way before heading out to work.

johnathanf1lm 01-19-2015 05:43 AM

My gf wont be fond of the coat and bike Idea whennit comes to us working the same shift half the times. Ik all about the short trips, idle and warm up stuff it just came as a shock about the mpg. But then again last year in the winter my job was 5 miles away so thats prob why I didnt have this big of a drop last year.

jakobnev 01-19-2015 05:49 AM

"Honey, great news: You get to go shopping for clothes!"

Baltothewolf 01-19-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 464398)
"Honey, great news: You get to go shopping for clothes!"

I think his chances of getting laid that night will all but vanish with that comment.

johnathanf1lm 01-19-2015 08:07 AM

Yeah ill be on the couch with that commit I already have to listen to her complain about how I never have the heat on and me driving slow

NeilBlanchard 01-19-2015 09:23 AM

Turning on the heat in an ICE takes almost no hit on mileage, once the car is warmed up.