EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge-mpguino-fe-computer.html)
-   -   MPGuino colour touch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpguino-colour-touch-37322.html)

abbalooga 03-07-2019 09:56 PM

MPGuino colour touch

**UPDATE: Unit now has configurable MPG or L/100 in settings**
** Has fully functioning Bluetooth with app on the google play store**

http://glengineer.com.au/mpguino.htm

Over the last 5 years I've been running a version of the original MPGuino v0.8 adapted for a colour TFT display. I then adapted the unit to use a touch screen, replacing the long outdated 3 button setup from mpguino version 0.8.

It's been running in 4 separate vehicles seamlessly for over a year now and I think its time to farm out interest in the wild.

https://i.imgur.com/SvsiLD5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kNTLYgk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mubY5um.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/y6VRj03.jpg

Only having a base understanding of coding it took a lot of troubleshooting to get her to work. But with GUI experience as a kid I have since refined and have a very streamlined product that has been stable with a range of different users.

Astute coders will notice the example script used for the circular rainbow effect, which works well for instant mpg display :P

Usability has been refined over the 5 years and I personally have it on a 2004 V8 landcruiser and a 1979 V8 Ford Falcon running a holley efi setup.

Refils have been accurate within 0.5 litres over the 120L fill on the landcruiser, which is a testament to the original MPGuino script.

I am setting up to sell the units, but am after interest or ideas from you guys!

Cheers

abbalooga 03-10-2019 07:29 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ttgcilc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GJJEAeT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v87uxJr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/smMT8ZM.jpg

oldtamiyaphile 03-13-2019 11:47 PM

Good to see people still updating this as it's way more accurate than OBD units.

I'm interested in updating my Guino.

A full break down of screen options would be useful. Maybe easier posted in a video. Like can I change the l/hr screen to l/100? Looking at it now none of the screens are really useful to me.

I use current litres/100, current trip l/100, voltage (I use LiFe batteries) and speed (I sometimes use 'big speed' on long trips as it's easier to read/more accurate than some old style pre-speed camera speedos).

I particularly dislike DTE being at the top, that's not something you should need to check every time you drive. It belongs at the bottom in smaller text.

Will they all be pre-assembled or will you sell kits? Kits might get more units into people's cars sooner.

abbalooga 03-14-2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 593621)
Good to see people still updating this as it's way more accurate than OBD units.

I'm interested in updating my Guino.

A full break down of screen options would be useful. Maybe easier posted in a video. Like can I change the l/hr screen to l/100? Looking at it now none of the screens are really useful to me.

I use current litres/100, current trip l/100, voltage (I use LiFe batteries) and speed (I sometimes use 'big speed' on long trips as it's easier to read/more accurate than some old style pre-speed camera speedos).

I particularly dislike DTE being at the top, that's not something you should need to check every time you drive. It belongs at the bottom in smaller text.

Will they all be pre-assembled or will you sell kits? Kits might get more units into people's cars sooner.

Hey mate,

I appreciate the response! yes, far more accurate than OBD units. Cant beat 0.5% accuracy! the pump at the servo is less accurate than these things, so it's almost impossible to be more accurate anyway

Ok so,
Any configuration can be made on the screens. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.
L/hour turn into L/100kms as soon as speed is detected ;)
The large text screen can display any information on the other screens. Currently there are 5 all up. For some reason I like seeing DTE personally but I can make infinite pages in there with any configuration. Maybe the top 5-6 ideas can remain. It remembers what page (and brightness) is set each time the power is removed so your favourite will always be there when you turn it on.

the only feature that isn't currently in the hardware is the voltage readout. I could add this into a new revision of the board if interest is there.

I am hesitant to offer un assembled boards, as the surface mount ribbon connection is a dam nightmare to hand solder and often produces trouble until done correctly. I would gladly hand them out as kits with a "don't contact me for support" rule :P otherwise full support is of course available for any assembled units

Stubby79 03-14-2019 10:21 AM

Nice work.

oldtamiyaphile 03-19-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbalooga (Post 593634)
L/hour turn into L/100kms as soon as speed is detected ;)

:thumbup: Fords do this factory, but I've not seen it otherwise. It's much better than reading 999 or whatever.

How big is the screen and OA unit?

abbalooga 03-22-2019 05:00 AM

I have voltage readout working :)

Let me know what screens you guys want on each page

abbalooga 03-22-2019 05:00 AM

Also :)

https://youtu.be/qASnNnKxyK4

Video of it working, showing the features I've added

oldtamiyaphile 03-24-2019 07:01 AM

How feasible would it be to custom set fields to order? Or if you're releasing the source code we can change things ourselves -that's probably the ideal senario.

I'd change the triangle of death to something else. Possibly a petrol bowser? It's a bit in your face as it is - if someone borrows your car it might freak them out. What is the variable that controls it (does it learn peak fuel consumption)? Another alternative might be an Ecomodder logo that goes out when you're being naughty.

How is DTE l/100km different from tank 1/100km?

I'd like to see:
Current
Short Trip
Speed

On one of the 3 field screens. I more or less know what I get over a tank so I target 'short trip' always being better that what I got on my last tank. If current is worse than short trip I lift off if I can. Accurate speed is nice as this is going into a car with an analogue speedo (85 Celica).

On one of the detailed screens I'd like:

Speed
Short Trip
DTE or Litres used (kind of one and the same to me)
Tank l/100
Tank ODO
Voltage

abbalooga 03-25-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 594511)
How feasible would it be to custom set fields to order? Or if you're releasing the source code we can change things ourselves -that's probably the ideal senario.

I'd change the triangle of death to something else. Possibly a petrol bowser? It's a bit in your face as it is - if someone borrows your car it might freak them out. What is the variable that controls it (does it learn peak fuel consumption)? Another alternative might be an Ecomodder logo that goes out when you're being naughty.

How is DTE l/100km different from tank 1/100km?

I'd like to see:
Current
Short Trip
Speed

On one of the 3 field screens. I more or less know what I get over a tank so I target 'short trip' always being better that what I got on my last tank. If current is worse than short trip I lift off if I can. Accurate speed is nice as this is going into a car with an analogue speedo (85 Celica).

On one of the detailed screens I'd like:

Speed
Short Trip
DTE or Litres used (kind of one and the same to me)
Tank l/100
Tank ODO
Voltage

Hey Mate,

My code is atrocious and embarrassing :P It's about 6 years of hacking and slaying the original code to make it work.

I can add infinite screens, and I have since added the ability to go back and forward between screens, so you wont need to cycle through them all to get to where you want. My idea is setting up as many pages designed by you guys as you give me. When being used you can leave it on yours and it'll live there. Who knows, you may like some of the others after repeated use

The Tank/DTE trips:
Tank average and ODO is obvious
DTE average and ODO is what the 'current' trip was previously on other mpguinos. It is now used to calculate DTE.. This means it can still be used as 'current' if desired. But will effect the calculation. I did long drives with this unit (Perth to Adelaide, 2600kms) numerous times so DTE was life to me.

The triangle of death is only activated when the Graph goes low or high (set by DTE avg +5L/100).

Peak is impractical due to it being around 300L/100 when you initially move unfortunately.

Perfect ideas for pages mate, I can implement immediately and take a picture. do you mean instant tho? is this what we're talking about

INSTANT
DTE L/100 (current/separate L/100 calculation separate to tank)
SPEED

and

SPEED (medium)
DTE L/100 (medium)
DTE or Litres used (CAN BE EITHER, TANK litres used maybe?) (small)
Tank l/100 (small)
Tank ODO (small)
Voltage (small)

oldtamiyaphile 03-26-2019 07:16 AM

Yes I do mean instant:thumbup:

I suggest we keep 'current' as 'current' or 'possibly short trip' or even 'current trip'? DTE l is a bit ambiguous IMO - my initial thought was that it might be from the last X minutes of driving - sort of like a Prius histogram.

I could see one screen setup for long distance drives being useful where DTE calculations are front and centre. It's also fun to watch your DTE increase as you hypermile, and this could be a good incentive for some.

So yes, definitely happy to give other people's screens a go. With the current Guino or SG you don't get a lot of freedom, so you have to prioritize a bit more.

abbalooga 03-27-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 594664)
Yes I do mean instant:thumbup:

I suggest we keep 'current' as 'current' or 'possibly short trip' or even 'current trip'? DTE l is a bit ambiguous IMO - my initial thought was that it might be from the last X minutes of driving - sort of like a Prius histogram.

I could see one screen setup for long distance drives being useful where DTE calculations are front and centre. It's also fun to watch your DTE increase as you hypermile, and this could be a good incentive for some.

So yes, definitely happy to give other people's screens a go. With the current Guino or SG you don't get a lot of freedom, so you have to prioritize a bit more.

https://i.imgur.com/LX68WVX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ju2UKXy.jpg

Hey mate,

I think that's what you were after?

Now.. I don't think I'll change the terminology on the DTE trip name.. but you can call it whatever you like on your screen..

Reason is.. It is used to set the DTE calculation in a way that suits your driving.. be it a long long term average so you know what your normal driving will deliver.. or you can reset it if you jump on a highway and want to see what to expect from new circumstances.

It cant be calculated off of the tank, as every time you drive away from the servo the average goes about 4 times what is normal, and takes the entire tank to normalize towards what is expected. And the theory on a time based recent trip amount has too many inconsistencies that wont be controllable or desirable for knowing exactly what's going on.

I'm happy to name it 'current' if you prefer to see those words on the page of your design, and you may prefer to just see what your short term average is or to use the ODO for trip measuring, but the 4 people that use this here do a split of long term, or fleeting short calculations, all for DTE use. Which is handy for timing refuels and weekend plans (fuel prices here in Perth are cheap on a Monday, and its extremely useful to at a glance see if you need to top up 15 litres at a 20% higher price or if you'll breeze through your planned trips before cheap day comes again)

Happy to make alterations, but also looking to keep things easy and controllable by the end user

oldtamiyaphile 03-27-2019 07:41 AM

My screens look great!

One suggestion for the graph, this could be asking too much but it would be really cool if the segment that represents 'current' could be picked out in another colour - say red. That way you'd have a graphical representation of whether you're above or below your target.

You could probably see this out of the corner of your eye without having to be forever reading the numbers.

This could also be an alternative use for the triangle of death. Rather than DTE +5 just DTE +0.01. The goal being to always keep the triangle off. That's kind of how I drive my van and that's how I get 6.7l/100 out of a 2 ton vehicle around Perth CBD.

I just got my Celica licensed today, so I'm keen to get my hands on one soon :thumbup:

abbalooga 03-28-2019 03:59 AM

https://i.imgur.com/B8irgn5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0Uozjux.jpg

Nice idea. Added

I think I'm on the verge of complete triangle of death removal.

Also, good work! I had my 2004 4.7L V8 Landcruiser at an all time best of 12.8L/100 over a 134L fill. Over a 1000kms out of a v8 petrol was no easy feat :P Had to do a few roe highway runs at 90 to keep the average down :P

oldtamiyaphile 03-28-2019 04:47 AM

I like the triangle of death. Just need to think of a more subtle icon IMO.

It would actually be interesting if it could be a user controlled variable. +5 is a bit silly to me as I know if I'm accelerating hard or climbing a hill etc. Coming on at just over tank AVG could make it a fun game.

But just as it stands l'd rather have it then not. It's also possibly useful as an eoc indicator.

abbalooga 04-03-2019 01:35 AM

I like the instant above tank average idea.. There's visual on the graph for the current average. this could be good

What symbol do you have in mind?

Parts and new PCB's with voltage capability are arriving soon to make 4 new units. I'll sell 4 at cost as evaluation models for testing :)

oldtamiyaphile 04-03-2019 08:14 AM

Could just be a pilot light that comes on (or goes off).

Could possibly be red when you're naughty and green when you're nice.

Whichever method seems to work in peripheral vision would get my vote.

Ecky 04-10-2019 11:57 AM

Subscribed. Nice product!

abbalooga 04-13-2019 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1581453945

How's that?

oldtamiyaphile 04-14-2019 07:53 AM

Looks good :thumbup:

Is it still going to be just ground and VE+ for power (no switched input)?

abbalooga 04-19-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 596040)
Looks good :thumbup:

Is it still going to be just ground and VE+ for power (no switched input)?

Only a switched Input ;) So she's still a 4 wire install.

I've got it sorted, it saves every vehicle stop, refill and every 4 minutes of driving incase of turning off the car mid drive for some reason.

This means negligible loss of fuel captured, and zero battery drain.

This was necessary due to the TFT not being able to restart for some reason. I put that in the way too hard basket. This works just fine.. And I calculate you can drive an average of around a million kms before the eeprom needs to shift to the next block.

Ecky 04-19-2019 09:53 AM

Happy to buy one to play with. Not hard to get imperial units, I presume?

abbalooga 04-19-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 596485)
Happy to buy one to play with. Not hard to get imperial units, I presume?

Oh wow, I haven't even thought about imperial.

I guess I could dive into the code and see what I can do to revive it!

Ecky 04-19-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbalooga (Post 596486)
Oh wow, I haven't even thought about imperial.

I guess I could dive into the code and see what I can do to revive it!

The original MPGuino could be changed between imperial and metric in its settings. Not sure how much of the original code you retained.

abbalooga 04-23-2019 04:26 AM

It took some doing, but Imperial has been re-enabled!!

It will be a setting only available upon flashing the Arduino, not on the fly, as per the original code.

It wasn't that hard but making the graph work backwards was fun :P (higher number=better economy)

Pressingonward 07-21-2019 03:53 PM

Nice looking project. I'd be interested in trying one (U.S. gallons and mpg) depending on price

abbalooga 07-29-2019 02:10 AM

after some time off I got my ass into gear and got a page ready for these bad boys to send out

http://glengineer.com.au/mpguino.htm

3 units are available for testing if anyone is interested.

thanks

Ecky 07-30-2019 10:04 PM

I might take one when I'm done replacing all of the siding and windows in my house. Estimate 2-3 months before my SO wouldn't kill me. ;)

Pressingonward 07-31-2019 09:09 AM

I'm going to pass. Your price is reasonable considering how nice your unit is, but I'm broke and can build my own mpguino for cheap or free if I can find the time lol

dwtaylorpdx 08-09-2019 01:53 AM

Nice.

JustSumDad 11-26-2019 01:48 PM

This is nice, really I am impressed.
I think tho if you want to make a little $ with less effort, I would suggest you instead of going to all this trouble, make a set of DIY instructions on building an MPGuino on say the cheap Arduino Nano with no display but instead a BT adapter and make an android APP so that peeps can just use their phone or a tablet etc as a display. Market the App for say $5 and sit back, no more building of units and all the troubleshooting that goes into that crap! Should be more reliable too as less wiring and stuff to potentially go wrong.

This is my goal, I plan (tho I am limited in ability) to build an MPGuino that interfaces to my Odroid carputer so that an app can be used as a display on it. Plan to use GPIO input pins to interface with the arduino tho not BT. Still same(ish) idea.

oldtamiyaphile 12-06-2019 03:33 AM

The car mine was going into has thrown a spaz (and I've decided to sell it on), so I've only been able to bench test mine. I think it's a great step up, it's really small for a touch screen (which is good and bad of course).

I look forward to fitting it to something though :thumbup:

bradlington 01-17-2020 01:16 AM

For our older vehicles with narrow band O2 sensors that switch at the 0,45 V to indicate rich /lean -can future code include a possible indication in one of the corners to indicate if the O2 is reading rich /lean .
Facility via menu to enable or disable readings or indicator or both .

Thanks in advance
Bradley

bradlington 01-17-2020 02:30 AM

Can this code be used on an arduino due ?
Thanks in advance

abbalooga 01-27-2020 02:30 AM

Look forward to see your fitment oldtamiyaphile!

I don't know if it'd work on the Due, it took a lot of doing to get the original code designed for the Uno to work on the Mega. I'm sure it could be done! The code here is very specific to the touch screen's I chose to use, that'd take a bit of doing to integrate it onto another type of screen also.

abbalooga 01-27-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradlington (Post 615298)
For our older vehicles with narrow band O2 sensors that switch at the 0,45 V to indicate rich /lean -can future code include a possible indication in one of the corners to indicate if the O2 is reading rich /lean .
Facility via menu to enable or disable readings or indicator or both .

Thanks in advance
Bradley

Good idea

I haven't thought about doing this myself as all experience ive had with the closed loop systems Toyota run are very tidy on the air/fuel ratio. Basically its a constant teeter between rich/lean when in closed loop and punching the throttle always shows rich.

I could program in a red/green flashing box, that stays red when the speed is >0 and the fuel usage is >average :P aha then it'd be a wireless feature ;)

bradlington 01-27-2020 05:04 AM

A concern I have with the mpguino is the use of parameters.
The code does not take into account load .

Example my vehicle being a 2.5 l engine on idle with no load has a pulse width of 2,5 ms.
If I enter this into the code , I could get a reasonable accurate measurement .

The moment I have load such as headlights or going up an incline or wot , the pulse width is then varied according to the map being used at the time .

So for average it may turn out as an accurate account but for load variations I do not see it being that accurate .
I am yet to connect mine up and see for myself , but am assuming the code does not measure the pulse width as part of the code and purely going on pulses per minute for its base calculation.

abbalooga 01-27-2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradlington (Post 616116)
A concern I have with the mpguino is the use of parameters.
The code does not take into account load .

Example my vehicle being a 2.5 l engine on idle with no load has a pulse width of 2,5 ms.
If I enter this into the code , I could get a reasonable accurate measurement .

The moment I have load such as headlights or going up an incline or wot , the pulse width is then varied according to the map being used at the time .

So for average it may turn out as an accurate account but for load variations I do not see it being that accurate .
I am yet to connect mine up and see for myself , but am assuming the code does not measure the pulse width as part of the code and purely going on pulses per minute for its base calculation.

oh no sir, the MPGuino is extremely accurate.

the MPGuino measures pulse width of the injectors. it also counts injection pulses per second for an RPM number, but this is secondary.

A typical injected car has a fuel rail with a constant pressure maintained by a regulator on the fuel return side. this is also balanced by the pressure differential felt on the manifold side of the injector. This creates an exact known quantity of fuel for given pulse time that the cars ECU can then manage. The ECU adjusts the pulse width of the injector to adjust how much fuel is added per cycle of the cylinder as the load changes. the MPGuino measures this signal in microseconds.

It has shown itself to be extremely accurate. My 100 series Landcruiser takes over 120L to fill, and each time it has been within 0.5L of what the MPGuino thinks I've used. Aha I believe this to be an inaccuracy of how many clicks I do on the nozzle myself though aha

The only thing the MPGuino cannot compensate for is fuel density through change in fuel temperature. But this would only be if the average temperature of the fuel has deviated by more than say 20DegC since calibration, and this hasn't proven to be an issue in real use. Even on a hot day and cool night, the fuel itself deep within the car doesn't have time to change temperature all that much, and generally remains somewhere in the middle.

bradlington 01-27-2020 09:50 AM

Thank you for the confirmation of which I must have overlooked the inner workings .
Good that the width is measured as this was indeed something that I was misinformed on .

As far as your accuracy this is very impressive and gives me some confidence in going this route .

Thanks again for your time .

abbalooga 03-27-2020 05:11 AM

Reduced the price slightly to try and move the 2 units i have left, link in the first post.

Imperial and Metric switching now available by the user :)